Teenage Girl Sues Govt. For Forcing Her To Dye Her Hair Black

A Japanese teenager is suing the government of Osaka, saying her public high school repeatedly forced her to dye her naturally-brown hair black or be banned from attending school, local media reported on Friday.

In a lawsuit filed in Osaka District Court, the 18-year-old girl said her mother informed Kaifukan School in Habikino city upon her enrolment that she was born with brownish hair, as the school had a policy banning hair colouring, media reported.

Educators, however, instructed her to colour her hair black, telling her repeatedly that the dye job was insufficient and forcing her to “either dye the hair black or quit school”, citing the lawsuit.

The girl has not attended school since September 2016, suffered pain and irritation from the hair dye, and is seeking damages of about 2.2 million yen (19,300 dollars), said media, adding that Osaka prefecture is asking the court to reject the claim.

Masahiko Takahashi, head of Kaifukan School, said he could not comment directly on the case, but noted the school’s policy prohibiting students from dyeing or bleaching hair.

He declined to say whether it was permissible to dye brown hair to black. The girl could not be reached for comment.

In Japan, where conformity is the cultural norm, many schools have strict rules about hair color, accessories, make-up and uniforms, including the length of skirts for girls.

 

 

Source: NAN

Trump, Abe Agreed To Increase Pressure On North Korea

U.S. President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister  agreed to work together to raise pressure on North Korea, Yasutoshi Nishimura, a deputy chief cabinet secretary, said on Monday.

Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and U.S. President Donald Trump and spoke by telephone after the Japanese premier’s ruling coalition scored a big win in an election on Sunday.

Nishimura told reporters that Abe and Trump were planning to play golf together on Nov. 5, when Trump makes his first visit to Japan.

 

SON Confiscates Expired Drinks, Beverages In Osun

The Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON) in Osun has impouned expired drinks and beverages worth N3 million in a raid on major supermarkets and shops across the state.

The State Coordinator of SON, says choose water over diet drinks,  Mr Jerome Umoru, told reporters on Wednesday in Osogbo that the expired products were seized on Monday.

Umoru said the items were confiscated during raids carried out by the organisation’s task force.

He said many of the shop owners where the expired products were seized claimed ignorance of the expiration of the products while few others were aware.

The state coordinator said that the shop owners had been warned against selling expired products, adding that anyone caught doing so again would be dealt with according to the law.

Umoru, who decried the influx of expired products into the market, said the organisation would not relent in enforcing standards and standardisation of products in the markets.

He said the confiscated expired products would be destroyed in collaboration with the Osun Waste Management Agency. The state coordinator urged consumers to always check for the manufacture and expiry dates of products before purchase.

Umoru said the organisation would not relent in its mandate of getting rid of fake and sub-standard goods from markets across the state. “We are sustaining our enforcement and compliance activities in the state to ensure that expired goods are reduced to the barest minimum in the market,’’ Umoru said.

 

6.0-Magnitude Quake Hits Off Japan Coast

Officials have said that there is no risk for a tsunami, as a 6.0-magnitude earthquake hit off the coast of Fukushima in Japan on Friday but there was no risk of a tsunami, officials said.

The quake hit at a relatively shallow depth of 10 kilometres (six miles) at 04:59 pm (0759 GMT), 255 kilometres east of Ishinomaki, according to the United States Geological Survey. The Japan Meteorological Agency said the quake posed no tsunami risk.

Recall that a 9.0-magnitude earthquake in March 2011 triggered a massive and deadly tsunami, which smashed into the Fukushima nuclear power station and sparked the world’s worst atomic accident since Chernobyl in 1986.

Its operator is working to clean up and dismantle the reactors in a process that is expected to take at least four decades.

Japan In Defence Deploy Missile To Protect Northern Island

North Korea launched a missile over the island, sparking emergency warnings to take cover, while Japan deployed Tuesday an additional missile defence system on its northern island of Hokkaido, days after.

“As part of measures to prepare for emergencies, we will today deploy a PAC-3 unit” to a base of the nation’s Ground Self-Defense Force in the southern tip of Hokkaido, Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera told reporters.

