The United States has lifted its ban on refugees from 11 “high-risk” countries.
This ban was released on Monday, with the country stating that citizens seeking to enter the US would come under much tougher scrutiny than in the past.
“It’s critically important that we know who is entering the United States,” said Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen.
“These additional security measures will make it harder for bad actors to exploit our refugee program, and they will ensure we take a more risk-based approach to protecting the homeland.”
The 11 countries, hit with a ban in October in the Trump administration’s revised refugee policy, were not identified officially.
But those affected originally comprise Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Liabya, Mali, North Korea, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson had last year justified the ban.
“The President is carrying out his duty to protect the American people”, he said in a statement.
“The State Department will coordinate with other federal agencies to implement these measures in an orderly manner.
“We will continue to work closely with our allies and partners who share our commitment to national and global security.”