Osun APC Guber Primary Now Holds On Friday

The All Progressives Congress has shifted its postponed its primary election for the Osun Governorship Election originally scheduled to hold on Thursday July 19 to Friday July 20.

The 59th-minute-of-the-eleventh-hour postponement was announced by Bolaji Abdullahi, National Publicity Secretary of the party, very late on Wednesday night.

“The All Progressives Congress (APC) Primaries to elect the Party’s candidate for the forthcoming Osun State Governorship election has been postponed from Thursday 19th July, 2018 to Friday 20th July, 2018,” Abdullahi said in a statement.

Abdullahi adduced Logistic reasons for the postponement.

51 Inmates Captured After Jail Break In Minna

The Controller of Prisons in the state, Mr Mustapha Iliyasu revealed to newsmen in Minna on Wednesday that 51 inmates have been recaptured by the Nigeria Prisons Service in Niger out of the 210 inmates who escaped from the Minna Medium Security Prison on June 3.

Iliyasu said that the inmates were recaptured through the combined efforts of security agencies in the state.

According to him, prison officials and other security operatives are making concerted efforts to recapture the remaining inmates. He appealed to the public to assist the service with useful information that would aid the recapturing of the fleeing inmates.

He said that security had been tightened in and around all prison formations in the state, to forestall future recurrence.

The controller appealed to the state government to make good its promise of assisting the service with logistics to ease operational duties.

Attack on the Prison by gunmen also led to the death of two persons.

22 Boko Haram Insurgents Nabbed In Borno

At least 22 suspected Boko Haram members have been arrested by the Borno State Police command.

According to reports, amongst those arrested were members responsible for the kidnapping of the Chibok girls in 2014. Recall that the insurgents had in 2014 abducted over 200 students of the Government Secondary School, Chibok in Borno.

The Commissioner of Police, Mr Damian Chukwu, disclosed this while presenting the suspects to Journalists on Wednesday in Maiduguri. Chukwu disclosed that 8 of the suspects were Boko Haram members and top commanders responsible for the Kidnapping of Chibok School Girls, and over 50 suicide bomb attacks in Maiduguri and parts of Adamawa.

He added that some of the suspects participated in the invasion of Bama and Gwoza and carried out various attacks on security agencies and civilians in the North-East.

He said that the arrests were made in the past two weeks in Borno and Yobe sequel to the deployment of the IGP’s Intelligence Response Team (IRT) under the command of DCP Abba Kyari.

According to him, the suspects included eight insurgents who participated in the abduction of the schools girls; three top commanders, two logistic suppliers and 17 fighters.

He listed those who participated in the abduction of the school girls as a 23-year old Mayinta Modu, aka Abor, Adam Mohammed, 20; Gujja Jidda, 21 and Mamman Wardi, 25.

Others suspects were: Modu Jidda, 29; Ajiri Bulama Dungus, 22; Mohammed Abba, 20; and Fannami Mustapha, 22.

Chukwu said that the suspects had confessed to have participated in the Chibok School Girls abduction and coordinated various suicide bomb attacks.

He identified one Adam Mustapha, 20, as the mastermind behind series of suicide bomb attacks in Maiduguri and Adamawa.

He explained that the suspects conveyed female and male suicide bombers from Sambisa forest to different locations in Maiduguri and Adamawa to carry out the attack.

“The suspect confessed to be the mastermind of the suicide bomb attack in Baga road, Bulunkutu, Custom, Post Office, 3-3 housing and Muna area of Maiduguri. The attack led to the destruction of lives and property.

“One Mustapha Kanimbu, aka Aaramma, 20 years old; native of Mobbar Borno, is one of the Boko Haram Terrorists commanders, who supplies logistics to the group members in Sambisa and also confessed to have participated in several attacks and killing of hundreds of people in Maiduguri.

“While, Ibrarahim Mala, 48 years old; native of Gwoza local government area of Borno, is one of the insurgents’ commanders, who lives in Dalori karekere area of Maiduguri, supplied food and logistics to his members in the Sambisa Forrest,” he said.

Chukwu revealed that other members of the insurgents group were: Abdullahi Mohammed Gawi, 23; Maina Adam, 35; Wano Musa, 27; Ishaka Musa, 26; Abubakar Mohammed, 28; Usman Umar, 28; Maina Abba, 27; Maina Gambo, 24; Abubakar Kori, 25; and Bukar Abatcha, 39.

He disclosed that a 35-year-old; Muhammad Bashir, aka Kalijango, who hails from Gambaru Ngala and a member of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), was also arrested for aiding the insurgents’ logistics supply.

According to him, the suspects were helping the police with useful information to arrest other fleeing insurgents and their commanders.

LASG, NUPENG, Port Authority Vows To Sustain Effort On Apapa Clean-Up

The Lagos State Government, Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), the Apapa Ports Authority and other stakeholders have vowed to work together to sustain a clean environment in an ongoing effort to sanitise the Apapa area of the state.