The Patriot Advanced Capability-3 system arrived at the base later on Tuesday, a local defence official told AFP.

The move came with tensions on the Korean peninsula at fever-pitch after Pyongyang carried out its sixth nuclear test and fired two missiles over Japan in the space of less than a month.

North Korea “may take further provocative actions including launching ballistic missiles that would fly over Japan again in the future”, Onodera said, adding that his ministry “would take appropriate measures to protect people’s safety”.

According to local officials, Japan has already deployed the PAC-3 system to another part of Hokkaido.

But defence officials declined to confirm where in Japan other systems were deployed, citing the sensitive nature of defence information.

North Korea has threatened to “sink” Japan into the sea and said Saturday it sought military “equilibrium” with arch-enemy the United States by developing a full nuclear arsenal.

Hawkish Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said he would “never tolerate” the North’s “dangerous provocative action” and has urged the international community to ramp up pressure on Pyongyang.

The UN Security Council, which condemned the launch as “highly provocative,” will hold a new ministerial-level meeting Thursday on the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, focused on enforcing sanctions on the North Korean regime.

Missile Launch: North Korea Says They Still Have More Coming

North Korea had on Tuesday launched a missile across Japan that left citizens terrified. North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un has after the first launch promised more missile flights over Japan, insisting his nuclear-armed nation’s provocative launch was a mere “curtain-raiser”, in the face of UN condemnation and US warnings of severe repercussions.

The Hwasong-12 intermediate-range missile that Pyongyang unleashed on Tuesday represented a major escalation in the face of tensions over its weapons programmes.

In recent weeks it has threatened to send a salvo of missiles towards the US territory of Guam, while President Donald Trump has warned of raining “fire and fury” on the North.

After the latest launch Trump said that “all options” were on the table, reviving his implied threat of pre-emptive US military action just days after congratulating himself that Kim appeared to be “starting to respect us”.

The UN Security Council — which has already imposed seven sets of sanctions on Pyongyang — said in a unanimous statement the North’s actions “are not just a threat to the region, but to all UN member states”.

Both the North’s key ally China and Russia, which also has ties to it, backed the US-drafted declaration, but it will not immediately lead to new or tightened measures against Pyongyang.

The Rodong Sinmun newspaper, the mouthpiece of the North’s ruling party, on Wednesday carried more than 20 pictures of the launch near Pyongyang, one showing Kim smiling broadly at a desk with a map of the Northwest Pacific, surrounded by aides.

South Korea’s military said Tuesday that it had travelled around 2,700 kilometres (1,700 miles) and reached a maximum altitude of 550 kilometres.

The official Korean Central News Agency cited Kim as saying that “more ballistic rocket launching drills with the Pacific as a target in the future” were necessary.

Tuesday’s launch was a “meaningful prelude to containing Guam, advanced base of invasion”, he said, and a “curtain-raiser” for the North’s “resolute countermeasures” against ongoing US-South Korean military exercises which the North regards as a rehearsal for invasion.

Wednesday’s statement was the first time the North has acknowledged sending a missile over Japan’s main islands. Two of its rockets previously did so, in 1998 and 2009, but on both occasions it claimed they were space launch vehicles.

North Korea Fires Missile Over Japan

Citizens were thrown into terror this Tuesday when a Nuclear-armed North Korea fired a ballistic missile over Japan.

A visibly unsettled Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said it was an “unprecedented, serious and grave threat”, while the UN Security Council called an emergency meeting at Tokyo and Washington’s request.

Sirens blared out and text messages were fired off across northern Japan warning people in the missile’s flight path to take cover.

Trains were delayed as passengers were urged to seek shelter inside stations.

“All lines are experiencing disruption,” said one sign on Sapporo’s metro system. “Reason: Ballistic missile launch.”

The last time a North Korean rocket overflew Japan was in 2009, when Pyongyang said it was a satellite launch. Washington, Seoul and Tokyo believed it was a clandestine test of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).

Pyongyang last month carried out two overt ICBM tests that appeared to bring much of the US mainland within reach for the first time and heightened strains in the region.

