The on-going case against the Oluwo of Iwo land, Oba Abdulrasheed Akanbi, filed by the Oluwo Oke of Iwo Oke, Oba Kadiri Adeoye, may be discontinued as the Oba Adeoya has decided to discontinue the case against his counterpart.
This decision, he said on Friday, is due to pleas from former President Olusegun Obasanjo, Governor Rauf Aregbesola and other prominent persons.
Oba Adeoye said this while speaking with journalists in court after the presiding magistrate, Mr. Olusola Aluko, transferred the case for reassignment.
Oluwo Oke said, “I had to withdraw the case because of people like Baba Olusegun Obasanjo, the governor (Aregbesola) and other eminent personalities who begged me to withdraw it.
“I did so in the interest of peace in the state. Although I am an Oba, there are people, who one should also respect.”
Although the Oba Adeoye’s counsel, Mr. Soji Oyetayo, had told the court that his client had filed a notice of withdrawal due to pleas from prominent personalities, the magistrate said he would not entertain it because he had already stepped down the case on December 30, 2016.
The Oluwo was not present in court, but he was represented by eight traditional rulers in his domain, including the Olowu of Kuta, Oba Adekunle Ahmed, who is the chairman of Iwo Traditional Council, who pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy regarding the bench warrant of arrest issued against Oluwo saying the media misquoted Oba Akanbi who would never disrespect the judiciary.