New Attacks Carried Out On Nigerians In South Africa

The Nigerian Community in South Africa, through its chairman in the north west province, Mr Paul Nwanedo has disclosed that four members are in critical condition in the hospital while some shops have been burnt in renewed attacks by South Africans.

According to him, the attacks began on Sunday, due to a taxi driver in Rustenburg alleging that a Nigerian abducted and raped a 16-year-old South African girl and also alleged that Nigerians sold drugs to a local gang that attacked their members.

“ This is absolutely untrue. We have investigated and found out that the allegations are false. The union is worried about the safety of our members in Rustenburg,” he said.

Nwanedo said that four Nigerians caught by the taxi drivers were beaten and are in critical condition in the hospital while some shops belonging to Nigerians had been torched.

“ As I speak to you, we are afraid because the attacks have continued and our members are still in hiding.

“We have reported to the police and our national secretariat. We want the safety of lives and property of our people,” he said.

Mr Adetola Olubajo, President of the union, said that the national secretariat had been informed about the incident at Rustenburg.

“ Investigation by the union shows that no Nigerians abducted or raped a South African girl. Indeed, no Nigerian has been arrested for the offence and we are worried about the turn of events.

“ The lives and property of our citizens in Rustenburg are in danger and there is an urgent need for intervention. We appeal to our mission and Federal government to intervene urgently and save the situation,” Olubajo said.

Spokesman of the police in Rustenburg, Brig-Gen. Sabata Mokgwabone said  the reasons for the violent protest was unclear but confirmed that “ the burnt houses are those occupied by foreign nationals,”

 

61 Dead From Listeriosis In South Africa

At least 61 people have died from an outbreak of listeriosis that has lasted for a year. Listeriosis is caused by food-borne bacteria in South Africa as revealed by the country’s health minister Monday.

The disease, Listeriosis is caused by Listeria monocytogenes, a naturally-occurring germ typically transferred through contaminated food, although it is readily treatable with antibiotics. A total of 727 cases have been confirmed since January 2017, Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi said in a statement.

As of December 5, the confirmed death toll stood at 36, but has since risen to 61 because of the disease’s “rapid spread and unusual or unexpected behaviour”, it has been elevated to the country’s list of intensively monitored, serious conditions, Motsoaledi added.

A poultry abattoir in the capital Pretoria was identified by health officials as suffering from listeriosis contamination but it was unclear whether the facility was the source of the outbreak, the statement said.

Listeria bacteria can be found in soil, water, vegetation and the faeces of some animals.  Contamination in humans can result in flu-like illness, infection of the bloodstream and, in severe cases, infection of the brain which can prove fatal. People with compromised immune systems, like some of those living with AIDS and pregnant women, are at a heightened risk, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

 

Henry Okah Challenges Conviction In South Africa

The self-acclaimed leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), Henry Okah, Tuesday challenged his trial and conviction at the South African Constitutional Court, in a last-ditch attempt to walk away as a free man.

Mr Okah was sentenced to 24 years’ imprisonment in 2013 after being convicted on 13 counts of terrorism, including engaging in terrorist activities, conspiracy to engage in terrorist activities, and delivering, placing, and detonating an explosive device in 2010.

On appeal, the sentence was reduced to 20-years in 2016.

Today’s challenge at the Apex Court is claiming that his trial was not fair based on the dictates of the South African Criminal Procedures Act.

He is also questioning the constitutionality of the Anti-terrorism Act under which he was tried and convicted with regard to matters of jurisdiction.

Oba Ewuare II Appeals To SA Government

The Oba of Benin made the call on Saturday at a reception and Cultural display held in his honour by Edo indigenes resident in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

“We appeal to South African Government to do its best to stamp out hostility toward Nigerians as the country played a great role in the fight against apartheid, so that Nigerians can live in peace in their country.

The Oba whose subjects are flooding South African countries and Europe, expressed sadness that Nigerians were constantly being treated with hostility and aggression in South Africa in spite of the assistance rendered to free the country from apartheid.