At the time, US President Donald Trump issued an apocalyptic warning of raining “fire and fury” on the North, while Pyongyang threatened to fire a salvo of missiles towards the US territory of Guam.

South Korea said the latest missile was launched from Sunan, near Pyongyang and flew around 2,700 kilometres (1,700 miles) at a maximum altitude of around 550 kilometres.

Guam is about 3,500 kilometres from North Korea — although the missile was fired in an easterly direction and not towards the US outpost, home to 160,000 people and host to major military facilities.

Abe said the overflight was an “outrageous act” that “greatly damages regional peace and security”.

In a 40-minute telephone call with Trump, he said, the two allies had agreed to “further strengthen pressure against North Korea”.

Robert Wood, US Permanent Representative to the Conference on Disarmament at the UN in Geneva labelled it “another provocation” that was “a big concern”.

But China, the North’s key ally and main trading partner, urged restraint on all sides, with foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying saying the situation had reached a “tipping point” but warning pressure and sanctions “cannot fundamentally solve the issue”.

Russia, which also has ties to Pyongyang, said it was “extremely worried”, hitting out at a “tendency towards escalation”.

 

Lost U.S WW2 Warship Found After 72 years

The World War Two heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis has been found in the Pacific Ocean, 72 years after its sinking by a Japanese submarine.

The warship was discovered 18,000 feet (5.5km) beneath the surface.

The USS Indianapolis was destroyed returning from its secret mission to deliver parts for the atomic bomb which was later used on Hiroshima.

Of the 1,196 men on board, just 316 were rescued – the largest loss of life at sea in the history of the US Navy.

The Navy learned of the sinking when survivors were spotted four days later by the crew of a PV-1 Ventura on routine patrol.

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, who led the civilian search team, said the discovery was “truly humbling”.

The USS Indianapolis was destroyed on 30 July 1945 when, somewhere in the Philippine sea between Guam and Leyte, it was hit by a torpedo from a Japanese submarine.

Between 800-900 escaped the sinking ship. But no distress call was ever received, and by the time the survivors were found by chance four days later, just 316 were left alive in the shark-infested waters.

The ship’s rapid sinking – in just 12 minutes – and the lack of a distress call meant the ship’s location had long been a mystery.

Mr. Allen’s crew discovered the vessel on 18 August, after new research from a naval historian pointed them to a specific region of the ocean where the warship had been sighted the night before its destruction.

The ship is well-known for its final, secret mission, carrying parts for the atomic bomb nicknamed “Little Boy” as well as enriched uranium fuel for its nuclear reaction.

Those supplies were delivered to Tinian island, an American base in the final year of the war which launched the world’s first nuclear bombing.

Four days later, the Indianapolis sank – less than a week before the nuclear bomb it helped to make destroyed Hiroshima.

Along with the bomb named “Fat Man” dropped on Nagasaki, it forced the Japanese surrender and the end of World War Two.

“To be able to honour the brave men of the USS Indianapolis and their families through the discovery of a ship that played such a significant role during World War Two is truly humbling,” Mr Allen said.

“As Americans, we all owe a debt of gratitude to the crew for their courage, persistence and sacrifice in the face of horrendous circumstances.”

The USS Indianapolis remains the property of the US Navy, the search team’s statement said. It will now be considered a protected war memorial.

A spokesman for the survivors, 22 of whom are still alive, said each of them had “longed for the day when their ship would be found”.

Mr. Allen’s specially-outfitted research vessel, the Petrel, has been designed for exploration and research with a crew of 16.

It previously discovered the wreckage of both a Japanese warship, the Musashi, and an Italian naval vessel, Artigliere – both from the World War Two era.

Trump And Japan Develop New Plan Against N/Korea

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe spoke with U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday and agreed on the need for more action on North Korea.

Nikki Haley, U.S. Ambassador to the UN, said in a statement China must decide if it is willing to back imposing stronger U.N. sanctions on North Korea over Friday night’s long-range missile test, the North’s second this month.

Any new U.N. Security Council resolution “that does not significantly increase the international pressure on North Korea is of no value”, Haley said, adding that Japan and South Korea also needed to do more.

