Seven students of the Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, Kwara State, and an attendant at a gas filling station on Saturday night were reportedly involved in a fire incident that occurred at a gas refilling shop near a student hostel late.
They however escaped death but sustained varying degrees of injury during the incident, according to the State Fire Service.
The fire incident occurred at Destiny Villa, Dola Abimbola Street, Elekoyangan area close to the main campus of the institution.
According to the Head of the Department, Media and Publicity of the state Fire Service, Hassan Adekunle, the fire started when a gas attendant at a nearby gas shop was refilling a gas cylinder positioned several meters above the ground level.
He noted that “The cylinder fell and exploded, concurrently releasing gas from the charged hose used for refilling. This exacerbated the fire, resulting in injuries to seven Kwara State Polytechnic students and the gas attendant.
“The firemen promptly departed from the station and upon arrival at the scene, they encountered a building with about 17 self-contained rooms fully ablaze. Four rooms were affected, and eight individuals sustained injuries”.
Kazeem Badmus is a graduate of Mass Communication with years of experience. A professional in journalism and media writing, Kazeem prioritses accuracy and factual reportage of issues. He is also a dexterous finder of the truth with conscious delivery of unbiased and development oriented stories.