The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has suspended its planned nationwide protest over petrol subsidy removal.
The protests had been scheduled to hold on January 27 and February 2.
This was revealed by NLC president, Ayuba Wabba, who announced this to journalists on Tuesday in Abuja.
He said the union decided at its national executive council meeting on Tuesday morning.
The NLC president said the suspension was based on the federal government’s decision to halt subsidy removal on petroleum.
Earlier on Tuesday, the federal government proposed 18-month extension for the implementation of the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA).
This means that the government will continue to cater for petrol subsidy payments
Wabba said members of the NLC would be demobilised following the decision to suspend the protest.
“Following the reversal and reapproach by government, the National Executive Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress met this morning (Tuesday) virtually to consider the new position of the government,” he said.
”The NEC after vigorous debates took a decision to suspend the planned nationwide protest scheduled for January 27, 2022, and the national protest scheduled for February 2, 2022.”