One of the private students’ hostels of the Kwara State Polytechnic, located in the Yakuba area of the Ilorin metropolis has been gutted by fire.
It was gathered that the students’ hostel, identified as GQ Hostel, went up in flames on Wednesday as a result of an electrical power surge.
According to the state Fire Service, seven of the 11 self-contained residential apartments in the
hostel were burnt.
The head of the department of Media and Publicity of the Fire Service, Hassan Adekunle, said that the total estimated property saved in the inferno was N10.6million, adding that a total estimated property lost was N3.8million.
According to him, “Firemen were able to perform excellently well by immediately stopping the spread of the raging fire and subsequently eliminating it. The firemen’s technical approach saved the other apartments of the building from the scathed inferno.
“However, the Director, Kwara State Fire Service, Prince Falade John Olumuyiwa, expressed his sadness over the incident and, therefore, urged the general public to always play safe at their various domains.”