Tim Elombah Thanks Nigerians After Release From Police Detention

The management and staff of Elombah.com, on Thursday thanked friends and family, the Online Publishers Association of Nigeria (OPAN), Lawyers, Journalists, local and international Non governmental organisations, NGOs , National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) , the British government, and numerous individuals for their steadfastness and unwavering support during the unlawful detention of Tim Elombah, the editor of Elombah. Com.

Tim and his brothers were arrested in the wee hours of January 1, 2018 by men and officers of the Special Anti-robbery Squad, SARS, and the Special Tactical Squad, STS, of the Nigeria police.

The Publishers of the online newspaper in a statement issued after the release of Tim Elombah via an order of an FCT Abuja high court said, although the Police is yet to state under what charges the Elombah brothers were detained, they trust the judiciary will address whatever injustice suffered by the innocent citizens.

“We also hope that the publisher, Daniel Elombah will be able to travel back to his base in the United Kingdom immediately to rejoin his family”, the management stated.

“Freedom of speech and expression is an inalienable right of every person and Nigerians should stand firm against any flagrant abuse of these fundamental rights without excuses”, the statement concluded.

Benue Killing: Police Reveals They Wouldn’t Go After Killers

The Benue police command through its commissioner Bashir Makama have disclosed that they will not be going after the killers responsible for the attacks of some villages in the state.

According to Premium Times, Makama said through a phone call that the force is holding back on their chase of suspected killer herdsmen on rampage across the North-Central state, saying they would prioritise an immediate succour and enduring tranquility for the affected communities instead.

The police are concentrating their energy and resources towards a safe return of recently displaced residents to their communities.

“Let there be peace. Let there be calm. Then, the suspects can be followed and arrested.

But anti-open grazing campaigners faulted the police tactics, warning that the comments could fuel speculation that the federal government was colluding with the herdsmen.

An estimated 69 people have been killed in suspected herdsmen attacks on villages in the agrarian Benue State between December 31 and January 8, according to Benue State Government officials.

Fifty-nine of the deceased are slated for a mass burial in a village near the Air Force Base in Makurdi, the state capital on Thursday morning.

The figures include the three officers killed following an ambush on a police patrol team on Monday in Logo Local Government Area, about 200 kilometres east of Makurdi.

The local government was amongst the two local government areas razed down by suspected herdsmen between the New Year eve and New Year day.

An exasperated Governor Samuel Ortom blamed the attacks on herdsmen of Fulani extraction. Mr. Ortom said the leaders of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, an association of cattle breeders, had earlier threatened to attack residents in Benue State, He described them as a “threat to our collective interest” and said “they must be dealt with.”

 

Police Accuses Shiite Protesters Of Possession Of Explosives

The FCT Police Command on Wednesday in a statement through its spokesman, DSP Anjuguri Manzah said  52 members of the the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) group in Abuja have been arrested for disruption of law and order in the Country’s capital.

The group members who went on rampage and attacked innocent citizens including Police operatives were arrested. The police force also revealed that some bottles of improvised petrol-bomb, stones and catapult used by members of the sect to attack police operatives and damage police operational vehicles were recovered.

“It is pertinent to state that the unlawful action of members of the sect which started on Monday 8th January, 2018 is constituting a serious security threat to the peace of the Federal Capital Territory and at the same time disrupting innocent citizens from going about their lawful businesses”, he said.

However the force did not speak on the allegation that they had shot about two members of the Islamic group.

 

 

SARS Will Be Reformed Not Scrapped – Nigeria Police Insists

The Public Relations Officer of the Nigeria Police Force, Jimoh Moshood has stated that the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, will not scrapped but reformed despite nationwide protest.

Moshood disclosed this at a youth-police forum on Police Accountability in Lagos by Korede Bello Initiative.

CSP Moshood urged Nigerians to be patient as the police force was investigating complaints and feel their pains.

“We have families and we feel your pain; SARS reform is the way to go and not to end SARS.

“SARS has been doing very well in ensuring that robbery is reduced to the barest minimum in the country. However, concerns and allegations against them as regard the violation of human rights are being investigated on the directive of the Inspector General of Police.

“The reform that he has put in place is to ensure that SARS is streamlined just as the Mobile Police Force under a unified commander at the Force headquarters, who is a commissioner of police”, he said.

Dolapo Badmos, the Zonal police public relations officer for Lagos and Ogun state also present at the event commended the Korede Bello Initiative for the forum, reassuring Nigerians that the reform of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad was currently going on.

