JAMB Reschedules Examination for 12,000 Candidates on May 26

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board on Sunday said that it had set May 26 for a rescheduled Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations for more than 12,000 candidates across the country.

The Board’s Head of Media, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja.

According to Benjamin, more than 12,000 candidates are expected to sit for the mop up examinations in a few of its centres across the country.

This category of candidates, he explained, are those whose biometrics were not captured during the initial period of the UTME in March.

SEE ALSO: Teenage cultists threaten peace, dare the law at public secondary schools

He said: ““It would also include those who are yet to see their results since the end of the examinations in March till date and have not been involved in any form of malpractice.

“It will also include those who were unable to print out their e-slip before the earlier examinations and those whose centres were cancelled for suspected malpractices.’’

According to him, “There are centres that were cancelled because of suspicious activities but the board was unable to identify the actual culprits.

However, he said that those who were involved and caught in illicit acts and centres where a case of malpractice had been established against them would not partake in the rescheduled examinations.

He advised candidates who might have fallen into any of the categories to print their e-slips from Monday, May 21.

NAN recalls the board had earlier promised to reschedule the examinations for some candidates whose cases were exceptional, adding that candidates, who fall under such categories would be contacted before then. \

(NAN)

JAMB Pays N1 Billion To CBT Centres

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board’s  (JAMB) Head, Media and Information, Fabian Benjamin has revealed that the board has paid about N1 billion to owners of Computer-Based Test (CBT) centres nationwide for their services for the 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

Speaking to correspondents of the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos on SUnday Benjamin  said the payment was in line with the agreement reached with the CBT centres while revealing that this would promote and sustain a cordial working relationship with stakeholders that participate in the conduct of its annual examinations.

“We have just paid over N1 billion to all owners of CBT centres used in the conduct of our 2018 UTME.

“Centre owners that gave us quality service during our examination have all been commended for a job well done and we have reciprocated by effecting payments.

“However, we however discovered that some centres could not live up to their responsibilities as a result of some technical issues,” he told NAN.

According to him, candidates that are scheduled for the examination in such centres are relocated to new centres which will now be paid for their services.

Mr Benjamin said it was only proper to promptly keep to agreements as and when due to ensure better collaborative efforts in quality service delivery.

He explained that any centre that was originally scheduled for the exam that eventually had technical issues would not be paid because the board could not afford to pay twice for the same purpose.

“In some others on watching the footage of the CCTV cameras at the centres after the examination, we discovered operators or owners of such centres colluded with some candidates to cheat.

“These categories of centre owners cannot be paid. Currently too, the board has embarked on a mop-up exercise for candidates with biometric issues and other related issues that was no fault of theirs during the conduct of the examination.

“Apart from the biometric issues, some candidates innocently found themselves in some centres that colluded with candidates to cheat in the examination.

“In such cases, it will be wrong to cancel the entire results of the candidates. All such innocent candidates will be singled out and be given the opportunity of re-taking the exam.

“As a responsive organisation, we will continue to ensure that every candidate is given a right to access higher education,” Mr Benjamin said.

The JAMB spokesman promised that the board would continue to deploy cutting edge technology in the conduct of its examinations in a bid to protect the integrity of its tests.

Parents Aiding Examination Fraud- JAMB

Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), on Wednesday said parents of candidates sitting for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination are the ones responsible for the malpractice of their candidates.

The Registrar made this known during a meeting with the Presidential Advisory Committee against Corruption in Abuja describing the situation as alarming. He said it was degrading the extent parents would go to ensure that their children get admissions at all cost, irrespective of the consequences involved. Oloyede pointed out that the situation has continued to give the board consistent concern.

”The greatest problem we have is with the parents, I do not have problems with the candidates. But the parents have gone haywire.

”They compromise the process because while the students are writing the examinations, you see some of the parents seeking for any assistance that can be given to make their children pass.”

Oloyede recalled that during the 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Board Examinations (UTME), some parents of candidates who were caught for engaging in malpractices did not play the proper parental role.

According to him, while one mother requested that her daughter’s mark be automatically increased because a Test Centre operator tried to molest her, another mother pushed her eldest son to write the examination for the younger one.

“Some parents go as far as paying huge sums of money into fraudulent accounts online to upgrade their children’s results.

”We have advertised recently, that anybody who pays into such accounts would be tracked and disqualified because these fraudsters openly advertise that if you want help on JAMB pay into certain accounts.

”Parents are paying into these accounts but we have involved the Department of State Services and the Police and some of them have been arrested already.”

The act, he said, has continued to give the board a second view of what transpires outside its domain, through which it is able to monitor the illegal operations.

Oloyede reiterated that the board would continue to give its best in ensuring that its credibility is sustained, despite the challenges at hand.

Speaking on the issue of cut off mark, the Registrar explained that it is necessary to understand that it is the point that allows you to know at what point you are not allowed “into the basket.”

