Properties worth millions of naira have been destroyed in a fire incident that gutted a bungalow belonging to one Mr. Bamidele, at Igbo Ile Area of Ikirun, Osun State.
Osun Defender learnt that the fire was caused by one occupant of the house who lit a candle in her room and went to church for prayers.
A statement by Kehinde Adeleke, Public Relations Officer Of Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps, said the fire incident occured at 12:30am on Monday.
Adeleke also said there was no life lost in the fire but properties worth millions were destroyed.
He however urged residents and the general public to exercise caution and stay away from anything that may cause fire especially during the dry season.
He said: “The fire incident occured at 00:30am according to informant and officers and men of the corps visited the scene and sympathizers were met on ground with frowned faces.
“No life was lost but properties worth millions were destroyed.
“One of the occupants of the building said a tenant lit a candle in her room, locked the door and headed to the church for prayers. It was one tenant in the house that woke in the middle of the night and raised the alarm before others were rescued.
“We advised those at the scene to be careful of the fire especially in this dry season,” he added.
Hafsoh Isiaq is a graduate of Linguistics. An avid writer committed to creative, high-quality research and news reportage. She has considerable experience in writing and reporting across a variety of platforms including print and online.