Exclusive: Family Of Osogbo Gas Explosion Victim Threaten Legal Action Against Grace Gas Management For Misleading Comment Over Incident

By Sodiq Yusuf

The family of the Late Olori Omobolawa Akinyemi who passed on as an aftermath of an explosion which happened few weeks ago at Grace Cooking Gas Station in Osogbo, capital of the State of Osun has demanded that the management of the station retract a statement credited to its manager, Mr Soji Babayemi that the fire incident that occurred was triggered by the phone calls made by the deceased during her visit to the station.

It said the position of the station that the fire incident that resulted in her death was as a result to adhere to safety precautions by making calls within the vicinity of the gas station is untrue.

In a letter dated 21st December, 2017 addressed to the company by Ajibola Basiru and CO., the family’s legal representatives signed by Abimbola Amusan Esq and sighted exclusively by OsunDefender, it said the Late Olori Omobolawa Akinyemi did not make or receive any call within the premises of the gas station which the Nigeria Police is currently investigating.

The family however wondered why the station through its manager, Mr Soji Babayemi in an interview granted the Tribune Newspapers of 16th December, 2017 that the fire incident that occurred which took Omobolawa and another person’s life was as a result of the phone call which the deceased made when the report of the police investigation is yet to be released.

It held that the statement of the Gas Station is inclined to further embarrass the family with undermining the credibility of the police report.

It however demanded that the owners of Grace Cooking Gas Station retract the offensive interview with an apology within seven (7) days of the receipt of the letter which must be done in at least two (2) widely circulated National Newspapers as failure to do so will attract the alternative to seek legal action on the issue.

Exclusive: Osogbo Gas Explosion Not Caused By Mobile Phones – Investigation

  • As Osun Takes Over Treatment of Victims


As widely reported, the cause of the explosion at the Grace Cooking Gas Factory in Osogbo on Sunday evening was not caused by Mobile phones.

Impeccable information available to OSUN DEFENDER has it that the unfortunate incident was an explosion that was bound to happen.


This is because the mobile phones belonging to the three victims that sustained varying degrees of injuries are still intact without blemishes.


The State Government of Osun has however taken over the medical bills of the victims.

The State Commissioner for Health, Dr Rafiu Isamotu has also visited the Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital, Ile Ife where they are currently receiving treatment.