This was revealed during a meeting in Apapa on Wednesday by the Lagos State Ministry of the Environment (MOE), Port Authorities, NUPENG, Tank Farm Owners, National Association of Road Transport Owners (NARTO), Community Development Associations (CDAs) and Apapa Local Government which was chaired by the Special Adviser to the Governor on the Environment, Mr. Babatunde Hunpe, was held to foster ownership of the sanitation initiatives in the area.

Following the pervasive disorder and attendant environmental infractions in the Apapa area of the State, the Lagos State Government, through the Ministry of the Environment, had intervened to restore sanity in the environment.

The Special Adviser said that the cooperation of all stakeholders was necessary to achieve a clean environment and restore the beauty of the area.

Hunpe said that the concerned associations within the port authority should come together to form a strong team that would own and sustain the ongoing efforts of the government.

To address indiscriminate waste disposed along the road, he stated that government had decided to add two additional Waste Collection Operators to mop up waste from the road, in addition to the placement of refuse bins at strategic locations.

He noted that several environmental infractions such as littering and open defecation were outcomes of the undue presence of trailers on the road.

His words: “under normal circumstances, the expressway ought to be free but because of the anomalies in this area which keeps trailers perpetually on the road, drivers, together with hawkers who have taken advantage of the situation, have contributed largely to the abuse of the environment”

He urged all stakeholders to cooperate with Commercial Waste Operators and ensure the provision of mobile toilets, while urging NUPENG to enlighten tanker drivers on the values of clean environment.

Hunpe said the Ministry of the Environment would also prevail on the Public Works Corporation to assist in clearing the drainage.

He noted that the Port Authority had identified the root cause of the degeneration of the environment to be non-provision of holding bays by the shipping companies and had commenced strategies to ensure the provision of this important facility, adding that the end of such situation in which trailer overtook the road was in sight.

Teachers Give Obaseki 15-Day Ultimatum To Meet Demands

Edo State Goverment has been given an ultimatum by the state chapter of Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUJ).

The union gave the state a deadline of the end of the month to meet up with all its entitlements while also commending the government for the prompt payment of teachers monthly salaries, payment of leave transport grant at point of entry, release of promotions up to year 2015, restoration of annual incremental credits, payment of substantial amount as arrears of retired teachers pensions and investment in the upgrade of primary education through Edo Best programme.

The teachers’ union, in a communique after its State Wing Executive Council (SWEC) meeting held earlier in the month, called on its members to remain calm and await further directives from the leadership.

Pius Osikhena Okhueleigbe and Mike Modesty Itua, State Chairman and Acting Secretary of NUT respectively, who signed the communique, threatened that if the state government failed to address issues raised by the union, an enlarged/ extra-ordinary meeting of SWEC would be convened to take further actions as may be deemed appropriate.

The union lamented the non-implementation of financial benefits of 2013, 2014 and 2015 promotions to primary school teachers since January, 2018, non-implementation of N25,000 minimum wage increases for primary school teachers since May, 2016 and non-payment of 2016/2017 leave transport grant arrears to some primary school teachers.

Other demands include the non-implementation of the already approved extended new nomenclatures for primary school teachers in the state, non- provision of subventions to public primary and secondary schools in the state since year 2012, non-release of 2016/2017 promotions for public primary and secondary school teachers and inadequate teaching personnel in public primary and secondary schools in Edo state which has rendered teaching and learning ineffective in schools.

Breaking: APC Postpones Osun Governorship Primary Election

The All Progressives Congress APC in the State of Osun has postponed its planned governorship primary slated for tomorrow.
In a statement on Wednesday by the party’s Director of Publicity, Research and Strategy, Barr Kunle Oyatomi, the party cited unforeseen circumstances as the major reason for the postponement.
The statement however said the new date for the primary election will be communicated in no distant time.
Oyatomi said “Due to unforseen development, the All Progressives Congress in the state of Osun has announced the postponement of the primary to choose its gubernatorial flagbearer for September 22 election that was supposed to hold tomorrow, July 19, 2018.”
“The party regretted this development but promised that sooner than later, a new date will be fixed.”
“ALL party members should be at alert.”

Miyetti Allah: No Plan To Attack Cross River Community

The Cross River State Branch of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria has debunked rumours that Fulani herdsmen were planning to attack residents of Obanliku Local Government Area of Cross River.

The Chairman of the association, Alhaji Hassan Abo, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria on Wednesday in Calabar, described the rumour as “devilish and wicked’’.

Abo said that cattle breeders in Obanliku had been living peacefully with residents of the local government over the years, adding that the unity should not be destroyed with fake rumour.

“It is not true that Fulani herdsmen are planning to attack any community in Obanliku Local Government or any other area in the state.

“As an umbrella body of the breeders association, we want to state clearly that we are peace loving people, residing here in Cross River State.

“We urge government and the security agencies to bring anyone found wanting to book. I want to applaud Gov. Ben Ayade for his efforts in protecting lives and property of all residents in the state.

Alhaji Yusuf Usman, the Chief Imam of Obudu Mosque, told NAN in a telephone interview that the rumour got to them late on July 17.

Usman said that the information, which had caused panic in the area, had reduced the distance breeders go with their cattle to search for pasture.

“Due to the rumour, we are now scared. Some cattle breeders can no longer move freely because members of the community are now seeing them as their enemies.