He further explained that the cut off point goes beyond attaining just the UTME scores but includes all the requirements of the admission process.

He explained this varies from one institution to another, adding that people must erase from their minds, the perception that the higher a cut off mark of an institution, the more credible the institution is.

Oloyede said that it was the duty of the board to ensure that it supervises and guarantees that no one is surcharged.

”The Law that established JAMB makes it clear that JAMB will admit in conjunction with the institutions.

According to the registrar, there are 25 countries with similar bodies like JAMB in the world and what they do is conduct the examinations and make the results available to the institutions.

”At what point the institutions intend to cut off is at their discretion.”

Earlier, the Chairman of the Committee, Prof. Itse Sagay, said that the purpose of the visit by the Committee was to learn more about how the board has managed its success and challenges, especially on the issue of results and admissions.

Other issues, he said that need attention were those of the cut off marks for admissions as well factors militating against the progress of the system.

Sagay also said that the committee was there to get an update on the issue of JAMB staff who allegedly looted the board’s funds and steps being taken by the board to bring them to book.

Over 15 members of staff of the board and members of the Presidential Committee attended the meeting.

 

Nigerians React To Conduct, Delay Of 2018 UTME Results

Nigerians have expressed diverse reactions to the just concluded 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, organized by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB.

While some expressed satisfaction with this year’s results and organization of the examination, others believe the Professor Ishaq Oloyede-led examination board still has a long way to go in achieving perfection.

The Registrar, had earlier declared that there will be no rescheduling of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, for any student like it did last year.

Here are reactions from some social media users:

@Bashy: I’m not very impressed with the current pattern. But I believe JAMB can do better.

@Mr_Ray: JAMB didn’t do badly just that people are yet to get used to the current way they introduced. The results I’m seeing are not bad too.

@Me_life: I won’t rush into conclusion. I have to see my result.

@ Neyoprince: I’m so happy with what I’m seeing this evening. The results that I’ve seen so far is really impressive!

@Ebige434: Jamb is more difficult now compared to what my brothers had before. I mean the pattern. Well I know I won’t fail.

@Pokkamessiah: I advise all to start checking inside their profiles.

@Yinkuslala Attention! JAMB has not released any result as at 2:20pm on Monday.

@Josh_me: This year’s JAMB is really well organised for me, I don’t know for others.

@Fine_lofa: Truly I’m disappointed. Since last week, my brother hasn’t seen his result, JAMB can do better.

@Moisee: Lets keep praying for better organization from JAMB.

JAMB Declares Bio-metrics Compulsory

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board says any candidate that cannot be identified through biometrics will be barred from writing the ongoing Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination.

The board’s Head, Media and Information Department, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Lagos.

Benjamin spoke against the backdrop of some reported cases in some centres where some candidates could not be identified through JAMB’s electronic system.

NAN reports that the 2018 UTME which commenced on Friday, March 9, in 605 centres nationwide, ends on March 17.

“We want to clearly state here that any candidate who cannot be identified using biometrics will not be allowed to sit for this examination.

“So far, over 450,000 candidates have sat for the examination and we have had reported cases where some of the candidates could not be identified as they placed their fingers on the machines for identification.

“Candidates sitting for this examination are not to be identified by mere registration numbers or names, but through the machines.

“We know that at the point of registration for this examination, candidates’ details were captured with live photographs as well as their fingerprints.

“So, while going for the examination, it is only expected that candidates should be screened and identified using biometrics.

“This method should be able to call up candidates’ identity and so, there is no way a candidate will just come and mention his name and registration number and be allowed in without going through the right process,” he told NAN.

Benjamin said the measure was to ensure the eligibility of candidates and reduce cases of impersonation.

According to him, the board’s personnel are fully on ground to ensure a smooth conduct of the examination and attend to any technical hitch in all the centres.

The JAMB spokesman said: “We also assure the remaining candidates of this ongoing examination that they have nothing to fear as we have ensured that the cables, systems and backups in the various centres are fully operational and hitch-free.

“So far, we are happy with the way the conduct of the examination has gone nationwide and we are hopeful that it is going to get better while it lasts.

“We remain committed to ensuring that the future of the Nigerian child is secure and we have put all logistics in place to ensure that this year’s exam turns out one of the best ever conducted in recent times.” (NAN)

Osun, Others Top JAMB Enrolment List

By Sola Jacobs

The dividend of qualitative education has starts paying up in the state of Osun as Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) declared that applicants from the state came third in the 36 states of the federation, applying for 2018 United Tertiary Matriculation Board (UTME).

According to the JAMB Registrar, Prof Ishaq Oloyede, applicants from Osun are 86,044, while Imo top the list and Oyo being the second on the UTME candidates’ lists.

He stated further that the total number of candidates that applied for the UTME is above 1.6 million with 376 virtually impaired who would as well sit for the examination.

Prof Oloyede added that there is decline in the purchase of the UTME form this year to the tune of 55,642 (3.2 per cent when compared to the 1.7 million applications it received in 2017.

