Pastor Killed By Suspected Kidnappers In Ondo

A Pastor identified as Oluwafemi Komolafe was killed by suspected kidnappers along the Benin-Ijebu Ode Expressway at Ore in the Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.

According to reports Komolafe was travelling with his son, Timilehin when the suspected kidnappers attacked. The incident was disclosed by the Ondo State Police Commissioner, Mr. Gbenga Adeyanju while speaking with journalists in his office on Wednesday.

Adeyanju disclosed that Timileyin has been rescued alongside two other travelers by men of his Command.

He said, “The man (pastor) was travelling with his son when the kidnappers stopped them on the road, they shot the man and took the boy away.

“Our men engaged the hoodlums in a shootout but they escaped. We even lost one of our men who went for the operation.

“After the incident, our men with the assistance of the local hunters combed the whole area. We attacked the hoodlums and we were able to rescue the three victims in their den.

“The boy whose father was killed and two other travelers who were going to Lagos from Port Harcourt were rescued successfully.”

 

Angola Arrests Nigerian Kidnappers

Angolan authorities in Huíla Province in the southwest have arrested three Nigerian nationals allegedly for kidnapping a Chinese, local media confirmed.

According to Jornal de Angola, the Nigerians had also robbed the Chinese of $11,700 (Kwanzas 12m) over ransom demand.

The paper said the Nigerian used guns to execute their crime.

The Chinese national, a 53-year-old bricklayer, was reportedly kidnapped at Arimba commune and held for 72 hours by the criminals.

He was freed after a ransom was paid, Jornal de Angola reported.

It added that the three Nigerian nationals were later arrested in the capital Luanda.

“They are living legally in Angola,” the Huíla Province Criminal Investigation Services head, Mr Alberto Sawana, was quoted as saying.

Huíla Province, about 904km south of Luanda, is the second most populous region after the capital.

The province is rich in mineral resources, that tend to attract people from far and wide.

The minerals found in Huíla Province include iron, gold, kaolin, diamonds, manganese, mica, black granite and mineral water.

Africa Review

Kidnappers Demand N10m Ransom For Kogi Student

A statement by the National Association of Kogi Students (NAKOSS) on Monday said that Adetutu, a HND 1 student was kidnapped on Friday at Itakpe junction, on Lokoja-Okene road.

It disclosed that she was travelling to Ogun State in a commercial bus when the abductors stopped the vehicle at gunpoint and abducted her.

Mr Salihu Lukman, NAKOSS Director of Student Affairs who signed the statement, said that the abductors had reduced the ransom to N500,000 after negotiations.

“As I speak to you, negotiations are still on going. Today makes it the 4th day now and the poor mother of Adetutu who happens to be a widow can’t afford the ransom.

“We are pleading with the government and the public to come to the aid of this poor student so that we can secure her release,” the statement said.

While confirming the incident, the Public Relation Officer of the state police command, ASP William Aya said that the police was working hard to rescue the student.

Aya said that the command had already deployed a special squad which was on the trail of the kidnappers.

He, however, said that he was not aware of the demand for a N10 million ransom by the abductors.

Italian Priest Kidnapped In Edo State

Maurizio Pallu who is an Italian priest, has been kidnapped by gunmen in Edo state. The 63-year-old priest was snatched last Thursday in broad daylight by armed men just outside of Benin City.

“Pope Francis has been informed about the Italian priest Maurizio Pallu kidnapped in Nigeria and he is praying for him,” chief Vatican spokesman Greg Burke wrote on Twitter on Friday evening.

Vatican Radio said Pallu, who had been stationed in Nigeria for three years, was travelling with a group of four other people when they were attacked and robbed by armed men who took Pallu but let the others go.

Archbishop John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, who confirmed the incident to TV2000, an Italian Catholic TV channel, said that the security forces are doing everything possible to find him.

“For the moment, we don’t have any good news but we are confident and will continue to hope that Father Maurizio will be freed,” he added.

Police Kills Two Suspected Kidnappers, Rescues Victim

The Police Command in Anambra said it has killed two suspected kidnappers and rescued a victim.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, Mrs Nkeiru Nwode, made this disclosure on Saturday in Awka while addressing newsmen.

Nwode, an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), said the victim, simply identified as Nnamdi, was kidnapped on Oct. 11, in a filling station at Obosi, near Onitsha, by four armed hoodlums.

According to her, N20 million was demanded as ransom but the detectives attached to Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the command trailed them as they were coming to collect the ransom on Oct. 13.

“As the hoodlums got to know that they were being trailed, they started attacking the police but two of the kidnappers were killed, while others escaped with bullet wounds,” Nwode said.

She said exhibits recovered from the suspects included one locally made pistol with two live cartridges, one cut to size single barrel gun, one unregistered Q-link motorcycle and a cell phone.

Nwode assured members of the public of the relentless efforts of the police in securing lives and property in the state.

Insecurity: Man Declares 30-Day Hunger Strike In Edo

Over the incessant killings, kidnapping and insecurity in Edo state, a middle-age man, Roy Oribhabor, has declared 30-day hunger strike to drive home his rejection for the unrest.

Addressing newsmen in Benin City under the aegis of ‘The voice of the commoners in Nigeria’, Oribhabor said the rate of insecurity in the state was alarming.

According to him, urgent steps must be taken to curtail the ugly trend through the establishment of Neighbourhood Security Agency.

Oribhabor, who lamented the helplessness of Edo residents, said: “He is seriously worried about this development in our society, therefore it has become pertinent to call on Edo State government to establish Neighbourhood Security Agency to tackle the ugly trend. ”

“To this effect, I, Roy Oribhabor, hereby declare hunger strike from today, October 9, 2017 to November 8, 2017 to call the world attention and also government to provide adequate security and unconditional release of Amb. Osayomore Joseph and Mr. Andy Ehanire”, he said.

Oribhabor recalled that few months ago, the immediate past chairman of Etsako East Local Government Area, Johnson Afegbua, was killed by unknown gunmen along Benin-Auchi road while recently, Mr. Andy Ehanire, Managing Director of Ogba Zoo and Gardens and musical icon, Amb. Osayomore Joseph, were kidnapped in the state.

“Also, my car was stolen. On September 30, 2017, popular DJ MOG was robbed and shot. Mr. Andy Ehanire was kidnapped as if that was not enough, a prominent local musician, Amb. Osayomore Joseph also kidnapped and his wife shot. A university don, Prof. Paul Otasowie, of the University of Benin, was killed. This is just to mention a few.

“We can no longer sleep with our two eyes closed. I hereby condemn the activities of criminal elements and their behaviours to undermine the security of the state,” he noted.

Declare State Of Emergency On Kidnapping, Ritual Killings – Osun Muslims Clamour

Osun State Muslim community has urged the Federal and State Governments to declare ‘a state of emergency’ on kidnapping, ritual killings and social injustice.
According to the Muslim community, kidnapping, ritual killings and social injustice are rampant in the society, hence there is the need by the FG and state governments to take drastic steps in combating the menace.
The call was made at the 1439 A.H Hijrah celebration held at the Osogbo City Stadium, Osogbo last Sunday.
Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola who was the Chief Host of the event, called on Muslims to imbibe Hijrah lessons by intensifying prayers for the state and the country against all manners of afflictions like economic hardship, insecurity and social injustice.
Aregbesola who was represented by the Commissioner for Home Affairs, Dr Adebisi Obawale said Prophet Muhammed’s journey from Mecca to Medina signified his commitment to promoting peace, tolerance and propagation of Islam, urging the Muslims faithful to ensure peaceful coexistence with non-Muslims.
Delivering his Hijrah message on the theme of the programme tagged: ‘Kidnapping and Ritual Killings in Nigeria; Islamic Perspective, the Vice-Chairman of the Muslim community, Alhaji Mustafa Olawuyi said the recent ritual killings in some part of Osun state called for concern and proactive measure from the government and security agents.
Olawuyi stated that Islam forbids unjust killings, quoting from the Quran that, “If anyone slays a human being, unless for murder or for spreading corruption on earth, it shall be as though he had killed all mankind; whereas if anyone saves a life, it shall be as though he had saved the lives of all mankind.”
He traced the causes of kidnapping and ritual killings to security inadequacies, social injustice and greed, calling on members of the public to embrace the teachings of Quran for a safe, just and friendly society.
In his address, the chairman of the occasion, Dr Musibaudeen Adelasoye said, “the trending kidnapping and ritual killings was alarmingly disgraceful and abhorring, saying that it posed threat to the dignity, sacredness and virtue of human life”.
The guest lecturer, Sheik Musbaudeen Orimadegun accused political leaders, government functionaries and religious leaders of sponsoring kidnapping and ritual killings, saying that was why it is difficult to curtail the criminal acts.
According to Orimadegun, the insincerity of security agents and corrupt judicial system had been frustrating efforts to combat kidnapping and ritual killings, saying that majority of culprits arrested for the offences have been eventually freed by either the security agents or court.
He said for Nigeria to be a safe society, individuals must shun greed, lust for power and ‘fast way to get rich’ without stress.
Aregbesola said the state government was not relenting in maintaining and sustaining the status of Osun as the ‘most peaceful state’ in Nigeria, vowing to tackle petty crimes and social injustice across the state.
The governor said his administration has taken security matter with utmost seriousness and that it is committed to a secured, safe and crime free state by providing vehicles to all security agencies in the state and as well supporting them with other logistics to aid their effectiveness and operations.
He commended the security agents in the state on their efforts in combating kidnapping and ritual killings, just as he challenged them to totally kick-out the criminal act to enhance the security of lives in the state.

Three Police Officers Killed, Zoo Attendant Abducted In Edo

Suspected kidnappers have reportedly killed three police officers who were posted to provide security for fun seekers at the Ogba Zoological Garden and Nature Park, in Oredo Local Government of Edo State.

Osun Defender learnt that the gunmen also abducted the Director and Chief Executive Officer of Ogba Zoo, Dr. Andy Ehanire, and taken to unknown destination.

Andy Ehanire is the younger brother of a former Senator of the Federal Republic and wife of a retired army General, Mrs. Daisy Danjuma.

The hoodlums who reportedly stormed the Zoo at about 6 pm on Sunday, were said to have made away with the service rifles of three policemen after killing them.

The incident disrupted activities at the Zoo as fun-seekers scampered for safety and hurriedly left after the attacker had whisked away the Director.

Edo State Police Command Spokesman, DSP Moses Nkombe, who confirmed the incident said the situation has been brought under control.

Nkombe said security has been beefed up in the area, adding that the attackers would soon be arrested as police have begun manhunt for them.

He assured members of the public that the Zoo is safe for fun seekers, adding that the Commissioner of Police, Haliru Gwandu, has ordered deployment of more officers and patrol van to the area.

 

Gunmen Abduct 2 Catholic Priests

According to The National Episcopal Conference of Congo (CENCO) says gunmen kidnapped two Catholic priests in an area at the center of over two years of massacres by unknown assailants.

The two priests, Charles Kipasa and Jean-Pierre Akilimali, were taken from Our Lady of the Angels parish in Bunyuka, located between the towns of Butembo and Beni, by a group of around 10 assailants just before 10 p.m. (2000 GMT) on Sunday.

“Priests are men of God who devote their lives to the good of the population without a political agenda. To hurt them is to harm the community they serve,” CENCO said in a statement.

CENCO called upon the security forces to do everything possible to free the men. Three other priests, abducted in the same area in October 2012, still have not been freed.

Congo’s mineral-rich eastern borderlands, a tinderbox of ethnic tensions, has for more than two decades been the theater of successive wars and rebellions. Beni has been among the most volatile zones in the last two years.

 

Kidnappers Of Delta Students Nabbed

The leader of a four-man kidnap gang, Austine, alias Lion, that recently abducted five secondary school students at Ughelli, Delta State, has been caught by the anti-kidnapping unit.

The kidnappers, identified as Joseph, Onos, Omojevbe, Tina and Stella, were arrested by the Committee on Peace and Security, Delta State House of Assembly. Three members of the kidnap gang are, however, on the run.

 

Chairman of the anti-kidnapping unit, Austin Opunbor, said: “Immediately we received the report of the kidnap of the school children, our committee mobilised its men to be on their trail. “While some of our personnel were on the streets monitoring events, others embarked on a thorough search from forest to forest and uncompleted buildings. “The arrest of the self-confessed gang leader was quite tasking,” adding that when the gang discovered that the committee was closing in on them, it quickly released the victims. Opunbor disclosed that the children have been re-united with their families, while the committee has launched a manhunt for the three fleeing suspects.

Parents Of Kidnapped Lagos Pupils Pay Ransom

The parents of the six abducted pupils of Lagos State Model College, Igbonla Epe, have paid N31m ransom to the criminals who kidnapped their children. About 53 days ago 10 Senior Secondary School pupils were taken from their hostel by gunmen, 3 days after the men informed the school of their plans. The gunmen eventually released 4 taking 6 with them.

Investigations revealed that some parents were assigned to take the money to an undisclosed place, where they paid to some members of the gang in two tranches.

The parents were, however, worried that their children had not been released since last week when their abductors promised to set them free. The kidnappers last Sunday promised to release the children.

 

Sources, who spoke with SUNDAY PUNCH, said many parents sold their property and borrowed from friends and relatives to pay the N31m ransom.

A source said, “We don’t know what else these people want. The parents are stranded. The first time, three parents met with them somewhere and gave them N10m.

“They demanded another N21m ransom. The parents took the money to the place and gave it to some gang members. They told the parents that they had done all the necessary things and promised to release the children in the next two days. They have been expecting the children since last week.”

One of the parents said his quest to reunite with his child had increased tremendously in the last few days as a result of the assurance by the abductors.

“We gave them N31m cash. We didn’t send it through a third party and they confirmed the money was complete. They promised to release our children soon.

“We were confused when we heard that they demanded another N1.5m before the children could be released,” the parent added.