Boko Haram Attacks Again, Many Killed, Others Abducted

Boko Haram has again attacked leaving several dead and abducting other. The attack happened today Tuesday in Pallam community in Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa, local officials and residents have said.

The attack came barely a week after the terrorists launched a similar attack on neighbouring Wanu, Kamale and Kafin Hausa communities of Michika and Madagali areas.

Pallam is the hometown of the Deputy Speaker of the Adamawa State House of Assembly, Emmanuel Tsamdu.

Fleeing residents said the onslaught lasted for about five hours.

“They sneaked into our town Pallam, midnight at about 11 p.m., and started shooting sporadically, killing and burning houses. They (Boko Haram) abducted some of our people mostly men.

“I escaped by the whiskers and fled into a nearby hiding place before escaping; no soldier came to our rescue. For now I can’t tell the exact figures of the casualty. It was terrible!’’ a fleeing resident, Abamu Japhet, said.

Confirming the night attack, a member representing Madagali, Michika at the House of Representatives, Adamu Kamale, said the terrorists, ”killed even livestock, looted and burnt many houses.”

“I had a distress call that they have again launched night attack at Pallam. As I am talking to you now, the casualty figures is yet to be ascertained but they killed and abducted people and also burnt houses. Even before this attack, the terrorists had earlier ransacked Wanu, Kamale and Kafin Hausa communities. Infact, hardly a day will pass without attack, let the government wake up.

“We want President Buhari to visit us and see the horrible scenario being meted on our communities,’’ he said. When contacted, police spokesman in the state, Othman Abubakar, said he is yet to be briefed on the development.

“I am yet to get details of the attack but I will get back to you later,” he said.

Boko Haram appears to have intensified its onslaught in recent weeks in its eight-year bloody insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives in the North-east.

 

 

B’Haram Factional Leader Wounded

The Nigerian Army on Friday said one of the Boko Haram factional leaders, Mamman Nur, was wounded in an ongoing clearance operation by troops in Lake Chad region.

Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Operation Lafiya Dole, made the disclosure in a statement issued in Maiduguri.

Nwachukwu said that Nur sustained “fatal injuries” following artillery and aerial bombardments of Boko Haram insurgents enclaves in Lake Chad basin.

He said evaluation report indicated that Nur was wounded while trying to flee the area, adding that a great number of his commanders were also injured or killed during the operation.

The army spokesman disclosed that several insurgents who fled the onslaught had surrendered to security forces in Niger Republic.

“The ongoing artillery and aerial bombardments of Boko Haram enclaves in the Lake Chad region by troops of Operation Lafiya Dole has continued to yield positive results.

“Currently an evaluation report of the ongoing operation indicates that a major factional leader of the terrorists group, Mamman Nur has been fatally injured in the bombardment, as he and his sub commanders fled from the onslaught.

“Also, several of his foot soldiers have been killed by troops, while many of the insurgents who escaped are now surrendering to Niger Defence Forces, following the Amnesty granted the insurgents by the Government of Niger Republic,” Nwachukwu said.

The report of the shooting of Mamman Nur came as another factional leader of the Boko Haram terrorist group, claimed responsibility for last month’s attack against a Nigerian army barrack at Kannama, near the Niger border.

They also stole some military equipment.

The jihadist faction said in an online statement published by the Islamic State’s West Africa Province (ISWAP) that it had orchestrated the raid on army barracks in the town of Kanamma in northeast Yobe state, according to the SITE Intelligence group, which monitors jihadist activity.

Boko Haram has long been divided, but in 2016 it suffered a major split when the Islamic State group recognised Abu Mus’ab al-Barnawi, the son of dead Boko Haram founder Muhammad Yusuf, as leader.

NAN

Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Resurfaces In New Video, Claims Yuletide Attacks

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau released a video message on Tuesday claiming a series of attacks in northeast Nigeria during the festive season.

The shadowy leader released his first video message in months amid a surge in violence casting doubt on the Nigerian government’s claim that the terrorist group is defeated.

“We are in good health and nothing has happened to us,” said Shekau in the 31-minute video message spoken in the Hausa language common across northern Nigeria.