“Nigerians should be allowed to reap what they sowed in other African countries.’’ He said that Nigeria contributed a lot in the struggle to free South Africa from Apartheid.

he also admonished the residents of Edo tribe in Abuja. “I want you to please uphold your culture very high, hold our value system seriously and do not let anybody destroy it because that is the identity we have.

“Anywhere you go, their culture is very important to them, so let us not import other people’s culture from foreign land to supersede our own. That is why I try to encourage the use of indigenous language in the home.

“That is why I also want to encourage the re-introduction of Edo language in schools and it is worrisome that history is not taught in our schools.’’

He urged Edo indigenes in Abuja to do their best to uphold the unity of the country.

The Edo monarch thanked President Muhammadu Buhari for receiving him at the Vila and also for the support he accorded him during and after his coronation.

The Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki said that the position of the Omo N’ Oba N’ Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Oba Ewuare II was sacrosanct.

South African Policemen Beat Nigerian To Death

A Nigerian man only identified as Obosi, was allegedly beaten to death by metro police bee Mandela in Johannesburg South Africa. According to a Facebook user, Star Boy Nino Brown who shared the photos and videos online, the deceased was covered with plastic over his face and after much beating, he passed out and died.

The Facebook user, however, did not state when the incident happened. Nigerian men in the area came out to protest his killing.

South Africa: Sasfin to Review Its Future Engagement With KPMG

Sasfin will be changing its Independent Sponsor from KPMG Services (Pty) Ltd to Deloitte & Touche Sponsor Services (Pty) Ltd, effective as of Tuesday, 19 September 2017. This decision was made to ensure a separation of the role of an external joint auditor to the Sasfin Holdings Limited Group with that of Independent Sponsor.

KPMG Inc. and Grant Thornton Johannesburg Partnership have been joint auditors of Sasfin Holdings Limited Group for 18 and 30 years respectively.

 In view of the well-publicised concerns recently raised with regard to KPMG as well as Sasfin’s commitment to good governance in respect of auditor independence and auditor tenure, Sasfin has decided to put its audit out to tender.

This process is expected to begin in November 2017

Source: All Africa

Dangote Bids For South African Cement Company

Dangote Cement has approached South African cement producer, (PPC), for a takeover bid, but talks are at preliminary stages, Media reported on Thursday.

PPC is already considering a bid by local rival, AfriSam, which launched a new all-share bid that values PPC at about 9.2 billion rand

Dangote Cement bid for PPC is a way to increase its visibility in the South Africa and surrounding SADC market.

PPC offers the prospect of a much larger business than DangCems current operation in South Africa through Sephaku Cement.

Annual Financial Statement for the Full Year Ended March 31, 2017, shows that Sephaku Cement had revenues of R2.28 billion (178 million dollars) in 2016 (see Fig 1).

This compares to PPC which had revenues of R9.6 billion ($748 million) in 2016, about four times that of Sephaku.

Obviously, Dangote Cement would love to own the bigger company and has signalled it would be open to a sale of all or part of its cement operations in Sephaku Cement to win regulatory approval for a takeover.

 

South African Cannibal Dies Of Gunshot Injury

Aphiwe Mapekula the 23-year-old man accused of abducting, murdering and then eating his victim in KwaBhaca died on Tuesday morning. According to reports he died at the Nelson Mandela Central Hospital‚ where he was admitted after he was shot by police who were trying to apprehend him.

Health department provincial spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo confirmed the death.

“He was admitted to the Nelson Mandela Central Hospital after being transferred from Madzikane KaZulu Hospital with gunshot wounds, and needed emergency surgery. He, unfortunately, died in the early hours of [Tuesday] morning at about 4.35am‚” said Kupelo.

Mapekula was alleged to have abducted a 35-year-old woman identified as Thembisa Masumpa‚ from the centre of town, he then took her to his home, before killing her and eating her flesh.

According to reports, the Police were called to a crime scene on Saturday‚ where the 35-year-old  woman had been beheaded.

