Kidnapped Member Of Taraba State House Of Assembly Found Dead

The Taraba state police command has confirmed the death of kidnapped member of the Taraba State House of Assembly, Hosea Ibi, representing Takum I constituency.

This was revealed by the Police spokesman in the state, David Misal, who said the body of the lawmaker was found at Kwari, along Takum-Kashimbilla road.

He said: “Yes, it has been confirmed, the body was found this afternoon at Kwari, along Takum -Kashimbilla road.”

Ibi was kidnapped on December 30 last year, in Takum when he went home for Christmas celebration. Eyewitnesses said he was whisked away at gunpoint by his abductors, who were on riding a motorcycle.

Taraba State governor, Darius Ishaku, said he has been devastated by the death. “My heart has been broken,” he said.

Ibi’s colleague, Mark Useni, a former Speaker and member now representing Takum II, described Ibi’s death as shocking.

Useni noted that the people of Takum who were eagerly waiting for his release have been thrown into mourning this afternoon. “It’s a very sad news to the people of Takum and the entire state,” he said.

 

Two Thieves Nabbed Within A Day In Osun Community

By Nofisat Marindoti

Two different gangs of thieves have been arrested between the evening of yesterday (Monday) and the early hours of today (Tuesday) around Oke-baale community in the State of Osun.

While the first suspect was nabbed while trying to steal a phone by students of the Osun State University, UNIOSUN, in the area, the second suspect was arrested by security guards.

The second suspect was caught while trying to steal a generator set from a shop.

The thieves were later handed over to the police for prosecution.

According to an eye witness who spoke under anonymity, “The thief caught this morning was trying to steal generator from one of the shops in the market. They were four but the other three were quick to escape. This is just few hours after a young man was caught trying to steal a phone by some students. It is all worrisome but it is good to know thieves are not welcome here, i commend our ever active students and security guards.”

Another residents, also expressed happiness at the failed attempts of the thieves, saying security and protection of lives and property has improved under the current administration.

California Couple Arrested For Torturing 13 Children

A couple in California, United States, 57-year-old David Allen Turpin and 49-year-old Louise Anna Turpin has been arrested on charges of torturing 13 children and holding them captive for years.

The 13 children were found malnourished, with some shackled to beds in the dark. Authorities said they were alerted after a 17-year-old girl managed to escape the house on Sunday and call police using a cellphone she found.

The 13 victims at the house in Perris, California ranged in age from two to 29, the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement.

“Further investigation revealed several children shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks in dark and foul-smelling surroundings, but the parents were unable to immediately provide a logical reason why their children were restrained in that manner,” the statement said.

“Deputies located what they believed to be 12 children inside the house, but were shocked to discover that seven of them were actually adults, ranging in age from 18 to 29. The victims appeared to be malnourished and very dirty.”

After the shocking discovery, the parents were booked on torture and child endangerment charges with bail set at $9 million.

The Spanish-style stucco house where the victims were allegedly held is located in a middle class neighborhood of Perris, a small city some 70 miles (110 kilometers) southeast of Los Angeles.

The home boasted three cars as well as a van with tinted windows. One of the cars, a blue compact, had a child’s seat in the back.

There are indications that the children were allowed outside the house in recent years. A Facebook page under the name of David-Louise Turpin includes pictures of the couple attending various marriage or exchange of vows ceremonies from 2011 to 2016 with their children present.

In the latest set, uploaded in April-July 2016, Louise Turpin wears a long white wedding gown while her husband is dressed in a suit.

An Elvis Presley impersonator holds a microphone and poses with the couple and children in a scene reminiscent of a Las Vegas wedding.

Nine girls, all with long dark hair, wear matching fuchsia dresses with white tights, while a baby girl is dressed in a bright pink dress.

Three boys, their dark hair in bowl cuts like David Turpin, are dressed in suits with red ties.

An April 2016 photograph shows the same smiling children and the couple wearing jeans and red t-shirts that read “Thing 1,” “Thing 2,” “Thing 3” and so on — a take on the mischievous siblings in the popular Dr Seuss book “The Cat in the Hat.”

Some of the children look gaunt, but not obviously so.

In another September 2015 photograph, Louise Turpin holds a baby wearing a t-shirt reading “Mommy loves me.”