“Nigerian troops, police and those creating mischief against us can’t do anything against us, and you will gain nothing,” he said.

“We carried out the attacks in Maiduguri, in Gamboru, in Damboa. We carried out all these attacks.”

The video then shows footage from a Christmas Day attack on a military checkpoint in Molai village on the outskirts of the northeast Nigerian city of Maiduguri, which the military said was thwarted by troops after one hour of battle.

Boko Haram fighters in torn clothes were shown shooting from the back of battered pickup trucks.

Shekau’s message comes during an acceleration of Boko Haram attacks and just days after the jihadists killed 25 people outside Maiduguri, the birthplace of the insurgency.

In December, Boko Haram attacked convoys of Nigerian soldiers and dispatched suicide bombers into crowded markets in towns across northeast Nigeria.

At least 50 people were killed in November when a suicide bomber blew himself up at a mosque in Adamawa state.

But Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said in his New Year address that Boko Haram has been “beaten”.
“Isolated attacks still occur, but even the best-policed countries cannot prevent determined criminals from committing terrible acts of terror,” said Buhari.

Shekau, a leader known for his lengthy, wild-eyed video messages, took over Boko Haram in 2009 after the death of its founder Muhammad Yusuf.

Boko Haram, whose insurgency has left at least 20,000 dead in Nigeria since it began in 2009, has long been fractionalised.

In 2016 it suffered a major split, when the so-called Islamic State group recognised Yusuf’s son, Abu Mus’ab al-Barnawi, as leader.

AFP

Blood Bath As Boko Haram Attacks Military Base In Yobe

A military base in Yobe was reportedly attacked b y Boko Haram Insurgents on Saturday night, killing five soldiers.

According to reports about 30 soldiers are still missing.

The army, however, denied it suffered any casualties. The spokesman of 3 Division, Nigerian Army in Damaturu said;

“Yes, there was an attack on our troops two days ago by Boko Haram terrorists in Kannama town. It was, however, repelled. Our soldiers are in hot pursuit of the fleeing insurgents,”

However the Guardian has reported that a credible top security source said that about five soldiers were found dead and evacuated to Maiduguri, adding that about 30 others were still missing.

An eyewitness, Bukar, said the attackers arrived in seven Toyota Hilux vans. “We thought they were soldiers because everything about them was like soldiers, their dressing, their vehicles, everything. They passed through the town but did not touch anybody. They went straight to the military base. Then we started hearing heavy gunshots,” he said.

Meanwhile, Borno State governor, Kashim Shettima, at the weekend, ordered council chairmen and workers to return to liberated communities and restore civil authority.

He gave the directive while swearing in 27 local government caretaker chairmen at Government House, Maiduguri, noting he had instructed the Local Government Service Commission to put in place mechanisms to punish any worker who flouted the order.

The military’s Operation Lafiya Dole liberated over a dozen council areas including Ngala, a border community with Cameroon between 2014 and 2016.

Notwithstanding, all is not clear in some local government areas, like Marte, Abadam, Guzamala, Kala/Balge, Bama and Gwoza East.

“You should relocate to respective liberated communities, to ensure that civil authority is restored. The immediate relocation and return must be done alongside your workers,” said Shettima.

He also warned: “It is not yet time for politicking. Any government official that wants to embark on politicking should resign, because we are going on a massive provision of dividends of democracy to the people in the first six months of 2018.”

 

Four Killed, Several Injured In Borno Suicide Bomb Attack

At least four people have been reported dead and several injured in a suicide bomb attack on Thursday at Amarwa community of Konduga Local Government Area of Borno.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the incident occurred at about 2 p.m. when a male suicide bomber infiltrated the village and detonated an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) strapped to his body.

An eye witness, Bukar Fantai, told NAN that the bomber managed to sneak into the village disguising as a grain merchant. Fantai said that the insurgent first approached a shop keeper and offered sorghum for sale.

He said the terrorist, thereafter, went to a shade where many villagers gathered for relaxation and detonated the explosive.