Police said the suspect Mapekula was busy feeding on the dead body. He allegedly ignored several warning shots to deter him and even when he was shot and wounded in the arm‚ leg and abdomen‚ he continued eating the woman’s flesh

Union To Engage FG, S/Africa On Killing Of Nigerians

Mr Adetola Olubajo, new President of Nigeria Union, South Africa, says the body will engage the Federal Government and its South African counterpart on the safety of Nigerians in that country.

He told the News reporters in Pretoria, South Africa on Tuesday that the union was worried about the incessant killing of Nigerians in that country.

“The killing of Nigerians in South Africa is worrisome and unacceptable because the statistics increase daily.

“We have decided to engage the Federal government and its South African counterpart to work with them and ensure the safety of our people.

“The union will put pressure where necessary because our people are not happy with the situation,” he said.

Olubajo, the immediate past Secretary General of the union, said Nigerians had been encouraged to work with community-based organizations to fight crime in their areas.

“The union has adopted some safety measures aimed at sensitizing our people on dangers of crime.

“We have decided to engage various Nigerian organizations on the need to speak with one voice on issues that affect them.

“It is time for us to unite for a common purpose of having a safe environment for Nigerians in South Africa,” the President said.

He also said that the union would inaugurate a legal department to give legal advice and ensure justice in all cases involving Nigerians.

“The department will be headed by a Nigerian practicing attorney in South Africa and he has already started work,” he said.

Olubajo said the union would engage the Nigerian mission to change their approach to the
handling of cases of Nigerians killed in South Africa because their tactics had not yielded results.

Condoms Filled With Gold Discovered In South Africa

Illegal miners in South Africa are hiding unrefined gold and platinum in condoms as a new tactic to avoid arrest for smuggling that is costing the industry 1.5 billion dollars a year, the police told parliament on Friday.

Illegal mining has plagued South Africa’s mining sector for decades, and extends from small time pilfering to global organized crime networks.

The crime costs the industry and government an estimated 20 billion rand (1.5 billion dollars) a year in lost sales, taxes and royalties, the Chamber of Mines, an industry body, says.

“They are ingesting the amalgam concealed in condoms and this is done for two principle reasons.

“One is to be able to bypass mine security and the other is also to prevent being robbed by opposing groups,” Brig. Ebrahim Kadwa, a commander in South Africa’s Hawks organised crime unit, said, showing parliament slides of gold-filled condoms in miners’ x-rays.

Potentially toxic clumps of mercury and gold concentrate can be refined to extract gold once passed through the body.

Illegal mining in South Africa involves a complex criminal web that extends from desperate unemployed workers, many from neighboring countries, to gun-toting gang bosses and front companies exporting refined products to global markets.

“The threat posed by illicit mining and related crimes continues to proliferate across the country,” Kadwa said, adding that the majority of incidents were in gold mines owned by Harmony Gold and Sibanye.

However, hundreds of incidents occurred throughout the country and targeted other minerals such as diamonds and chrome.

High rates of unemployment and a stagnant economy helped entice illegal miners to the dangerous work, which is also being driven by rising commodity prices.

Kadwa said a weakening of the rand currency between December 2015 to April 2016, saw the relative gold price rise, encouraging illegal smuggling.

In February, 22 illegal miners were given lengthy sentences after being found guilty of 577 charges, ranging from theft of gold to racketeering and money laundering.

“This is a landmark moment in the fight against illegal mining in the country,” Kadwa said.

Source: PM News

Mugabe’s Wife Arrested In South Africa

52 year old Zimbabwe’s first lady, Grace Mugabe, has handed herself to the South African Police. THis was after she had assaulted a woman in Johannesburg’s up market Sandton district over the weekend.

South African police minister Fikile Mbalula earlier told reporters that he expected to get a report from investigators on Tuesday the First Lady could be arrested.

A Zimbabwean intelligence source said Grace was traveling on a normal passport. “She was here on business,” the source told Reuters.