The collection of toll at the Lekki-Ikoyi link bridge has been suspended. The suspended was announced by the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) in charge of management of the toll gate.
According to Mr. Yomi Omomuwasan, the managing director of LCC in a statement on Friday, the company said a new date would be announced soon.
Recall that the company suspended operations at the tollgate after the shooting incident during the #EndSARS protest in October 2020.
Toll collection was due to resume on April 17, following the reopening of the toll plaza on April 1, this is despite controversy over the resumption of tolling operations.
However, LCC said the decision to suspend tolling was taken to give residents more time to register for electronic toll devices.
The statement reads in part, “As a responsible organisation, we must take full cognizance of everyone within the axis. Therefore, we want to continue with the ongoing engagements with our stakeholders,” the LCC MD said.
“The preparatory operations to resume tolling on the Bridge have been smooth so far, and we are grateful to all the key stakeholders for their cooperation.
“The planned commencement of toll collection has now been postponed, allowing more of our customers to register for the electronic toll devices to enable seamless passages at the toll plaza.”