”If you have any complaint about any police or SARS officer, report and it will be dealt with appropriately by the Police”, Badmos said.

Nigerian celebrities Ruggedman, Dr Sid, Simi, Sound Sultan, Korede Bello and ace broadcaster, Sulaiman Aledeh were at the forum.

Lagos Gets New CP As Owoseni Bows Out

The Lagos State Police Command has finally announced a change of guard as Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, handed over to a new Commissioner of Police, Edgal Imohimi.

Controversies had on Wednesday trailed the appointment of Imohimi as Owoseni’s successor, as the former CP had maintained that he was still in charge of the command.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole, in a statement on Thursday, however, said Owoseni at no point refused an order of the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, to vacate office for his successor.

He said, “CP Fatai Owoseni wished the officers and men of the command all the best under the leadership of the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, Ag/COMPOL Edgal Imohimi, at the officers’ mess during a conference of senior officers, Area Commanders, Divisional Police Officers and Head of Departments.”

The PPRO said Owoseni advised policemen in the state to work with the new CP to make Lagos peaceful and crime free.

Famous-Cole said Imohimi later had a quick security brief with the officers for the Eid-el-Kabir holidays and urged them to make the break hitch free.

Our Anxieties, Trauma Over- Parents of Rescued Lagos Schoolboys

Parents of the six kidnapped students of the Lagos State Model College, Igbonla, Epe, were hugely relieved Friday reuniting with them, after more than two months of anxiety.

The reunion came exactly 65 days after the students were captured from their school by armed abductors, 20 of whom were killed in a gun duel with the police on Friday, in the creeks of Ondo State.

The freed boys are Peter Jonah, Isiaka Rahmon, Adebayo George, Judah Agbausi, Pelumi Philips and Farouq Yusuf.

Mr Moruf Ramon, whose 19-year-old son, Isiaka, was among the rescued students commended the Lagos State Government and the Nigerian Police for their efforts.

“’I am so happy with what is happening today and I want to appreciate the Lagos State Government and the Commissioner of Police for all they have done to secure the release of our children.

“’I have been the one talking with the kidnappers all the time and the police were always with us to get information that could help to facilitate the rescue operations.

“We pray that this kind of incident will not occur again in Lagos State or even Nigeria as a whole,’’ he said.

Mrs Beatrice Jonah, said it had been a traumatic experience for her family.

According to her, the experience is very difficult to describe as it is better imagined than experienced.

“When I spoke to my son after the abduction, I was weeping because I was afraid for his life.

“To me it has been 65 days of trauma but we thank God he is back safely,’’ she said.

The Lagos State Deputy Governor, Dr Idiat Adebule, who received the students on behalf of Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode, commended the efforts of the security agencies and the intervention of the Federal Government.

“We commend the efforts of the Nigerian Police, particularly, the Lagos Command and other security agencies for their efforts in ensuring the safe return of these children.

“We commend the Ondo State Governor and his deputy for their support and collaboration toward the rescue operation.

“We appreciate the Acting President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, for his invaluable intervention in ensuring that we have these children brought back to us,’’ she said.

Adebule said that debriefing and comprehensive medical checks would be carried out on the students to help them get over the experience.

“’Now that the children are back, the government will commence a comprehensive checkup on these children — physically, mentally and psychologically. This is very necessary.

“And in debriefing them, we will be involving other stakeholders, including their parents to ensure that it is effective.

“’We appreciate that 64 days was a long time to get these children back but it was in the interest of their safety,’’ she said.

“’As a government, we will continue to work diligently to ensure the security of lives and property in the state. It is a must for us to deliver on the issue of security.

“As for security in our schools, we are working and putting all necessary measures in place before the resumption of schools for the next session,’’ she said.

Adebule also commended the parents and families of the students for their confidence in the state government.

Gov. Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo, who accompanied the students to Lagos with his Deputy, Mr Alfred Agboola, said the Igbonla Kidnap was a major issue at the National Executive Council meeting in Abuja in June.

Akeredolu said it was also an issue at the South-West Governors’ meeting in Abeokuta, Ogun, where Ambode said there was the need for an increased joint security patrol of the riverine areas.

“’We must appreciate the role of the Acting President in this matter because he was the first person that contacted us in Ondo last month. Gov. Ambode was also in touch all the time.

“We promised them that we will make efforts, but then we did not believe that these children could be in the creeks of Ondo.