Neighbor Jamelia Adams, 39, expressed shock.

“It’s just really, really sad. There’s places that kids can go if you don’t want your kids, if you can’t take care of them, and here’s a beautiful neighborhood, brand new housing track, newer cars in the yard, and here’s some kids from 29 to two that was just held captive and malnourished and filthy. It’s just heartbreaking,” Adams told AFP.

Another neighbor, Julio Reyes, 38, said: “We’ve seen a couple of teenagers maybe last year mowing the lawn, and you know they put some Christmas decorations. Never really thought anything of any sort would happen like that.”

US media reported that the parents had previously filed for bankruptcy.

David Turpin is registered in state records as head of a private school, but its address matches that of the Turpins’ home.

The school opened in March 2011 and only has six students according to the latest state education department data.

The Los Angeles Times said the couple had lived at the Perris house since 2010, after a move from Texas, adding they went bankrupt twice.

According to court papers when they filed for bankruptcy in 2011, the couple said they accrued between $100,000 and $500,000 in debt opening the school, The New York Times said.

The paper said the same year David Turpin was working as an engineer for defense contractor Northrop Grumman, earning $140,000 a year, while his wife was listed as a homemaker.

 

Man Arrested For Raping Five Year-Old

The Niger State Police Command has arrested a 20 – year – old man, Abdullateef Ibrahim, for raping a five- year – old girl.

Ibrahim confessed to the crime during investigation, pleading for forgiveness and confessing that he started raping children after his girlfriend left him.

He said, “Since my girlfriend left, I have been in the act and I enjoyed doing it, but at times I will ask myself ‘why am I into this mess and the urge still continues?’. It is quite unfortunate that I found myself in this hopeless predicament.” He begged for forgiveness and advised other youths to shun “ the wicked act that may mar their future. ”

The State Police Public Relations Officer, Muhammad Abubakar , said the victim had been taken to the General Hospital, Magama, for treatment. It was learnt that the victim was running an errand for her mother when Ibrahim dragged her to an isolated area in the bush and had sex with her.

It was gathered that the suspect had been involved in the heinous act for over two years before he was eventually arrested by police operatives. Ibrahim revealed that he had forcefully had carnal knowledge of more than six underage girls in the community. .

 

 

Nigerian Teenager Stabbed To Death In London

A murder investigation has been launched after a Nigerian teenager, Oluwadamilola Odeyingbo was stabbed and died from his injuries in Chislehurst, South east London.

Oluwadamilola who was 18 years old, died on Wednesday, January 10, of injuries he received during a reported fight in Empress Drive just after 9pm the previous evening.

Police were called on Tuesday, 9 January to reports of a fight on Empress Drive. Officers attended to the victim. He was taken by the London Ambulance Service to a south a London Hospital where he passed away.

A post-mortem examination began on Friday, January 12, but has not been finished.

As part of the investigation, an 18-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder on Wednesday, and has been bailed until early February.

Police are appealing for information. Detective Chief Inspector Tim Wright said:

“We understand that neighbours and people passing through the area witnessed the incident on Tuesday evening. We are keen to speak to all witnesses and would encourage them to come forward as soon as possible. A young man has lost his life and we are doing everything we can to piece together what took place.”

According to Twitter user, Femo, his aunt,  the boy’s mother had left Nigeria to the UK to get a better life.

“My aunt traveled to the UK to get a better life Then some idiots went to stab my cousin and killed him God nawa to you o I know Twitter is a strong place and I know if y’all rt this someone would come forward and say something There were witnesses” he wrote

 

Court Remands Husband In Prison For Battering Wife

By Nofisat Marindoti

A 47-year old housewife, Olagunju Temitayo, has dragged her husband, Hammed Abiodun aged 45, before a Magistrate Court sitting in Osogbo, State of Osun capital, over alleged battering.

Prosecutor, Fagboyinbo Abiodun told the court that the accused assaulted Temitope by beating her on 13th of January, 2018 around Dada Estate area in Osogbo where she sustained varying degrees of injury.

Abiodun said the offense contravened section 355 of the Criminal Code Cap 34, volume II, Laws of Osun State of Nigeria 2003.

Temitayo who was also in court, showed her roughly scarred body to the Magistrate, saying that she had left her husband’s house in March last year when the battering became unbearable.

The mother of two added that the accused had come to her new house on the said day and had dragged her down from a moving motorcycle before pouncing on her.

When his charge was read to him, Abiodun pleaded guilty of the offence, saying he only wanted to beg his wife to come back home on the fateful day before he eventually had to beat her again.

In his ruling, Magistrate Mary Awodele remanded the accused in Ilesa prison custody and adjourned the case till February 6, 2018 for sentencing.

She also ordered that the accused person’s relatives appear before the court on the adjourned date.

Police Dock Osun High Chief Over Alleged Threat To Life, Damage Of 1bn Farm Land, Tractors

By Nofisat Marindoti

The Osun State Police Command has arraigned an 82 year old High Chief, Dele Faseru before an Osogbo Magistrate Court for allegedly damaging a farm settlement and equipment worth over N1 billion.

Other suspects arraigned along with the Octogenarian include; Chief Mrs. Ayoade Funke (64), Ayoade Adewoye (35) and Isaac Wole Ejalonibu (41).

The suspects were charged on a four-count charge bothering on conspiracy, felony to wit arson, malicious damage and threat to life.

They were also alleged to have threatened to kill the owner of the farm settlement, retired Major Lawrence Loye.

Prosecutor, Adebayo Joseph told the court that the suspects and others who are currently at large, conspired among themselves to commit felony to wit arson, malicious damage and threatening to life on February 19, 2017 at Ijebu-Ijesa, Ori-Ade Local Government Area of the state

Adebayo said the accused persons willfully and unlawfully set ablaze the farm settlement and ravaged all the farm produce such as palm trees, plantains and others crops belonging to (Rtd) Major Lawrence Loye.

Other valuables allegedly destroyed by the suspects according to the Prosecutor are one complete building with 24 lecture rooms, transformer 500/33KVA, Tractor (Messy Fegureon), 720 bags of cements, caterpillars pail loader, 12, 800 Plantain/Banana Stands and Over 8000 Pineapple stand and entrance Gate.

He said the total value of the damaged properties worth one billion and fifty nine million naira N1,059,000.

Adebayo also accused the suspects of intimidating and threatening to kill the Rtd Major Loye the owner of the farm. He alleged that the suspects stormed his house with dangerous weapons such as sticks, cutlasses and other threatening to kill him.

The offence according to the Prosecutor was contrary to and punishable under Section 516, 443, 451and 86(1)(2) of the Criminal Code Cap 34 Vol. 11 Laws of Osun state of Nigeria 2002.

But the accused persons pleaded not guilty to all the allegations leveled against them.

The defense counsel, Barrister Dada Adeyinka applied for the bail of the accused persons in the most liberal terms.

Adeyinka who assured the court that the suspects would not jump bail if granted, said reliable sureties would stand for them.

But the Prosecutor objected the bail application on the ground that the suspects have similar case before an Ilesa Magistrate Court.

He argued that should the suspects granted bail they are likely to commit another offence. He also urged the court to put into consideration the money involved in the case

In her ruling, Magistrate Olubukola Awodele, granted all the four accused persons bail in the sum of one million naira each with two sureties in the like sum.

Awodele explained that she granted the accused bail due to the age of the first and second accused persons.

She thereby adjourned the case till January 31, 2018 for mention at the Ijebu Ijesha Chief Magistrate Court.

59 Arrested In Connection With Resent Cult-Related

At least 59 people have been arrested by the Benue Police command in connection with the recent cult-related crises in some parts of Makurdi, the state capital which left scores wounded and property worth millions of Naira destroyed.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, ASP Moses Yamu, made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Makurdi.

He said that the command had already deployed additional personnel to the affected parts of the town to restore peace and and order as well as to check the spread of the crisis.

The PPRO said the arrested suspects would be charged to court as soon as investigations were concluded. He advised Makurdi residents not to panic as security operatives were in control of the situation.

Gov. Samuel Ortom, had on Sunday during an emergency stakeholders meeting in Makurdi, appealed to parents and guardians, to advise their children and wards against involvement in cult activities.

He warned that his administration would neither condone cult activities nor spare anyone culpable of the act.

 

Man Appears In Court For Attacking Policeman, IBEDC Staff

A middle aged man, Abdulwahabi Olalekan has been arraigned before an Osogbo Chief Magistrate court for attacking one Abioye Hammed, a policeman and one John Anthony.

Details as contained in the charge sheet of the accused person, revealed that Abdulwahabi conspired with one other person still at large attacked John and inflicted bodily injury on him.

According to the charge sheet, the suspect committed the offence behind Ota Efun motor park, Osogbo

Addressing the court, the prosecutor, Sergeant Badmus Adekunle, added that the accused persons and his accomplice also attacked a policeman, Abioye with sharp objects.

The offence committed was contrary to and publishable under section 512 of the criminal code, cap 34 vol. II, laws of Osun state.

After listening to the three-counts charge pressed against him, Abdulwahabi pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Appearing for the accused person, Barrister Mufutau Abiodun, applied for bail of his client, saying he would present credible surety if the need arises.

Ruling on the bail application, Magistrate Habibat Basiru admitted the suspect to bail in the sum of N200, 000 and one surety, who must submit two passport photographs to court.

She subsequently adjourned the matter to February 21, 2018 for hearing.

Speaking to newsmen after the court session, the Osogbo Regional Branding and Communication Officer of Ibadan Electricity District Company (IBEDC), Kike Owoeye said one of the two persons attacked is a staff of the company, that discovered that the accused person was consuming energy supplied by the Electricity District illegally.

She said: “John Anthony is IBEDC staff who was attacked by the accused person when he was caught engaging in by-passing. This is a wrong way to approach issues, even if a customer is having any issue with our staff they should report to our office instead of resulting to assault which is unlawful.

“According to the government policy, whoever is caught by-passing will pay a fine of N 450,000. We want to appeal to the general populace to desist from by-passing, energy theft, illegal connection and vandalism as they are all economic sabotage.

“Whoever that has a complaint should explore all our complaint channels instead of assaulting IBEDC staff while discharging their lawful duties.”

Man Jailed 3 Years Over Burglary, Theft

By Nofisat Marindoti

A 21-year old man, Kolawole Opeyemi has been sentenced to three years imprisonment by a Magistrates Court in Osogbo, State of Osun capital, over burglary and theft.

Opeyemi was said to have entered the house of one Azeez Waheed and one Adedeji Ridwan on the 31st of December, 2017 at Oke-baale area in Osogbo.

Prosecutor, Mustapha Tajudeen said the accused carted away one Black Berry phone valued N15,000, one Android phone valued at N18,000, one Infinix phone valued N36,000 and one power back valued N6,000.

Tajudeen added that the offences are contrary to and punishable under sections 383(1),390(9),411(1)(2) and 516 of the Criminal Code Cap 34, vol. II, Laws of Osun State of Nigeria 2002.

When his charges were read to him, Opeyemi pleaded guilty of the offences leveled against him and his counsel, Barrister Okobe Najite prayed the court to temper justice with mercy.

In his ruling, Magistrate Fatimo Sodamade sentenced the accused to the three imprisonment without a fine option.

Court Remands Man Over N166M Fraud

By Oluwapelumi Fasoyin

A 35-year old Adeyemi Ajiboye has been remanded in Ilesha prison custody by an Osogbo Magistrate court over fraudulent activities.

The charge sheet disclosed that the accused person obtained the sum of N166,410,000 from one Azeez Razaq and others that he would use the money to invest into palm kernel which he (suspect) knew to be false, thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under section 419 of the criminal code law of Osun State 2003.

It further disclosed that the accused person fraudulently stole and converted the property of Azeez Razaq that worth N166,410,000 to his own use and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under section 390(9) of the state penal code.

The accused person committed the offence sometimes in November 2017 at Osogbo.

The suspect pleaded not guilty to the two count charge leveled against him.

His defense counsel, prayed the court to grant his client bail in the most liberal terms in accordance with the 1999 constitution of the Federal Constitution of Nigeria.

The police prosecutor, opposed the bail application of the accused person, saying over 50 petitions have been written against him concerning the issue of fraud.

He also argued that the accused is a serial bail non-compliant.

The presiding Magistrate, Aisha Oloyade remanded the suspect in Ilesha prison custody till the next day of hearing.