“The suicide bomber detonated the IED, blew up himself, killing some, while 13 others sustained injuries in the explosion,” he said.

A competent security source confirmed the attack to NAN, saying that the wounded persons were referred to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) for treatment.

The source said that Police EOD and patrol teams had been deployed to sanitise the scene of the attack, adding that normalcy had been restored to the area.

Police and military authorities have yet to comment on the incident.

 

 

13 Chibok Girls Die In Boko Haram Custody

Snake bite, hunger and malaria have killed thirteen of the 276 Chibok schoolgirls in Boko Haram custody.

The girls were kidnapped from their school in Chibok, Borno State by Boko Haram in 2014.

Of the 276 kidnapped schoolgirls, 163 are now free; while 57 fled in the early days after their abduction, three more escaped later, and a Swiss-coached mediation secured 103.

The Wall Street Journal, WSJ, reports that 13 of the girls have lost their lives during their nearly three years in Boko Haram custody.

WSJ report said, “Of the remaining 113, at least 13 have died, officials say.

“Some were felled by malaria, hunger or a snake bite.

“The majority died in airstrikes. Among those forcibly married to fighters, at least two died in childbirth.”

President Muhammadu Buhari had, after the release of the last batch of the girls numbering 82, promised to ensure the last of the girls returned home to the families.

Troops Hinder B/Haram Planned Attack In Maiduguri

Nigerian troops on Monday repelled an attack by suspected Boko Haram insurgents at a security check point few kilometres away from Maiduguri.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) gathered that the incident occurred at about 5: 30 PM, at Moloi area, on outskirts of Maiduguri.

The insurgents were said to have torched some houses and vandalized vehicles on Maiduguri-Damboa-Biu Road.

An eye witness, Aji Maina, said that the insurgents attacked and shot sporadically, a situation which made the villagers to scamper for safety and fled their homes.

Maina said that the residents of Moloi and adjourning villages had to run into Polo and other areas of Maiduguri for safety.

He, however, said that soldiers deployed to the area engaged the insurgents and repelled the attack.

“The insurgents attacked the ED security section, torched houses and motorists caught in the cross fire.

“At present, no one can ascertain the extent of damages or casualties in the attack.

“Many people fled their homes and scampered for safety into Maiduguri,” he said.

NAN reports, however, that security had been beefed up in the metropolis to thwart any breach of peace while people were going about their normal activities.

The Police and military authorities are yet to comment on the incident.

Troops Kill 20 Boko Haram Members, Recover Weapons

Troops serving under the Operation Lafiya Dole in Borno State have killed 20 Boko Haram members and uncovered deadly weapons from them.

A statement from the Deputy Director Public Relations, Colonel Timothy Antigha, on Wednesday, said the soldiers were able to arrest 17 of the sect members while rescuing over 100 people.

The feat, according to Antigha, was made possible following a supported air bombardment by the Nigerian Air Force.

It read in part: “In continuation of Operation DEEP PUNCH 2, designed to smoke out Boko Haram terrorists inhabiting remote islands in Lake Chad basin lying within the Nigerian territory, troops of 8 Division, Nigerian Army, on Operation LAFIYA DOLE, supported by soldiers of the Armed Forces Strike Group have inflicted heavy casualty on the Boko Haram terrorists.

“The operation which commenced about two weeks ago was proceeded by coordinated air and artillery bombardment of islands and localities occupied by terrorists, and from where they sneak into Magumeri, Kauram and other locations to loot property and attack security personnel and villagers.

“So far, 20 terrorists have been killed, captured 17 others, while over 100 elderly men, women and children have been rescued. Preliminary investigation has revealed that a large number of the rescued persons were held against their will and forced to work on farms under life-threatening conditions and penurious wages. More investigation and interviews will be conducted before the rescued persons are handed over for further action.”

Weapons purportedly recovered from the terrorist include 3 Toyota Land Cruiser Gun Trucks, 5 AK-47 Riffles, 3 Fabrique Nationals (FN) Riffles, 2 G3 Riffles and 1 Pump Action Rifle.