“The rumour that Fulani herdsmen are planning to attack them is false. Obudu and Obanliku Local Governments are very close and I want to state clearly that we have no such plan against our host communities.

“I wish to assure the state government and security agencies that we will not allow breakdown of law and order from our members in this area,’’ he said.

NAN

Osun APC Urges Party Members To Come Out For Governorship Primaries

The State of Osun Chapter of the All Progressives Congress APC has urged its members to come out en-masse for tomorrow’s party primaries to elect its candidate for the September 22 governorship election in the state.

The party’s image maker, Barr Kunle Oyatomi made the call in a statement on Wednesday.

Read the full statement below:

Come out en masse to choose your gov’ship candidate – APC 

All members of All Progressives Congress in the state of Osun are required to assemble at their wards’ polling booths throughout the state from 8am tomorrow to fully participate in the party’s direct primary scheduled to hold Thursday, July 19 2018.

The party’s flagbearer for the September 22 governorship election will be elected by direct voting of all party members to ensure that whoever emerges truly represents the majority choice of the APC.

It is also important that members must come to the polling centres with their APC identity cards to authenticate their membership.

We all have a stake in deciding who should succeed our exceptional leader, Ogbeni Rauf Adesoji Aregbesola as the new governor of the state. It is a duty we all must be proud to perform tomorrow in the best interest of the state in general and our party in particular.

Finally members should turn out en masse for tomorrow’s primary and we urge everyone to be peaceful responsible and orderly.

Signed

Barr Kunle Oyatomi Esq

Director, Publicity, Research and Strategy, 

Osun APC.

Police Drag Landlord, Wife To Court For Allegedly Breaking Into Tenant’s Shop

By Sodiq Lawal

The Moore Police Division in Ile Ife has arraigned a septuagenarian, Kolawole Fabanwo, and his 28-year-old wife, Oladejo Nasifat, before an Osun State Magistrate Court II in the town for allegedly breaking into a tenant’s shop.

The Prosecutor, Insp Sunday Osanyintuyi, told the court that the accused committed the offence on July 10 at about 9:00 pm at Oduduwa Estate, Ile-Ife.

Osanyintuyi said that the accused persons were arraigned on a four-count charge bordering on conspiracy, shop-breaking and stealing.

He said Fabanwo forcibly broke and entered into the shop of one Akinloye Mary without her consent with intent to commit felony.

According to him, Fabanwo stole a Fonix sewing machine; one Amno green weaving machine; one pressing iron; two buckets of paint, three suit materials and five yards of dry lace, all totalling N99,000.

The prosecutor stated further that Nasifat in July, 2017 at about 6pm stole a blue readymade gown and one red colour Da Vivia gown, valued at N5, 000, property of Mary.

The prosecutor said that the offences contravened sections 81, 383, 390 (9) and 516 of the Criminal Code, Laws of Osun, 2002.

The accused persons, however, pleaded not guilty to the four-counts charge.

The defence counsel, Miss Marian Lai-Ibrahim, pleaded for her clients bail, saying they would provide reliable sureties.

Magistrate Olalekan Ijiyode granted bail to the accused in the sum of N100,000 with one surety each in like sum.

Ijiyode added that sureties must swear to an affidavit of means, reside within the court’s jurisdiction, provide two passport photographs while their addresses must be verified by court officials.

The case was adjourned till Aug. 17 for hearing.

Breaking: FG Unveils New National Carrier, Nigerian Air 

By Nofisat Marindoti 

The Federal Government has revealed the name and logo for the new National Carrier.

Speaking at the Farnborough International Airshow in London, Minister of State for Aviation, Hadi Sirika, disclosed that the National Carrier would be called “Nigerian Air”.

Farnborough is one of the biggest Airshows in the world, where decision makers and industry experts gather every two years to do business.

The Minister also disclosed that the Nigerian Government will not own more than 5% (maximum) of the new National Carrier, adding that Government will not be involved in running it or deciding who runs it.

“We want to use this new private-sector-led airline to make a statement that, ‘Yes, Nigeria can do it!’ and we also want to promote our cultures and traditions. It will also create economic opportunities and jobs. The new National Carrier will bring Nigeria closer to the world.

“81 routes (domestic, regional and international) identified for now, for #NigeriaAir, out of more than a thousand considered” he added.

See photos from the ceremony shared on Twitter handles:

Minister of State, Aviation, Hadi Sirika unveiling Nigeria Air in London.

    

 

Man Machetes 65-Year-Old Mother To Death In Osun

By Nofisat Marindoti 

The Osun State Police Command has apprehended a 40-year-old man, Sifau Michael, who allegedly killed his 65-year-old mother.

The Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO Folashade Odoro, who disclosed this, added that the case was reported by someone in Ikonifin town, in Ola-Oluwa Local Government Area of the state.

Odoro disclosed that Michael machete his mother, Aolat Sifau, at about 2.30pm on July 16, 2018 in Ikonifin.

The police spokesperson said the suspect has been arrested and the corpse moved to the hospital.

She said the police had commenced investigation into the matter and taken necessary action against the culprit.