“’My Deputy, however, waded into the matter because he is from the creeks.

“In collaboration with the Delta Government, the Navy, Army and Marine Police, we did all that was humanly possible to secure the release of the students,’’ he said.

Akeredolu pledged to ensure increased security in his state in collaboration with others that shared borders with Ondo.

“Ondo State has Zero tolerance for crime. You cannot use our creeks as safe haven for crimes anymore,’’ he warned.

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr Fatai Owoseni, commended the South-West government for their joint efforts and support in ensuring the rescue of the students.

“’This is one operation that will send fear to criminals as they will know that our governments in the South-West are committed to security and there will be no place for criminals in the region.

“’During the course of the operation, 20 of the kidnappers, including the leader of that kidnap, Bright Adeniyi, were killed when they ambushed the operatives of the marine police and civilian volunteers.

“We lost a civilian volunteer, while four were wounded. Eight policemen were also injured and all these people are receiving medical treatment under the care of the state government.

“So far, we have arrested one suspect who has been swindling the parents of the children.

He was arrested in Abeokuta when he asked the parents to drop some money. I’m sure others will be arrested soon and they will face the full wrath of the law,’’ he said.

Owoseni promised that the police would not relent in its efforts to secure and protect the lives of citizens.

NAN

Nigeria Seizes Foreign Vessel for Alleged Theft of Shell Crude

Nigeria detained a vessel with crew members from countries including Pakistan, Indonesia and Ukraine for alleged theft of crude from a facility owned by Royal Dutch Shell Plc, the navy said.

The tanker, MT TECNE, was apprehended before dawn on April 25 while loading crude from the Afremo platform operated by Shell’s Nigerian unit, Ibrahim Dewu, a navy spokesman, said Wednesday by phone from the southern city of Warri. “They had siphoned about 2,000 metric tons of crude oil from the loading jacket before their arrest,” he said.

A Nigerian, three Ghanaians and a Benin national were among the crew arrested, he said.

Organized criminal gangs have for years stolen crude from pipelines and facilities in the Niger River delta, home to the country’s oil industry, either for sale to vessels waiting offshore or for local refining. Nigeria’s Petroleum Ministry estimates that sometimes as much as 10 percent of its output is lost to theft.

Bloomberg

Father Kills 11-Year-Old Twins Over Witchcraft

The Cross River Police Command has arrested a 33-year-old man for killing his twin children for allegedly being witches.

Presenting the suspects to newsmen in Calabar on Tuesday, the Acting Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Hafiz Inuwa, alleged that Anyanime Festus killed his 11-year-old twins, Emediong and Mfoniso, for confessing to being witches.

Inuwa said that the incident happened on Jan. 11, 2017 in Uyanga community in Akamkpa Local Government Area of the state.

He said that the matter was reported to the police by one David Innocent and Joseph Orok from the same area.

He said, “The incident happened on Jan. 11, 2017 in Uyanga community in Akamkpa Local Government Area following a report to the police by one David Innocent and Joseph Orok.

“They reported that the two female identical twins were found lying along Uyanga bush track in Akamkpa.

“According to them, one of the twins was found dead while the other was lying down and was unable to speak.

“Much later, the other twin that was lying down was able to speak and she gave her name as Emediong Festus and that of her twin sister as Mfoniso Festus, both 11 years.

“She said that on January 10, 2017, their father told them he was taking them to their mother, and on getting to a bush track, he gave them malt drink suspected to be mixed with poisonous substances.

“Shortly after they drank the malt, her sister died and their father abandoned them there.”

The commissioner further said that the other twin later died in the hospital, adding that both corpses were now deposited at the General Hospital, Akamkpa, for autopsy.

The suspect, who is a taxi driver, said that since the incident happened, he had “not been himself”.

Festus, who said he regretted his action, blamed the incident on the devil.

He said, “I poisoned them through the malt I gave them to drink. I did it because they confessed to being witches.”

Credit: Punch

Victim Help Aba Police Arrest Armed Robbers

Operatives of the Nigeria Police Force, Osisioma Ngwa Division Aba, have arrested a suspected robber, Onuoha Agbai, for allegedly conspiring with others now at large to rob Uche Kalu and Uzoechie Nweke.

After robbing the victims, Agbai and his gang shot each of them on the leg without knowing that the victims recognised him and later reported to the Police.

It was gathered that the suspect who lives at Onyembi Street, Aba, is a notorious criminal who had been on the wanted list of the State Police Command.