NFF Wanted Oliseh Out, Offered Job To Renard, Babangida Reveals

Tijjani Babangida, former Super Eagles star and special adviser to ex-Super Eagles chief coach, Sunday Oliseh, has opened up with more information on why Sunday Oliseh resigned his appointment, saying the coach was “reliably informed” that his job had already been offered to Herve Renard, who won the Africa Cup of Nations with Zambia in 2012 and Cote d’Ivoire in 2015.

According to Babangida, Oliseh’s resignation was not a surprise at all, as the coach was surprised to see that the NFF promised to pay renard $100,00 a month when his own salary of N5million a month could not even be paid. “We saw this coming. Nothing is hidden. Oliseh was reliably informed that NFF went to talk to Herve Renard to take over the job as Super Eagles coach. This is one of the things that violated the contract he signed when he became coach,” Babangida said.

“He believes his employers are not supporting him to succeed; rather, they are planning for him to fail. Especially, with the crucial game coming up in a month’s time against Egypt for the AFCON qualifier. He feels if he is the problem, why will he be a stumbling block? Hence, his resignation.

“He resigned so that NFF can do what they want to do. With match bonuses owed, salaries not paid, camping allowances too. The house NFF promised him has not even been secured for him. So, where will he stay when he comes to Abuja? Hotel? ” So, many violations of his contract. No one can work like that. NFF cannot pay Oliseh N5million but they went promising Renard $100,000. This is sad. Why won’t he resign?”

Breaking News: Super Eagles Coach Sunday Oliseh Resigns

Head Coach of the Nigerian football national team, the Super Eagles, Mr. Sunday Oliseh has announced his resignation from the team.

Sunday Oliseh who announced his resignation via his official twitter handle just over seven months after he was appointed stated several reasons why he was making the decision.

In the tweets seen by Osun Defender, Oliseh said “Due to contract violations, lack of support, unpaid wages, benefits to my players, assistant coaches and myself, I resign as Super Eagles Chief Coach,” he tweeted.

He thanked Nigerians for the opportunity of serving as the coach of the team in a preceding tweet before announcing his resignation. “I feel fortunate, blessed and eternally grateful for having the honour to play, captain and coach this great nation of ours, Nigeria.”

We would bring you more details as they emerge.

Lulu, Ogunjobi Fail To Stop Corruption Trials

Justice E. S. Chukwu of the federal high court sitting in Maitama, Abuja, on Monday dismissed a “no-case-submission” filed by Sani Lulu, a former president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), in the corruption charge brought against him and three others by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

According to a statement released on Tuesday by Wilson Uwujaren, head, media and publicity of EFCC, others involved in the case are Amanze Uchegbulam, former first vice president of NFF; Taiwo Ogunjobi, former executive committee member; and Bolaji Ojo-Oba, NFF former secretary-general.

The quarter were arraigned on September 6, 2010, for allegedly misappropriating over N1.5billion released by the federal government to the NFF without giving proper accounts of how the money was spent during the South Africa 2010 World Cup. “They were explicitly accused of siphoning about $125,000 through shoddy hotel bookings in South Africa during the 2010 World Cup, $250,000 lost as a result of booking the wrong airline for the trip, $400,000 allegedly expended on the Nigeria/Colombia friendly match and $236, 000 which vanished from the coffers of the Glass House in 2009,” the statement said.

“Lulu and his co-accused, among other things, were also accused of flouting due process in the purchase of two Marcopolo buses for the national teams, as well as sharing of N185 million amongst state chairmen of the Nigerian Football Association (NFA) in their futile bid to frustrate their ouster from the football house. “The accused persons have since their arraignment employed all means known to law to frustrate their trial as they jointly filed a ‘no case submission’ through their lawyers, but was strongly opposed by counsel to EFCC, Titus O. Ashaolu (SAN).”

The statement quoted Justice Chukwu as dismissing the application, saying the defendants were bound by the Public Procurement Act (PPA) and as such should defend themselves in the charges levelled against them by the EFCC. “The NFF statue is not an Act of the National Assembly but it must be subject to the laws of Nigeria. This is particularly in a case where the money being expended is tax payers’ money and not one of a limited liability company,” Chukwu was quoted as saying. “The provision of Section 60 of the Public Procurement Act (PPA) covers NFF and having said that, it followed that all the defendants are bound by the provision of the PPA.” The case has been adjourned to March 9, 2016 for the accused persons to open their defence.

Oliseh defends Egypt List, Friday

Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh will on Friday appear before the technical committee of the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) to defend his choice of players for the double-header against the Pharaohs of Egypt next month.

Oliseh will be appearing before the technical committee for the first time since the committee resigned over his behaviour before upturning their decision, and will also discuss his game plan for the games.

Nigeria will welcome group leaders Egypt to Kaduna on Friday, March 25, before a reverse fixture in Egypt two days later.

The Eagles training camp for the AFCON qualifiers is expected to open with players from the domestic league two weeks to the home game in Kaduna.

NFF Seeks Respite For Oliseh

Due to the outcry surrounding his video rant, and his rejection of playing the AFCON qualifier against Egypt in Kaduna, the NFF are now seeking means to prevent a backlash on the Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh.

The NFF after inspecting the facilities of the Ahmadu Bello Stadium also reached out to prominent sons and daughters to canvass for full support for the Super Eagles who face seven-time African champions Egypt in an AFCON qualifier on March 23.

Oliseh had reportedly opposed the choice of Kaduna saying it was akin to playing “AWAY on a home soil”, and the football house feel it might haunt them if they do not wet the ground ahead of the match. “The NFF aside from making sure that the facilities are in place are also going on a PR mission to get massive support for the Eagles after reports that Oliseh favoured Port Harcourt over Kaduna for the match”, a reliable source informed yesterday.

It was gathered that the football house would also ensure a tighter security around Super Eagles coach because of recent developments. Assistant Director, (Media) and spokesman of NFF Ademola Olajire however laughed off beefing security around Oliseh for the match. “There will be adequate security for everybody at the stadium. I do not know of security for an individual”, Olajire said.

The Super Eagles are two points behind group leaders Egypt after two rounds of matches with only group winners guaranteed automatic qualification to the tournament in Gabon.


NFF Insist On Kaduna For Nigeria Vs Egypt Nations Cup Qualifier

The Nigeria Football Federation has concluded plans to have a hitch free match at the Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna when the Super Eagles battle the Pharaohs of Egypt in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on March 23.

The football house says it is not planning to change the venue of the match despite indications that coach Sunday Oliseh wants the game to hold in Port Harcourt.

The clarification came from NFF Assistant Director, Media and Communication, Ademola Olajire on Thursday who stated clearly that the match will not be moved from the northern city.

“I want to tell you without mincing words that the Eagles versus Egypt match would take place in Kaduna and that is final as regards the venue of the match,” Olajire told reporters.

But when asked about coach’s request for the match to be played in Port Harcourt for easy connection of flights for the Super Eagles players coming from Europe, the NFF spokesman said the federation will not shift ground for the trainer.

“Well, what I can tell you is that the coach cannot tell the football federation where the match would be played. It is the prerogative of the NFF to pick match venues,” he said.