An Osun State High Court sitting in Ede has restrained the state government from the processes for the installation of one Jelili Oyedokun from Ogunwale Ruling House as the new Alaro of Aro in Egbedore Local Government Council of the state.
The court presided over by Justice A. O Oyebiyi in a ruling delivered on May 3rd 2018 said the processes should be stopped pending the determination of the suit filed by Prince Olakunle Ojo from Ojo/Lawani branch of Farinu ruling House before the court.
In an ex parte motion by Prince Olakunle Ojo on behalf of the Ojo/Lawani ruling family, the plaintiff prayed the court to order the Osun Government to maintain the status quo pending the hearing and determination of the suit.
In its ruling, the court granted an interim injunction restraining the state government from installing Jelili Oyedokun as the new Alaro.
The Judge said: “Having listened to both parties and especially the information released by the state counsel representing the state government that the government had already approved the appointment of Jelili Oyedokun and that it only awaits the installation, the state government should not proceed on the installation”.
It would be recalled that the stool of Alaro became vacant following the demise of the late Alaro in 2015 and since then, there have been contests on who to ascend the throne among the princes within the royal family.
In the motion ex-parte, Ojo through his lawyer, Mr B Siyanbola accused Oyedokun of conniving with the state government to ascend the throne through the backdoor.
According to him, the Farinu ruling house was to produce the new Alaro and out of three branches of the ruling house, two had reigned (Odefenwa and Ogunwale) leaving Ojo/Lawani.
He further explained that an enquiry was conducted by the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, between March 19, 2017 and April 3, 2018 which he said further confirmed the legitimacy of Ojo/Lawani to the throne. He however alleged Oyedokun of political manipulation.
The Judge thereafter, adjourned the case till May 30, 2018 for hearing.