Ikirun Bank Robbery: Police Present Recovered Arms In Court

Ikirun Bank Robbery: Police Present Recovered Arms In Court
  • PublishedNovember 5, 2017

Revelations have emerged on how the robbers that attacked two banks in Ikirun, Ifelodun Local Government Area of Osun State in February 12, 2016, operated for 45 minutes.

A witnessed called by the state prosecution on Thursday, SP Oluwaseyi Adedayo, explained that the robbers took over the town for 45 minutes, firing and killing people.

The witness who was the Divisional Police Officer, DPO, Iragbiji in Boripe local government, said the robbers arrived the banks with a Primera car, snatched from First City Monument Bank and one Armada Jeep snatched from Oba Orangun of Ila.

Adedayo who was led in evidence by the prosecution team led by Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Dr. Ajibola Basiru, said three AK47 riffle were recovered from the robbers during faceoff.

“I returned from DPOs conference on that day. As I entered my office in Iragbiji Police station. I received a call from one Cpl Olumide Owojobi that Ikirun town has been taken over by armed robbers

“I left Iragbiji with Armed Personnel Carrier, APC. The road leading to the banks’ street had been blocked by the armed robbers when I got to Ikirun.

“I maneuvered a road from the back of the bank, immediately they saw me and my team in the APC, they opened fire us. I tried to dispatch them with teargas buy they didn’t turn back. It was then I shot and killed three of them immediately.

“They have taken over the town because the operation lasted for 45minutes. I met the first accused person, Nuhu in a pool of blood, holding gun. Three AK47, 7magazines, were recovered from them.

The second witness, DSP Gabriel Ogwuche, who said he was a Surveillance Patrol Officer, explained to the court how he lied down to arrest one of the accused persons, Ndubisi David.

He said the accused person was hidden between two fridges at a refrigeration  workshop beside the bank, when he rolled on the ground and arrested him.

A staff of First Bank, Mr. Jegede Matthew Ayodele, who said he was the Head Cash Officer, revealed how the robbers invaded the bank with sporadic shooting.

Meanwhile, the fourth accused person, Ogundunmade Kayode, was granted bail in the sum of N2million with a member of House of Assembly and a monarch in the state standing for him.

Justice Jide Falola also said the accused must swear to an oath that he would be attending proceedings till the end of the matter.

His counsel, a legal aide counsel, Mrs. Oluwayemisi Akintajuwa, had applied for his bail due to the mental challenges she said the accused was facing.

The case was however adjourned indefinitely for further hearing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *