Kidnappers Demand N50 Million Ransom For Release Of Pastor

The abductors of the District Superintendent of Assemblies of God Church, Ikorodu, Lagos State, Rev Ekpenyong James, who was abducted at the Okurikang Junction, along Calabar-Itu Highway, have demanded a ransom of N50 million.

The cleric, an indigene of Isong Inyang village in Odukpani Local Government Area of Cross River State, was said to be constructing a school, hospital and palm plantation in his home town, when he was abducted.

According to reports, the pastor was returning from an inspection visit to the projects sites, when he was trailed and abducted. A source told newsmensaid:

“The abductors have made contact with the family and they are demanding N50 million ransom for his release. They think because the man is undertaking many projects, he has some huge amount of money stashed away somewhere.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Irene Ugbo, who confirmed the incident, said the Police was working round the clock to ensure his safe release. She revealed that the lady who was with him at the time of the incident is being investigated, as she was the first contact and suspect.

Her words: “The lady who was with him at the time he was kidnapped said when the men came to drag him out of the vehicle, he was making call. “People ran away and she went to hide somewhere; you know that this is a serious matter and we are not leaving any stone unturned. We want to get to the root of the matter.

“She is our first contact and suspect. We’re investigating her because the next day we contacted his wife and the DPO got some useful information from her. “By the grace of God, we are working on it and he will be released very soon; we are hopeful because we are closing in on them.”

Three Sisters Abducted By Gunmen In Niger State

Three sisters of the impeached chairman of Munya Local Government Council in Niger State, Malam Yahuza Mohammed, have been abducted by.

According to reports, the sisters were abducted at 1;30am on Saturday, at the local council chairman’s residence in Kuchi community.

The chairman, who was served with impeachment notice earlier in the week by the legislative arm of Munya Council was not in the residence when they were attacked.

However, a source close to the family told Daily Trust that the kidnappers placed a call to the chairman demanding N150 million ransom for the release of the girls.

The State Police Spokesman, ASP Mohammed Dan-Inna Abubakar, confirmed the abduction of the three sisters.

He said “We have no knowledge of the demand for ransom but officers and men of the command have since swung into action to rescue the girls and apprehend those behind the kidnapping.”


Four Foreign Nationals Abducted In Kaduna State

Kaduna State Police Command confirmed that four foreigners have been abducted nationals on Kwoi-Jere road in Kagarko local government area of Kaduna State.

This was announced by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Mukhtar Aliyu confirmed to NAN that the foreign nationals included two Canadians and two Americans.

The Spokesperson said the nationals were said to be returning to Abuja from Kafanchan, Jema’a local government area of Kaduna state, adding, “the kidnappers laid ambush for them and engaged the escorts in gun duel which led to the death of two policemen while the four foreigners were whisked to unknown destination.”

He said the Command had since swung into action as it had deployed its anti-kidnap unit and assured that the abductors would be brought to book.

The officer urged Nigerians to be vigilant and report any suspected persons or group of persons to the appropriate authorities.


Kidnapped Member Of Taraba State House Of Assembly Found Dead

The Taraba state police command has confirmed the death of kidnapped member of the Taraba State House of Assembly, Hosea Ibi, representing Takum I constituency.

This was revealed by the Police spokesman in the state, David Misal, who said the body of the lawmaker was found at Kwari, along Takum-Kashimbilla road.

He said: “Yes, it has been confirmed, the body was found this afternoon at Kwari, along Takum -Kashimbilla road.”

Ibi was kidnapped on December 30 last year, in Takum when he went home for Christmas celebration. Eyewitnesses said he was whisked away at gunpoint by his abductors, who were on riding a motorcycle.

Taraba State governor, Darius Ishaku, said he has been devastated by the death. “My heart has been broken,” he said.

Ibi’s colleague, Mark Useni, a former Speaker and member now representing Takum II, described Ibi’s death as shocking.

Useni noted that the people of Takum who were eagerly waiting for his release have been thrown into mourning this afternoon. “It’s a very sad news to the people of Takum and the entire state,” he said.


I Hunt And Kill Soldiers To Get Their Arms- Kidnapper

Ibrahim Umar, a 25-year-old kidnap-for-ransom kingpin, has revealed that he hunts and Kills soldiers to get their arms and uniforms for operations.

