Police Probe Alleged Racist Attack On City’s Sterling

British police are investigating an alleged racially aggravated assault on Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling before the Premier League leaders’ victory against Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

“On Sunday 17 December 2017, police were made aware that a 23-year-old man had been subject to a racially aggravated assault,” a police spokesman said.

The Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported that Sterling was apparently kicked and racially abused as he arrived at City’s Etihad Campus on Saturday morning before their 4-1 win over Tottenham, during which the attacker scored twice.

The report said a man appeared to be waiting for the 23-year-old England international as he arrived at the training ground to prepare for the game.

The newspaper said it is understood that Sterling got out of his car to ask what the problem was but was then kicked in the leg.

City have not commented on the matter and a formal complaint has not yet been lodged but police confirmed they are treating it as “a hate crime”.

“While an official report has not yet been made, enquiries will be carried out and officers are treating it as a hate crime.”

Sterling has been one of the stars of City’s record-breaking season, scoring 15 goals in all competitions as Pep Guardiola’s side have romped clear at the top of the Premier League and racked up 16 straight league wins.

AFP

Soccer Star Bags 9 Years Jail Term Over Alleged Gang-Rape

Former Manchester City star, Robinho has been sentenced to nine years in prison for rape.
The ex-Brazil international, alongside five others, were convicted in Italy this evening for the gang-rape of a 22-year-old Albanian woman.

The now 33-year-old was found guilty of the offence which was committed in a Milanese disco in 2013, while he was on the books at AC Milan.

The Atletico Mineiro forward could still appeal the guilty verdict, which would put off any jail time until the appeal avenues are exhausted.

Robinho released a statement on his Instagram page stating that he had “already defended himself against the accusations, affirming that he did not participate in the episode” and that “all legal measures are being taken”

I Am Going To “Kill” My Players If We Fail To Win Premier League – Guardiola

Manchester City Manager Pep Guardiola has vowed his team are condemned to finish the season the way they started or he’ll ‘kill’ the players.

City continued their Premier League dominance with a 2-0 win at Leicester City on Saturday seeing them maintain their eight-point lead at the top, scoring 40 goals and conceding just seven in the process.

The Spaniard said there was no chance of his team becoming complacent despite their stunning form.

“That is not going to happen because I am their manager,” Guardiola said.

“The team, that is not going to happen. I’ll kill them. Complacency doesn’t happen in my teams.

 

“They can play bad, teams are going to beat us, that happens.

“But if you see the team, they have the desire to have the ball and play. We are not a team that speculates about absolutely anything. That’s not going to happen.”

Guardiola’s men have made a flying start to the season, dropping just two points from the first 12 games,

City have already qualified for the last 16 of the Champions League but they host Feyenoord on Tuesday.

 

Chelsea Can Overhaul City – Courtois

Manchester City look to be in an “unstoppable” run of form but Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois says there is plenty of time for the London club to reel the leaders in and retain their Premier League title.

City took the early lead in the title race last season and was eight points ahead of Chelsea after the opening six games before Antonio Conte’s team went on a 13-game winning run to climb to first place seal the league trophy.

This season, Pep Guardiola’s team have a nine-point advantage over Chelsea but Courtois said City might lose steam as the season goes on.

“Last year we were eight points behind City at one stage and then we went on a winning run. I hope we can do the same,” Courtois told the club’s website. (www.chelseafc.com)

“We have to hope now they drop points. At the moment they are a bit unstoppable, they are playing very well and scoring goals.

“But the season is very long, they could have injuries, play a bit worse and lose some games. We have to be there and keep winning our games.”

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte also dismissed media reports linking him to AC Milan after Sunday’s win over Manchester United at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea returns to league action after the international break with a trip to West Bromwich Albion on November 18.

 

 

 

Source: SuperSport

Guardiola Criticizes Match Ball

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has criticized the weight of the match ball used in the League Cup after his team failed to score in their fourth-round match against Wolverhampton Wanderers and won 4-1 on penalties.

Premier League leaders City have scored 32 goals in nine games so far, the most by any side, but failed to find the net against the Championship side as the score remained 0-0 after 120 minutes of active play.

Goalkeeper Claudio Bravo saved two of Wolves’ penalties to help City win and Guardiola blamed the Mitre ball for his side’s inability to score.

“It is not acceptable, the ball was unacceptable for a high-level competition,” Guardiola said after the match.

