Osun Assembly Charges UNIOSUN On Students’ Safety

By Israel Afolabi The State of Osun House of Assembly has directed the management of the state owned university, UNIOSUN to embark on adequate measures to further guarantee the safety of lives and property of students and the entire University Community. Chairman, House Committee on Education Hon. Folorunso Bamisayemi gave the directive on Friday after…”
Yusuf
January 26, 2018 8:23 pm

By Israel Afolabi

The State of Osun House of Assembly has directed the management of the state owned university, UNIOSUN to embark on adequate measures to further guarantee the safety of lives and property of students and the entire University Community.

Chairman, House Committee on Education Hon. Folorunso Bamisayemi gave the directive on Friday after inspection of the scene of gas leakage that injured a number of students.

The chairman who observed the affected Fire Extinguisher which was found to be genuine contrary to insinuation on its expiration attributed the incident to poor handling of the fire equipment.

He directed the authorities of UNIOSUN to take urgent action and create additional entrance and exit route in the affected lecture room.

According to him “We thank God there is no fatality; we did not lose any student to the incident. It is unfortunate that such incident happened to our students “he added.

He also charged the school management to decongest the lecture halls for the safety of the students.

The committee later visited the hospitals where the affected students were rushed to in order to commiserate with them and their parents with assurance that the institution would always guarantee their safety.

Earlier, the Deputy vice-Chancellor Academic and Research of the institution, Prof Clement Adebooye regretted the incident and explained that measures have been taken to forestall reoccurrence.

Prof Adebooye who had conducted the committee round the scene expressed gratitude to God that it was not beyond proportion as he lauded the University community for the prompt response and the Nurses in various hospitals as well as members of the public for showing solidarity with the school.

It would be recalled that students of Anatomy/Physiology Department were receiving lecture when a fire extinguisher inside the lecture room started to leak.

It was revealed that one of the students was said to have sat on the fire extinguisher and the safety valve accidentally released when he stood up causing the leakage.

However, the leaked poisonous gas inhaled by the students caused many of them to slump and become unconscious.

Related Posts

See All