David Moyes Named New Manager Of West Ham

The former Everton and Manchester United boss replaces Slaven Bilic, who was sacked on Monday with the Hammers in the relegation zone.

Moyes has been out of work since May, when he resigned as Sunderland manager after the club’s relegation to the Championship.

West Ham joint chairman David Sullivan said the 54-year-old Scot is “the right man to turn things around”.

He added: “We need somebody with experience, knowledge of the Premier League and the players in it, and we believe David can get the best out of the players.

“He is highly regarded and respected within the game and will bring fresh ideas, organisation and enthusiasm.

“He proved with Everton that he has great qualities and we feel that West Ham United is a club that will give David the platform to display those qualities again.”

Moyes’ first game in charge will be at Watford in the Premier League on 19 November.

He added: “I’ve managed five clubs since starting out nearly 20 years ago at Preston and then going to Everton. My period at Manchester United is well documented and I then did something I have always wanted to do by experiencing management abroad, with Real Sociedad.

“It’s only been the last job where I feel it wasn’t a good move and I didn’t enjoy the experience. So I’m hungry to make sure I get things right now.

“I don’t know any manager who hasn’t gone through negative periods, especially in the game today. I hope it gives me great strength and understanding of what is required.”

Bilic Targeting One More Signing

West Ham United manager Slaven Bilic is keen to bring in one more player before the transfer window closes on August 31 but admits he may have to rush through another deal if he loses someone from his tight squad.

West Ham has strengthened with five new players including striker Javier Hernandez, defender Pablo Zabaleta and winger Marko Arnautovic but there has been speculation Argentine Manuel Lanzini was being lined up by Liverpool.

“We will see what happens in the last week of the transfer window if somebody is going to leave or come in,” Bilic told reporters ahead of Wednesday’s League Cup match against Cheltenham Town.

“I’m happy with the squad now. I would like to have one more and after that, if somebody leaves we have to fill that gap because we don’t have a big squad … We are happy but if somebody leaves we have to be ready to act.”

West Ham, who have lost their opening two league games of the new season, travel to Newcastle United when Premier League action resumes on Saturday.

 

Source: SuperSport

Newcastle, West Ham Raided In N1.96 Billion Tax Probe

Newcastle United and West Ham United’s grounds have been raised in a fraud investigation.

Newcastle’s managing director Lee Charnley was among “several men within professional football” who were arrested. He was released without charge at about 17:00 BST.

The HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) deployed 180 officers across the UK and France.

The suspected income tax and National Insurance fraud amounts to five million pounds (about N1.96 billion)

HMRC said it searched premises in the north-east and south-east of England and seized business records, financial records, computers and mobile phones.

West Ham’s London Olympic Stadium and Newcastle’s St James’ Park were among the locations raided.

HMRC officers also visited offices belonging to Chelsea FC “in connection with its wider investigation”, a club spokesman confirmed.

But is understood the club’s premises were not raided and no arrests were made.

“HMRC has requested certain information which the club will provide,” the spokesman said.

The Magpies’ managing director Mr Charnley, 39, was earlier taken away from St James’ Park by officers.

He became the club’s managing director three years ago and has reportedly been credited with persuading manager Rafa Benitez to stay at the club.

Newcastle United confirmed “a member of its staff has been assisting HMRC with their inquiries” but said it would be making “no further comment at this time”.

“In a statement, West Ham United said it was “co-operating fully with HMRC to assist their inquiries” but there had been no arrests.

HMRC said it had arrested “several men working within the professional football industry for a suspected income tax and national insurance fraud”.

“180 HMRC officers have been deployed across the UK and France today,” the statement added.

“Investigators have searched a number of premises in the north east and south east of England and arrested the men and also seized business records, financial records, computers and mobile phones.

“The French authorities are assisting the UK investigation, have made arrests and several locations have been searched in France.

“As this is an ongoing investigation, HMRC is unable to provide any further detail at this time.”

Newcastle was promoted to the Premier League on Monday, just 348 days after relegation.

According to its 2015-16 accounts, the club had a turnover of 126 million pounds and paid out 75 million pounds in players’ wages and recorded pre-tax loss of 4.1 million pounds.

HMRC raided West Ham’s offices at the London Olympic Stadium where the club moved in August, having played at Upton Park since 1904.

Companies House figures for the 2015-16 show it turned over 142 million pounds paid out 85 million pounds in player’s wages and made a pre-tax loss of 4.8 million pounds.

In January, a Parliamentary Committee revealed 43 players, 12 clubs and eight agents were the subject of “open inquiries” by HMRC.

The Public Accounts Committee highlighted particular concerns about tax evasion in the football industry and the “misuse” of image rights to reduce tax liabilities.