Abe told reporters after his conversation with Trump that repeated efforts by the international community to find a peaceful solution to the North Korean issue had yet to bear fruit in the face of Pyongyang’s unilateral “escalation”.

“International society, including Russia and China, need to take this seriously and increase pressure,” Abe said.

He said Japan and the United States would take steps toward concrete action but did not give details.

Abe and Trump did not discuss military action against North Korea, nor what would constitute the crossing of a “red line” by Pyongyang, Deputy Chief Cabinet spokesman Koichi Hagiuda told reporters.

A White House statement after the phone call said the two leaders “agreed that North Korea poses a grave and growing direct threat to the United States, Japan, the Republic of Korea, and other countries near and far”.

The white house said Trump “reaffirmed our ironclad commitment” to defend Japan and South Korea from any attack, “using the full range of United States capabilities”.

Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the talk between Abe and Trump lasted for about 50 minutes.

“The role that China can play is extremely important,” he told a news conference.

“Japan intends to call on those countries involved, including the UN, the United States and South Korea to start, but also China and Russia, to take on additional duties and actions to increase pressure,” Suga said, declining to give details about what those steps might be.

North Korea said on Saturday it had conducted another successful test of an intercontinental ballistic missile that proved its ability to strike the U.S. mainland, drawing a sharp warning from Trump and a rebuke from China.

Trump later wrote on Twitter that he was “very disappointed” in China and that Beijing profits from U.S. trade but had done “nothing” for the United States with regards to North Korea, something he would not allow to continue.

Chinese Vice Commerce Minister Qian Keming, asked at a news conference in Beijing about Trump’s tweets, said there was no link between the North Korea issue and China-U.S. trade.

 

Japan Widow Confesses To Killing Fourth Husband

Chisako Kakehi, 70, has become notorious over accusations she dispatched a number of elderly men she was involved with, drawing comparisons with the spider that kills its mate after copulation.

The one-time millionairess dubbed the “Black Widow” over the untimely deaths of lovers and a husband, admitted poisoning her last partner at her trial this week in a multiple murder case that has gripped Japan.

Kakehi is on trial for the murders of three men — including a husband — and the attempted murder of another, all to allow her to collect on insurance policies.

Prosecutors suspect she used cyanide to rid herself of her lovers, amassing a reported one billion yen ($8.8 million) in payouts over 10 years.

Her trial began in late June, but this week she stunned the court by telling judges it was true she had murdered her fourth husband in 2013.

“I was waiting for the right timing as I wanted to kill him out of deep hatred,” the Asahi newspaper quoted her as saying on Monday.

The Fuji television network quoted her as saying on Monday that the crime was just “an issue of money.”

But on Wednesday, Kakehi appeared to step back from those statements.

“I don’t remember (what I said)”, she testified, according to the Mainichi daily.

Kakehi’s lawyers have argued she is not guilty of murdering Isao Kakehi on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Kyoto District Court said last year that medical examinations found that Kakehi had early-stage dementia but was fit to stand trial.

If convicted or murder she could face the death penalty.

 

FG Signs Deal On Electricity Facilities Upgrade With Japan

The Federal Government yesterday sealed a pact of $11m (N2.17bn) with the Japanese Government for an emergency improvement of electricity supply facilities in Abuja.

The project to be implemented by the Japanese International Cooperation Agency and the Ministry of Power is aimed at procuring and installing power capacitor banks at the existing two sub-stations in Abuja and neighboring Nasarawa state.

This, according to the agreement, would decrease the transmission loss and assist in stabilizing power supply to approximately 7,000 households within the Federal Capital Territory.

The Minister of Budget and National Planning, Senator Udo Udoma, signed the pact on behalf of the Federal Government while the Ambassador of Japan to Nigeria Sadanobu Kusaoke, signed on behalf of his country.

Speaking at the event, Udoma said the pact marks the process for effective implementation of the electricity supply facilities grant project by the Japanese government.

He noted that the project has been designed to support Nigeria in promoting social-economic and infrastructural development.