“It is too light, there is no weight, nothing. It is not a good ball. It is impossible to score with a ball like that and I can say that because we won.

“I’m not making excuses. All of my players said, ‘what is that?’ I’m sorry, Carabao Cup, but that is not a serious ball for a serious competition.”

Bravo has been heavily criticised for sloppy performances since joining City in 2016 and Brazilian Ederson has been Guardiola’s first-choice keeper this season.

“Without Claudio we would not be in the next round,” Guardiola added. “I am so, so happy for him because it has not always been easy. He made a lot of important saves for us.”

Striker Sergio Aguero, who captained the side, missed out on the chance to become City’s record goalscorer but will have an opportunity again when Guardiola’s side travel to West Bromwich Albion in the league on Saturday.

Man City: Stones Eager To Repay Guardiola For Faith In Him

John Stones Manchester City center-back says he is anxious to repay manager Pep Guardiola for the faith he showed in him during his difficult first season at the Etihad Stadium.

The 23-year-old, produced several error-strewn displays last season after joining City from Everton in a £47.5 million ($62.9 million, 53.6 million euros) move that made him the world’s second most expensive defender.

But Guardiola stuck by the England international and has been rewarded this season as Stones has contributed to six clean sheets in City’s last seven games, helping the club to top spot in the Premier League.

“Really good,” Stones said when asked how Guardiola had helped him last season. “Always positive and wanting me to do better and that’s what I try to repay him on the pitch.

“The games this season speak for themselves: clean sheets both in the Champions League and Premier League. I feel like I’m developing as a player and a person under him.

“That’s all down to the players around me, him and the staff that are there. All I want to do is keep this run going and see where it takes us.”

Stones produced a strong performance in City’s 1-0 win at defending champions Chelsea last Saturday and he agreed it was one of his most impressive displays in City’s colors.

“I think I’ve always been moving in the right direction. Everyone has their ups and downs,” he told journalists ahead of England’s penultimate World Cup qualifier at home to Slovenia on Thursday.

“We’ve started this season well as a team. It was an important match against Chelsea. They won the league last season.

“It was an important game to keep the run going and keep another clean sheet. Defensively, on a personal note, it was maybe one of the best games I’ve played in.”

Ariana Grande To Get Manchester Citizenship

Ariana Grande, the American pop singer is in line to get the honorary citizenship of Manchester after her benefit concert.

The Manchester City Council wanted to hand the 23-year-old singer the honour after she arranged “One Love Manchester” benefit concert to raise money for the victims of the terror attack in May, reports aceshowbiz.com.

They are proposing a new system, which would recognise those people who aren’t residents of the city but still make an outstanding contribution to it.

Council leader Sir Richard Leese told BBC News, “(Many people already see Ariana as) an honorary Mancunian. This seems a fitting moment to update the way we recognise those who make noteworthy contributions to the life and success of our city.”

He added, “We’ve all had cause to be incredibly proud of Manchester and the resilient and compassionate way in which the city, and all those associated with it, have responded to the terrible events of May 22 – with love and courage rather than hatred and fear … (Ariana had) exemplified this response.”

The council also said they plan to hold an event to recognise the “a great many selfless acts and demonstrations of community spirit in the aftermath of the atrocity.” Grande had re-released her track titled “One Last Time” in aid of Manchester victims.

She decided to re-release the 2014 song as a means of providing funds for those affected by the bombing that killed 22 and injured 119.

Grande’s decision to re-release the song came after she took to the stage in Manchester at the Emirates Old Trafford cricket ground to host her star-studded One Love Manchester benefit concert.

It was held in honour of the victims and all the families that suffered in the aftermath of the bombing that took place moments after Grande had finished her performance on May 22.

For the benefit gig, she was joined by fellow singers including Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Pharrell Williams, Black Eyed Peas, Little Mix, Robbie Williams and more. All artists performed for free, while the costs of the concert were covered by Live Nation.

Yaya Toure Targets Cup Glory With City

Midfielder Yaya Toure is hoping Manchester City can avoid a trophy-less season by winning the FA Cup in May but insists the side remain focused on their Premier League campaign and Saturday’s clash against Southampton.

Fourth-placed City, who dropped out of the title race after losing to league leaders Chelsea earlier this month, face Arsenal in an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley on April 23 as they target a sixth victory in the tournament and first since 2011.

