FG To Alison-Madueke: Face Your Corruption Trial In UK

Nigerian Government on Wednesday replied the embattled former minister of Petroleum, Diezani Allison-Madueke seeking extradition from UK, to face her corruption trial in the United Kingdom.

It will be recalled that Diezani had urged the Federal High Court in Lagos to compel the Attorney General of the Federation to bring her back to Nigeria from the United Kingdom where she travelled to shortly after leaving office in 2015.

She said she would like to appear in court in Nigeria to defend a criminal charge bordering on alleged laundering of N450 million in which her name had been mentioned.

Speaking to State House correspondents after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting yesterday, Minister of Justice and Attorney – General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami said there was no need to repatriate Diezani now since the UK government is already investigating her on issues bordering on corruption.

He hinged his argument on the premise that there is an existing understanding between Nigeria and other countries, especially the United Kingdom, on the recovery of stolen funds.

He said Diezani is already facing charges of money laundering and acquisition of properties in the United Kingdom and so it is important to face the charges there than for her to come as a mere witness in a case in Nigeria.

The AGF said, “The truth of the matter is that the government is doing something, especially on issues of corruption and litigation in Nigeria and outside the country.

“Considering the fact that there is an existing understanding between Nigeria and other countries, especially United Kingdom, on the recovery of stolen funds, you cannot say government is not doing anything.

“The truth of the matter is that steps have been taken by the United Kingdom authorities on issues bothering on corrupt practices involving Nigerians. If Nigeria feels strongly that there is need to bring Mrs Diezani Allison-Madueke here to face charges of corruption, government will not hesitate to do that.

“As things are now, there is no need for that since the U.K. government is already investigating her and government will not take any decision that will jeopardize what the U.K. government is doing”.

 

REVEALED: UK Doctors Yet To Diagnose Buhari’s Ailment

Despite several months of medication and intensive care in the United Kingdom (UK), President Muhammadu Buhari’s doctors are yet to diagnose what the president’s illness is all about.

According to credible source in the presidency that despite series of tests and treatments from renowned medical practitioners both within and outside the UK, nobody has been able to pinpoint what ails the president except that he has completely lost his appetite for food.

The failure of the presidency to tell Nigerians the actual state of health of the president has fueled speculations in the country with many alleging that the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) is guilty of what it accused the then ruling party, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) when the late President Umaru Yar’Adua held sway.

But according to our source, “Those accusing the presidency of being economical with the truth on the actual state of health of the president are missing the point because you can only disclose what you know.

“As at today, nobody knows the kind of ailment battling Mr President. Even his doctors in the UK don’t know what is wrong with him. Lots of tests have been done; in fact, they have done everything humanly possible but they still can’t detect what is wrong with him. That is why the doctors have decided to place him under long observation to see if they can diagnose what is wrong with him on the long run.

“For those of us who are close to President Buhari, he can’t stay for a long time without food. He doesn’t have the endurance for long fasting and that is why those referring to him as a religious fanatic are wrong. Here is a man who doesn’t joke with his food but suddenly once he takes a spoon, he throws up. And you know if you don’t eat for a long time, you become weak and emaciated.

“When the condition became critical, they have to devise other means of feeding him, but we’re happy at the level of significant progress he has made in the last couple of weeks”, he said.

He also debunked the claim by some online news media that the president is being treated for acute prostate cancer or battling with Crohn’s disease, a medical condition that could have affected his digestive system.

“From the information we have, every organ of the president is working perfectly. The only problem is his inability to eat well due to loss of appetite. That is why some people are alleging that the president may have been poisoned or under some kind of spiritual attack”, he noted.

Although President Muhammadu Buhari’s first active year in office which was from May 29, 2015, to 2016 was frost with some minor challenges, especially delays associated with appointing his cabinet members, the frustrations and criticism that greeted it left much to be desired.

No sooner had he sorted out some of these issues to settle down to the business of governance came his health challenges.

The first time he took a vacation to undergo medical check-up in London, the United Kingdom was in February 2016.He left the shores of Nigeria for the United Kingdom for a six-day vacation from

February 5 to February 10, 2016. After a formal letter was written to the National Assembly leadership he transferred powers to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.

Buhari’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, had explained that the letter to the National Assembly was in compliance with Section 145 (1) of the Nigerian Constitution.

The spokesperson had assured Nigerians of the well-being of the president and the need not to panic over the state of his health.

He had hinged the vacation on the need for the president to take a break from work as he had worked non-stop for eight months and could break down like every other person.

On January 19, 2017, shortly after resolving the leadership crisis in The Gambia, where Yahaya Jammeh was recalcitrant to hand over power to his successor, President Buhari fell ill again and had to leave the country on another vacation.

As usual, he wrote Senate President Bukola Saraki and Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, before bidding Nigeria goodbye to examine his health on January 23, 2017, to be precise.

Nigerians were sympathetic and in fact showed understanding that the president needs to take care of his health issues so that he could function maximally as the nation’s leader.

However, when the 10-day medical leave began to extend to several weeks, rumours began to fly over the actual date of his return, deepening suspicions that his health was far worse than officials were publicly admitting.

Source: Independent Newspaper

Aisha Buhari Travels Back To London

The wife of the president, Aisha Muhammadu Buhari, has gone back to the United Kingdom where her husband is on medical vacation.
A source from presidency revealed that Mrs Buhari left for the UK on Sunday.
Mrs Buhari had last Thursday returned from London and proceeded to Owerri, the capital of Imo State, where she attended the 2017 August meeting hosted by women in the state.
The source hinted that there is a possibility that she will return to Nigeria with her husband at a time yet to be officially confirmed.
President Buhari departed for the United Kingdom on May 7 for follow-up consultations with his doctors.
He had assured that he was making progress and would return to Nigeria to resume his duties as soon as his doctors advise.

UK Approves N14bn To Assist Nigeria In War Against Insurgency

The UK says it has approved 40 million pounds (about N14 billion) to assist Nigeria in the fight against insurgency.

Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond, disclosed this on Saturday in Abuja on arrival for the one day Regional Security Summit.

A statement issued by the British High Commission, quoted Hammond as reiterating the UK’s continued support to Nigeria in the fight against Boko Haram.

“The UK continues to support Nigeria in tackling Boko Haram with nearly £40m of counter-terrorist and counter-extremism support over the next four years.

“The support includes the training of almost 1,000 Nigerian military personnel for deployment to the North East of Nigeria on counter-insurgency operations,” Hammond said.

He commended President Muhammadu Buhari for the efforts his administration had made in degrading the Boko Haram insurgency.

“President Buhari has shown strong leadership in the fight against Boko Haram.

“Boko Haram is a brutal organisation that has raped, murdered and kidnapped innocent civilians and forced over two million people to flee their homes.

“Their allegiance to, and potential coordination with Daesh is a reminder of the threat they present to the region and to British interests,” he said.

According to him, Britain and Nigeria, with support from the U.S., France, and its neighbours, are making progress in degrading Boko Haram.

The Second Regional Security Summit brings together leaders from across the world to address the international community’s intent to support Nigeria in its fight against Boko Haram.

The First Regional Security Summit was held in France.