Other items were 1 Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) tube, 2 Bombs, 2 Very High Frequency (VHF) Radios and 1 Night Vision Google.

The troops also recovered 55 Rounds of 5.56 X 45mm ammunition, 5 Bangalore Torpedo, Two 120mm Mortar Bombs, 1000 Rounds of 7.62mm Ball Metal Link Ammunition, 55 Rounds of
7.62mm Ammunition and 108 Rounds of 12.7mm Ammunition with links, as well as 2 memory cards, 2 Hydraulic Jacks and a 1.5 Amph Battery.

While saying that no soldier was killed, the army spokesman, however, explained that six soldiers sustained various injuries and “have since been evacuated for prompt medical attention.”

Boko Haram Is Defeated But Winning The Peace Is Critical- APC

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has fired back at the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for accusing it of attempting to “fritter away our national savings” through the $1 billion approved for the Boko Haram war.

Meanwhile state governors had last week agreed to take out the sum from the excess crude account for the fight against insurgency. Subsequently, the PDP had criticised the move and accused the APC of misleading Nigerians that Boko Haram was defeated.

Reacting in a statement on Monday, Bolaji Abdullahi, the national publicity secretary of the APC, said the PDP’s allegation that the $1bn was meant for the 2019 election is baseless.

“We can understand why it is easy for the PDP to arrive at its ludicrous allegation. A similar approval in excess of $2bn was granted to the PDP government when they were in power,” he said.

“They knew what they did with the money. It is a classic case of a serial killer who sees even a table knife as a murder weapon.

“The PDP presided over a government that made it possible for money meant for weapons to be diverted into paying marabouts and all manner of political jobbers ahead of the 2015 elections.

“Therefore, the PDP thinks the same thing is about to happen. They have not realised that it is a new day and President Muhammadu Buhari will not play politics with money meant to protect the lives of innocent Nigerians or allow anyone to engage in such brigandage that Nigerians suffered under the PDP.”

The APC said although Boko Haram is technically defeated, “more weapons and training” are required for the military to win the peace.

“Winning the peace remains a critical phase of warfare. The PDP does not understand that winning the peace is as important as winning the war,” Abdullahi said.

“There is therefore no contradiction in saying that Boko Haram is technically defeated and saying that more weapons and training are needed for our military and the military of neighbouring countries whose cooperation is necessary to finally rid our countries of the menace of Boko Haram.”

 

Four Killed As Boko Haram Attacks UN Convey

Suspected Boko Haram members this weekend attacked and killed four United Nation’s World Food Programme (WFP) aides that were conveying food items to residents of Ngala, Borno state. The sect members carted away the food items that were being transported.

In a statement released this morning, the spokeswoman of the agency, Jane Howard, said

“WFP can confirm that a convoy escorted by the Nigerian military including WFP-hired trucks was the subject of an attack by armed groups 35 km southwest of Ngala in Borno State on Saturday. Four people, including the driver of a WFP-hired truck and a driver’s assistant, were killed in the incident. WFP is working with the authorities to determine the whereabouts of the trucks”

The Nigerian military is yet to react to this attack. This would not be the first time members of the UN would be attacked. Recall that an attack which left two of its members injured lead to the UN suspending aid deliveries in Borno.

 

220 Terrorists Captured

Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Operation Lafiya Dole has revealed that about 220 suspected Boko Haram terrorists have been captured by the Nigerian Army in various operations to clear North East region of insurgents.

Nwachukwu said “Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole have intensified offensive on Boko Haram enclaves in the Island around Lake Chad.

“The offensive which commenced about two weeks ago with coordinated air and artillery bombardments on Boko Haram enclaves is yielding positive results, as several insurgents have been killed while 167 fleeing insurgents have been captured by troops.

“Troops also extricated and profiled 67 women and 173 children who revealed during profiling exercise that they are family members of the insurgents who fled the troops’ offensive…

“During the operations troops intercepted and arrested 53 fleeing insurgents who have been profiled and are currently helping with investigations.

“Fifteen insurgents have also willingly renounced the sect and surrendered, dismissing it as futile struggle”.