He made this statement yesterday when the police paraded him along with 15 others. Umar also admitted to recently killing over 10 of his victims and drinking their blood.

The suspect, a vicious and notorious kidnap/armed robbery kingpin, who said he has been in the business for over two years, was arrested alongside his three gang members in the forest and towns along Abuja-Kaduna, and Abuja-Suleja-Minna highway by men of the F-SARS Special Tactical Squad attached to Operation Absolute Sanity.

The husband of two wives and father of two, who gave his nickname as “Oro”, told journalists at Sabon Wuse Divisional Office, venue of the parade, that he had made fortunes worth millions of naira from the atrocities he carried out on the highway in the past two years.

The arms and ammunition recovered from the gang included five AK47 riffles, 15 7.62 X 39mm AK47 ammunition, two swords and cutlasses, four pairs of suspected fake military uniform and mobile phones.

The Force Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), who paraded the suspects before newsmen, gave their names as Mohammadu Auta, a.k.a Babawuro, aged 27; Musa Usman, 25 years old and Abdullahi Abubakar, aged 28. Umar’s gang, according to Moshood, “is the most vicious and notorious syndicate of kidnap-for-ransom gang arrested by the police in the recent time. The gang was defeated and its members captured after an intense gun battle that lasted more than five hours between the F- SARS Special Tactical Squad attached to Operation Absolute Sanity.

“The gang leader confessed to have killed personally more than 10 people, including those that he killed and still collected ransom from their families. He also confessed to have sucked the blood of most of the victims after killing them. He was identified by some of the victims rescued from their captivity by the police in the forest, “Moshood added.

Twelve other suspects were also arrested in the act of laying ambush to kidnap people returning from Christmas and New Year holidays on Kaduna-Abuja road and Minna-Suleja-Abuja road.He said they were apprehended in their various criminal hideouts in the forest and other locations along the Abuja-Suleja-Minna highways for kidnapping, armed robbery, murder and multiple rape cases.

“All the suspects arrested confessed to their various crimes. The suspects will be arraigned in court for prosecution on completion of investigation, while investigation is being intensified to arrest other members of the gang still at large,” he said.


334 Rape Cases Recorded In Kano

The Command Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Magaji Majiya of the Kano State Police Command on Friday disclosed while speaking to newsmen in the state that it recorded 334 cases of rape and other sexual offences in the state from January to date.

”Five Hundred and Forty Seven cases of rape and other sexual offences were reported in 2016 while 334 cases were received in 2017, indicating a major reduction in committing crimes in the state,” he said.

According to him, the command had recorded 601 major crimes, recovered 35 stolen vehicles and recovered N744.6 million properties in the period under review.

Majiya noted that the rate of crime had drastically gone down in the year under review considering the adequate security arrangements strategically deployed in the State and the number of criminals arrested with the synergy of the public and stakeholders involved.

He said 52 kidnapped victims were rescued and reunited with their respective families, adding that 73 different types of local arms and 273 live ammunitions were recovered from suspects.

“In the year 2016 the command witnessed 72 cases of armed robbery with 117 suspects arrested, while for the current year (2017), only 35 cases of robbery were reported and 76 suspects arrested”, he said.

According to him, the command had successfully arrested 497 members of different gangs of Yandaba (miscreants) in collaboration with traditional rulers and other security agencies.

“Eighty nine of the group had surrendered and renounced the perpetration of the heinous crime in addition to counseling and monitoring their conduct, for them to become responsible members of the society,” Majiya said.


Pastor Killed By Suspected Kidnappers In Ondo

A Pastor identified as Oluwafemi Komolafe was killed by suspected kidnappers along the Benin-Ijebu Ode Expressway at Ore in the Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.

According to reports Komolafe was travelling with his son, Timilehin when the suspected kidnappers attacked. The incident was disclosed by the Ondo State Police Commissioner, Mr. Gbenga Adeyanju while speaking with journalists in his office on Wednesday.

Adeyanju disclosed that Timileyin has been rescued alongside two other travelers by men of his Command.

He said, “The man (pastor) was travelling with his son when the kidnappers stopped them on the road, they shot the man and took the boy away.

