Amosun Confirms Death At Ogun Mall Collapse, Takes Responsibility

Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State says he accepts responsibility for the collapse of a state-owned shopping mall on Friday, after confirming on person was killed.

The building, which was under construction at Itoku market, Abeokuta, the state capital, collapsed early Friday, trapping construction workers.

The government initially said no death was confirmed as all workers had been accounted for.

Mr. Amosun told journalists on Saturday that one person died and others injured. He said the government would investigate the cause of the collapse.

“I take full responsibility of what happened here, not even the Commissioner for Works can take the responsibility because when the glory comes we share it together, but if anything goes wrong, I take the blame, so I take full responsibility, but we are going to get to the root of the matter,” he said.

“As early as 9 o’clock in the morning, the workers were here as always, 16 all together as we were told and a little minutes after 9am we have this partial collapse of this building. Out of those 16, eight came out immediately the building collapsed and the remaining 8 they were hurriedly taken to the hospital, one unfortunately died on the way to the hospital, two were discharged immediately because they sustained minor injuries. The remaining five are still at the hospital, they also sustained minor injuries,” he added.

The governor said the government had contacted the family of the deceased.

He said his administration would test the structural properties of other buildings in the state.

(Premium Times)

Lagos To Conduct Tests On Lekki Gardens Buildings, As Ambode Orders Demolition Of Defective Ones

Akinwunmi Ambode, governor of Lagos state, has directed the conduct of stability test on all buildings constructed by Lekki Gardens to ascertain their structural integrity, saying that any building found to be defective will be demolished.

According to Habib Aruna, the governor’s chief press secretary, Ambode gave the order after inspecting the site of the collapsed building, which killed 34 persons.

He quoted the governor as saying Lekki Gardens will be responsible for the cost of the tests.

“The state government will undertake a stability test on all other buildings constructed by the developer in the state, whether occupied or not, to ascertain their structural stability,” Aruna said in a statement.

“The developer will pay the cost of the tests. Any building found to be defective would be demolished. For those that pass the integrity test the developer will pay a penalty for any over-development on the site.”

Aruna said the governor is unhappy about the spate of building collapse, and commiserated with families of the victims of the latest incident.

“Since the unfortunate incident the state government has taken several steps to stem the tide of building collapse,” the statement read.

“Governor Ambode, who commiserated with those who suffered loss and injury as a result of the building collapse, said since the incident, the state government has ordered the immediate sealing of the construction site and cessation of further construction, coordinated emergency rescue of all injured victims and treatment at its hospitals, prosecution of owners of the collapsed building as well as dismissal of some government officials.

“The government, going forward, will carry out an audit of all structures in the state to ascertain those with planning approval or not and evaluate the physical development against the approved building plans, saying that details of the plan will be made public soon.”

Wasiu Anifowose, commissioner for physical planning and urban development, advised occupiers of Lekki Gardens structures to vacate the buildings immediately.

Anifowose said the site of the collapsed structure had been condoned off and that government would take appropriate steps after the conclusion of investigation by the police.

“In the best interest of the occupiers of the other structures, their lives are very important to us as a government and we are appealing to them to vacate the buildings immediately until investigations are completed,” he said.

“The gentleman behind Lekki Gardens got approval for ground, first, second and third floors, but after doing the roofing, he removed it and added additional two floors which caused the building to collapse. So, we have to carry out integrity test on the other structures and the cost implication for present occupiers of the other structures to vacate the buildings would be borne by the developer.”

Lagos Govt Only Approved 4 Floors At The Lekki Collapsed Building

…Death toll climbs to 35

The Lagos State Government says it only approved the construction of four floors for the five-storey collapsed building in Lekki in which 34 people were killed.

This was disclosed by the Commissioner for Home Affairs, Alhaji Abdullateef Abdulhakeem, when he received the leadership of the Nasrul-Lahi-L-Fatih Society, NASFAT, in Alausa, Lagos, southwest Nigeria, on Thursday.

Abdulhakeem said the state government approved four floors for the developer, Lekki Worldwide Estate Limited, in the development of the Lekki Garden Construction, but lamented that the developer decided to add a fifth floor, which led to the collapse.

According to the commissioner, the developers of the building had criminal minds by adding another floor in the quest for materialism and flagrantly flouted the town planning laws of Lagos State.

He charged religious leaders in the state to preach against materialism from the pulpit and also disregard the lust for material things, adding that religious leaders must stop receiving money from people in order to tell them fables.

Abdulhakeem said as change agents, religious leaders should enlighten the society, especially their members to do what is right as they would prefer to listen to them than the government.

He described the Mile 12 crisis as unfortunate as religion and ethnicity were brought into the fore, charging pastors and imams to preach religious and ethnic tolerance in their sermons.

“We are all from the same source, brothers and sisters. We are all from Adam as we came into existence through him. We need to play a part so that religion and ethnicity will not be brought to the fore in Lagos. Nigeria is a marriage ordained by God and we must learn to live together,” he said

The commissioner further charged religious leaders to focus on preaching issues of security and safety from their pulpit, saying that the state government had been very proactive in the area of security, citing the quick rescue of the kidnapped schoolgirls in Ikorodu as an example of government’s security proactiveness.

Chief Missioner, NASFAT, Alhaji Abdullahi Akinbode, appealed to the state government for financial support for its programmes, as the body had been struggling financially to meet the demands of serving God properly.

He said when it comes to donation of money, the Muslim population were too stingy to donate for the things of God, while pledging to assist the state government in propagating religious harmony in the state.

Lekki Collapsed Building

Meanwhile, sixteen more bodies were yesterday retrieved from the collapsed five-storey building in Ikate, Lekki, Lagos, bringing the death toll to 35. Thirteen were rescued.

One of the survivors taken from the rubble died at the Lagos Island General Hospital;  18 bodies were pulled out before rescuers left the site on Tuesday.

National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Southwest spokesman Ibrahim Farinloye, in a message at about 7.30pm, said: “Operations concluded at 7.20pm with 34 dead and 13 rescued after reaching ground zero.

“Investigation on the cause of the collapse has started by various federal and state agencies.”

Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) boss Michael Akindele said 95 per cent of the victims were foreigners.

He said: “As we speak now, the time is 7:20pm. Search and rescue exercise on the collapsed five-storey building of 12 blocks of flats is hereby concluded and the physical record we have is 13 lives rescued and 34 bodies.

“We had full complement of all responders on board to ensure smooth response and recovery. It is a sad story; but notwithstanding, our job as responders is to ensure that we mitigate such that all necessary actions are taken.

Akinwumi Ambode

“The greatest challenge we had was on Tuesday and it was because the families of the deceased and those rescued, 95 per cent of them are non-Nigerians.

“We have people from the North and East, but majority of those we saw in this complex were not Nigerians. Some are Togolese and others Beninoise. The state government will address the public on the situation of the foreign victims.

“Today (Wednesday), we had a very smooth operation. I must commend the police, RRS, Civil Defence, Red Cross, NEMA, LASAMBUS and all others for a diligent job.”

NEMA Southwest coordinator Yakubu Sulaimon said rescuers were initially denied access on Tuesday morning but security operatives brought the situation under control.

“We do not have a list of occupants in the building. The state government will take appropriate action on the other buildings marked,” he said.