It was also gathered that Sokoto, Zamfara and federal capital territory had the least applicants with 13,456, 10,077 and 6,148 candidates respectively.

It will be recalled that the government of Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola led administration has prioritised education through provision of unique educational infrastructure and better welfare package for teachers and students across the state which has in turn revolutionise education sector in the state.

JAMB Examinations To Begin March 9th

Following mock exams made available for participants barely two weeks ago, JAMB exams are set to begin on Friday, March 9th, 2018.

This was revealed by the board’s Head of Media and Information Department, Dr Fabian Benjamin, on Sunday was insistent that the exams will go on as planned.

While announcing that candidates for the 2018 UTME can start printing their examination notification slip from Tuesday, March 6, he said: “Candidates can now go ahead and print their examination notification slips from Tuesday.

“These candidates must ensure that these slips are printed before Friday, March 9 in order to farmiliarise themselves with the examination schedules as no form of excuse for missing the examination will be entertained.

“We want to warn that the board will not reschedule any examination for anybody and so any candidate that fails to adhere strictly to the examination schedule as stated in their slips should have himself or herself to blame.”

There has been pressure on the board to move the dates of the examinations.

Some of the protesting candidates said many of them who had hoped to be admitted by various institutions during the 2017/2018 academic calendar year, just found out this week that they were not admitted and that less than one month cannot be enough to prepare for another examination.

 

JAMB Releases Mock UTME Result

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) on Thursday released the results of the just-conducted Mock Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

The board’s Head, Media and Information, Dr Fabian Benjamin, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen on Thursday in Lagos.

According to him, candidates are to check their results on line by visiting www.jamb .org.ng with their registration numbers.

Benjamin described the conduct of the examination nationwide as hitch-free.

NAN reports that a total of 245,753 candidates registered for the mock examination which took place on Monday.

Mock UTME is optional for UTME candidates.

The main UTME is expected to hold from March 9 to March 17.

 

JAMB Releases List Of Contraband Items Ahead Of 2018 Examinations

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB has released a list of over 15r contraband items for participants of the 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, slated to hold between March 6 and 17.

The items include;

Wrist watches,
Pen/biro,
Mobile phones or similar electronic devices,

Spy reading glasses which should be scrutinised,

Calculators or similar electronic devices,

USB,

CD, hard disks and/or similar storage devices.

Reading/writing material,

Cameras,

Recorders,

Microphones,

Ear pieces,

Ink/pen readers,

smart lenses,

Smart rings/jewellery,

Smart buttons

Bluetooth devices.

2018 UTME MOCK: JAMB Bans Pens, Wristwatches, ‘Suspicious’ Eye Gasses

The use of 16 items  in the forth coming examinations scheduled for February 26, 2018 has been banned by the Joint Admission Matriculation Board.

The Secretary of JAMB UTME Monitoring Groups, Ngozi Egbuna, stated the items in a memo issued to members of the Civil Society Group on Thursday.

The memo reads: “Kindly note that examination officials are allowed to scrutinise eye glasses or similar devices and where convinced that such item may compromise the sanctity of the examination, the examination official should confiscate it’’.

“Where examination official (board staff or ad hoc staff) or any authorised person is found with any of these prohibited items in the examination hall, such compromising action would be treated as a deliberate act of examination sabotage and necessary sanction will be applied.”

The CSG is one of the groups inaugurated by JAMB Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, to assist in monitoring the UTME.

Last year, the groups were reputed to have assisted in giving information from the field and transmitted several challenges, as applicable, to JAMB officials.

Through the JAMB UTME Monitoring Groups, examination malpractices were said to have reduced in 2017.

The prohibited items are wrist watches, pen/biro, mobile phones or similar electronic devices, spy reading glasses which should be scrutinised, calculators or similar electronic devices, USB, CD, hard disks and/or similar storage devices.

Others are books or any reading/writing material, cameras, recorders, microphones, ear pieces, ink/pen readers, smart lenses, smart rings/jewellery, smart buttons and Bluetooth devices.

JAMB Mailing Of Mock Examination Slips For 2018 Begins

JAMB Mock Examination Slips for 2018 are now being distributed via Email by the board. According to reports, those who registered for 2018 UTME and selected to write the Mock Exam, using their correct email addresses should get it delivered to them in the coming days.

JAMB had slated the Mock Exam to hold on Monday, 26th Feb, 2018, while the Main UTME is expected to begin as from 9th March, 2018.

Those who indicated interest to write the Mock, and are yet to receive any email from JAMB can try login into their JAMB profile online to see if access has been granted to them to print the slip. If you have been granted access, please come back here and share with others, so you can guide us.

If you did not indicate interest to write the Mock Exam, you should not worry. Myschool will create a LIVE Mock Exam thread, where you can follow all the event on the Mock Exam Day. It would seem as if you actually went for the exam, as students will be reporting issues happening Nationwide.