“Our men engaged the hoodlums in a shootout but they escaped. We even lost one of our men who went for the operation.

“After the incident, our men with the assistance of the local hunters combed the whole area. We attacked the hoodlums and we were able to rescue the three victims in their den.

“The boy whose father was killed and two other travelers who were going to Lagos from Port Harcourt were rescued successfully.”


Angola Arrests Nigerian Kidnappers

Angolan authorities in Huíla Province in the southwest have arrested three Nigerian nationals allegedly for kidnapping a Chinese, local media confirmed.

According to Jornal de Angola, the Nigerians had also robbed the Chinese of $11,700 (Kwanzas 12m) over ransom demand.

The paper said the Nigerian used guns to execute their crime.

The Chinese national, a 53-year-old bricklayer, was reportedly kidnapped at Arimba commune and held for 72 hours by the criminals.

He was freed after a ransom was paid, Jornal de Angola reported.

It added that the three Nigerian nationals were later arrested in the capital Luanda.

“They are living legally in Angola,” the Huíla Province Criminal Investigation Services head, Mr Alberto Sawana, was quoted as saying.

Huíla Province, about 904km south of Luanda, is the second most populous region after the capital.

The province is rich in mineral resources, that tend to attract people from far and wide.

The minerals found in Huíla Province include iron, gold, kaolin, diamonds, manganese, mica, black granite and mineral water.

Africa Review

Kidnappers Demand N10m Ransom For Kogi Student

A statement by the National Association of Kogi Students (NAKOSS) on Monday said that Adetutu, a HND 1 student was kidnapped on Friday at Itakpe junction, on Lokoja-Okene road.

It disclosed that she was travelling to Ogun State in a commercial bus when the abductors stopped the vehicle at gunpoint and abducted her.

Mr Salihu Lukman, NAKOSS Director of Student Affairs who signed the statement, said that the abductors had reduced the ransom to N500,000 after negotiations.

“As I speak to you, negotiations are still on going. Today makes it the 4th day now and the poor mother of Adetutu who happens to be a widow can’t afford the ransom.

“We are pleading with the government and the public to come to the aid of this poor student so that we can secure her release,” the statement said.

While confirming the incident, the Public Relation Officer of the state police command, ASP William Aya said that the police was working hard to rescue the student.

Aya said that the command had already deployed a special squad which was on the trail of the kidnappers.

He, however, said that he was not aware of the demand for a N10 million ransom by the abductors.

Italian Priest Kidnapped In Edo State

Maurizio Pallu who is an Italian priest, has been kidnapped by gunmen in Edo state. The 63-year-old priest was snatched last Thursday in broad daylight by armed men just outside of Benin City.

“Pope Francis has been informed about the Italian priest Maurizio Pallu kidnapped in Nigeria and he is praying for him,” chief Vatican spokesman Greg Burke wrote on Twitter on Friday evening.

Vatican Radio said Pallu, who had been stationed in Nigeria for three years, was travelling with a group of four other people when they were attacked and robbed by armed men who took Pallu but let the others go.

Archbishop John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, who confirmed the incident to TV2000, an Italian Catholic TV channel, said that the security forces are doing everything possible to find him.

“For the moment, we don’t have any good news but we are confident and will continue to hope that Father Maurizio will be freed,” he added.

Police Kills Two Suspected Kidnappers, Rescues Victim

The Police Command in Anambra said it has killed two suspected kidnappers and rescued a victim.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, Mrs Nkeiru Nwode, made this disclosure on Saturday in Awka while addressing newsmen.

Nwode, an Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), said the victim, simply identified as Nnamdi, was kidnapped on Oct. 11, in a filling station at Obosi, near Onitsha, by four armed hoodlums.

According to her, N20 million was demanded as ransom but the detectives attached to Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the command trailed them as they were coming to collect the ransom on Oct. 13.

“As the hoodlums got to know that they were being trailed, they started attacking the police but two of the kidnappers were killed, while others escaped with bullet wounds,” Nwode said.

She said exhibits recovered from the suspects included one locally made pistol with two live cartridges, one cut to size single barrel gun, one unregistered Q-link motorcycle and a cell phone.

Nwode assured members of the public of the relentless efforts of the police in securing lives and property in the state.