President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Mele Kyari to head the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
This is the second appointment the president will be making since his inauguration in May.
Kyari, who is the current group General manager, crude marketing division, will assume office as NNPC GMD on July 7.
He will replace Maikanti Baru, the current GMD who was appointed in July 2016.
Although he shares surname with Abba Kyari, he is not related to the president’s chief of staff.
The President also appointed seven (7) new Chief Operating Officers with effect from 7th July, 2019. They are:
1. Mr. Roland Onoriode Ewubare (South-South) – Chief Operating Officer, Upstream;
2. Engineer Mustapha Yinusa Yakubu (North-Central) – Chief Operating Officer, Refining and Petrochemicals;
3. Engineer Yusuf Usman (North-East) – Chief Operating Officer, Gas and Power;
4. Ms. Lawrencia Nwadiabuwa Ndupu (South-East) – Chief Operating Officer, Ventures;
5. Mr. Umar Isa Ajiya (North-West) – Chief Financial Officer;
6. Engineer Adeyemi Adetunji (South-West) – Chief Operating Officer, Downstream; and
7. Mr. Farouk Garba Said (North-West) – Chief Operating Officer, Corporate Services (with effect from 28th June, 2019);
The President directed that the new appointees work with the current occupants of the various positions between now and 7th July, 2019 towards a smooth transition on 8th July, 2019.
Source: The Cable