“I want to win trophies. I hope we can lift something for us and the fans this year,” Toure told the club’s website. “All this year, we’ve been fighting for something… The FA Cup is a big target for us this year. We’re looking forward to it.”

City travel to ninth-placed Southampton with two wins in their last five visits to St Mary’s and will be eager to maintain their four-point cushion over fifth-placed Manchester United, who have a game in hand.

“First of all, we have Southampton and then we’ll see what happens,” the Ivorian said.

“I’m the type of player that always wants to win. In football, sometimes you can lose or draw. We want to always be at the top but we want to keep on going… We play Southampton and we’ll try and win that game.”

Pep Guardiola Uncertain About Gabriel Jesus Recovery For FA Cup Semifinals

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola believes Gabriel Jesus will not recover from a broken bone in his foot in time for the FA Cup semifinal against Arsenal on April 23 but hopes the striker can feature in the final, should the club progress.

The 20-year-old Brazilian, who was expected to return in early May, scored three goals in five appearances for City prior to sustaining a broken metatarsal in February.

“Two weeks? I think he’s short,” Guardiola told reporters. “Hopefully the (FA Cup) final (May 27) if we arrive there, I don’t know.

“He’s getting better. The last few sunny days he was on the pitch. Normally when you see the weather in Manchester, you stay off the pitch!” he added.

City have a congested fixture list at the end of April, when they play three games in eight days starting with the FA Cup tie against Arsenal at Wembley, followed by the Manchester derby on April 27 and a trip to Middlesbrough three days later.

However, City, who are fourth in the Premier League, will turn their immediate attention to Saturday’s trip to face ninth-placed Southampton.

 

 

Source: Supersport

Pep Guardiola, Responsible For Manchester City’s Elimination

Pep Guardfiola blames himself for the failure of Manchester City to keep up with the Champions Leagues competition. “He says he didn’t convince then enough to win the match against monaco”.

“I tried to convince them in all the meetings we had to come here, try to attack and score,” said Guardiola.

“My mistake was being not able to convince them to do that.”

The Spaniard added: “I did [convince them] in the second half but it was too late.

“All managers make mistakes but I don’t think it was down to a tactical mistake.

“It’s simple. The difference was between the first and the second half. In the second half we tried to win the game, we tried to play. I did it all my career in that way. But the problem was the first half. We weren’t there.”

City were overrun and sloppy at the back as they conceded twice in the first half.

They were much improved in the second 45 minutes and looked to have saved themselves through Leroy Sane’s 71st-minute strike, but further defensive frailties were exposed as Tiemoue Bakayoko headed in a decisive third for the home side.

Guardiola continued: “It’s not about the defence. Today was not about that. Why was the second half a problem with the defence?

“Our strikers have to be aggressive and pick the ball up, but we didn’t at this crucial time. That’s why we are out.”

This is the first time that a side managed by Guardiola have exited the Champions League at the last-16 stage.

But he was adamant his players would learn from the experience and come back stronger next season.

“I came here to win the Champions League. I tried, I tried – and I will try again,” he said. “Playing like we have done this season, like in the second half, would have been enough.

“The competition is so demanding. Hopefully we are going to learn so that, next season, we can come back here and make the same performance we did at the Etihad for the whole 90 minutes.”

 

Super Eagles Interim Boss To Understudy Guardiola At Manchester City

Super Eagles interim coach Salisu Yusuf has told AfricanFootball.com he plans to return overseas to understudy new Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola by the new English Premier League season.

Yusuf was recently at Scottish club Hearts to understudy their workings.

“I hope to understudy Pep (Guardiola) by the time he resumes at Manchester City. I was scheduled to do that when I finished at Hearts in Scotland, but I shifted it because I wanted to attend the CAF A license in Abuja,” the coach told AfricanFootball.com

“My visit to Scotland was eye-opening and it showed to me again why cubs in Europe are very prepared because they have experts for all aspects of their preparations – from fitness conditioning to dieting.”

Guardiola will replace Manuel Pellegrini at The Etihad for the new season when Yusuf then hopes to visit.

Former Kano Pillars and Enyimba coach Yusuf, who has assisted Stephen Keshi, Sunday Oliseh and Samson Siasia, will lead Nigeria for two friendlies against Mali and Luxembourg in the new month.