Lone Chibok Girl Escapes Boko Haram

A schoolgirl who was abducted by Nigeria’s militant Islamists in 2014 has escaped from captivity, a presidential aide has told the BBC.

The girl was found by government troops while she was escaping, Femi Adesina said, without giving details.

She was among 276 girls seized by Boko Haram from north-eastern Chibok town in 2014, sparking global outrage.

A total of 103 of the girls have been released so far, including 82 earlier this month in a prisoner swap.

The 82 girls, who met Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari on 7 May, are expected to be reunited with their families later this week.

The number of Boko Haram suspects released by the authorities in exchange for the girls remains unknown.
Last month, President Buhari said the government remained “in constant touch through negotiations, through local intelligence, to secure the release of the remaining girls and other abducted persons unharmed”.

BBC

Buhari Promises To Seek Release Of All Chibok Girls

As Nigeria marks the third anniversary of the abduction of 276 Chibok schoolgirls, President Muhammadu Buhari has said government was willing to bend over backwards to secure the release of the remaining girls.

In a message to mark the anniversary coming up on Friday, Buhari said that government had reached out to their captors, through local and international intermediaries.

The government was ever ready to do everything within its means to ensure the safe release of all the girls, Buhari said on Thursday in Abuja.

About 276 girls were abducted by the terrorists on April 14, 2014 at the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, by Boko Haram.

No fewer than 50 of the girls escaped from their captors and 24 were released after negotiation by the government with the aid of International Red Cross and Swedish government.

“We have had reason to celebrate the return of twenty-four of them and thousands of other Nigerians who were forcibly abducted by the terrorists.

“I wish to reassure the parents of the Chibok girls, all well-meaning Nigerians, organisations and the international community that as a government, we are unrelenting on the issue of the safe return of our children.

“I trust God that soon, our collective efforts will be rewarded with the safe return of our schoolgirls to their families, friends and their communities,’’ Buhari said.

He sent his appreciation to the parents and families that have endured three years of agony and waiting for the return of their children.

“I feel what you feel. Your children are my children. On this solemn occasion, my appeal is that we must not lose hope on the return of our remaining schoolgirls.’’

As a parent, he said that he was eternally grateful to God that some of the girls were found alive and have been reunited with their families.

“Government is doing all within its powers to reintegrate the freed girls to normal life. Furthermore, Government is in constant touch through negotiations, through local intelligence to secure the release of the remaining girls and other abducted persons unharmed.’’

The President said that Nigeria’s intelligence and security forces demonstrated their competence and were equal to the task and absolutely committed to the efforts to find and return the schoolgirls and others abducted by Boko Haram.

The abduction, he said, was one of the worst crimes committed against Nigeria.

“Upon the inception of this administration in May 2015, it will be recalled that this militant group occupied no fewer than 14 Local Government Areas in the North East of the country and posed a serious threat to other parts by unleashing fear and mayhem through the use of surprise and suicide bombing.

“The menace of this terrorist group was a great challenge to the resolve of our administration to implement the Change Agenda.

“We, therefore, pledged to reverse the situation, which constituted a threat to the sovereignty of the country.’’

The government, he explained, was determined to secure the release of the Chibok girls and others forcefully abducted from their homes and communities and retake the occupied territories.

The administration gave the necessary political and logistical backing which energised “gallant’’ members of our armed forces and other security agencies to overrun the headquarters of Boko Haram in the Sambisa Forest and scatter the terrorists from their strong base.

“Today, the group has been degraded and is no longer in a position to mount any serious, coordinated attack, other than sporadic suicide attacks on soft targets.

“Even at that, their reach is very much confined to a small segment of the North East where they had previously held sway unchecked.’’

The world, he advised, should recognise that terrorism had no borders and remained a growing concern which needed collective efforts to curtail.

He appealed to all Nigerians and residents in the country to remain extra vigilant and to report any suspicious element or group to the security agencies.

“We cannot afford to let down our guards. Under my watch, no group will hold the country to ransom.’’

He thanked Lake Chad Basin countries, friendly nations and international partners, who at various points in the last three years have offered their support for Nigeria.

Breaking News: Osun Donates Educational Tablets To Rescued Chibok School Girls (Photos)

The State Government of Osun as donated Opon Imo ‘Tablets of Knowledge’, to rescued Chibok School girls towards their rehabilitation.
Recall the state government had in 2013 launched the revolutionary tablets of knowledge for senior secondary school students in Osun.
Osun Donates Opon Imo To Chibok School Girls1
The programme has in the past 4 years placed a computer electronic device in the hands of student, some of which are from poor background and in rural environment where access to such devices would have been impossible.
Performance of students writing the WASSCE examinations has since improved year on year, culminating in a 46% pass rate in five subjects including Mathematics and English in 2016.
Osun Donates Opon Imo To Chibok School Girlsn I
More details later…

21 Released Chibok School Girls Unite With Parents In Abuja

Tears of joy flowed as 21 Chibok girls who had been kidnapped by the Islamist sect, Boko Haram reunited with their families.

In an emotional ceremony in the capital Abuja, one of the girls said they had survived for 40 days without food and narrowly escaped death at least once.

It is unclear how the release was negotiated, but an official says talks are under way to free some more girls.

Of the 276 students kidnapped in April 2014, 197 are still missing.

One of the girls freed said during a Christian ceremony in Abuja: “I was… [in] the woods when the plane dropped a bomb near me but I wasn’t hurt.

“We had no food for one month and 10 days but we did not die. We thank God,” she added, speaking in the local Hausa language.

Many of the kidnapped students were Christian but had been forcibly converted to Islam during captivity.

Another girl said: “We never imagined that we would see this day but, with the help of God, we were able to come out of enslavement.”

Excited relatives were waiting to be reunited with the girls, who were released last Thursday.

The Nigerian government have denied reports that captured Boko Haram fighters were swapped for the girls. But one security official told the BBC that four commanders had been freed.One parent said: “We thank God. I never thought I was going to see my daughter again but here she is… Those who are still out there – may God bring them back to be reunited with their parents.”

The AP news agency also reported that a “handsome ransom”, in the millions of dollars, was paid by the Swiss government on behalf of the Nigerian government.

Nigeria’s Information Minister Lai Mohammed said Thursday’s release was “the first step” for the liberation of all the remaining girls.

“Already we are on phase two and we are already in discussions,” he told journalists on Sunday.

“But of course you know these are very delicate negotiations, there are some promises we made also about the confidentiality of the entire exercise and we intend to keep them.”

Some of the kidnapped girls managed to escape within hours of their kidnapping, mostly by jumping off lorries and running into nearby bushes.

In total, 219 girls were captured and taken away. But it appears that some of the girls may have died in captivity.

And reports say that, following more than two years in captivity and after being married off to Boko Haram fighters, some of the girls do not want to go home.

BBC Africa

Names, Photos Of 21 Chibok School Girls Released By Boko Haram

Osun Defender has obtained photos of the 21 Chibok School Girls released by their Boko Haram captors yesterday.

The 21 girls with one who already has a baby born to a Boko Haram father met with Nigeria’s Vice President Yemi Osinbajo at the Aso Villa yesterday.

See names and photos of the girls below:

1. Mary Usman Bulama
2. Jummai John
3. Blessing Abana
4. Luggwa Sanda
5. Comfort Habila
6. Maryam Basheer
7. Comfort Amos
8. Glory Mainta
9. Saratu Emmanuel
10. Deborah Ja’afaru (baby: Bukar Amos)
11. Rahab Ibrahim
12. Helen Musa
13. Maryamu Lawan
14. Rebecca Ibrahim
15. Asabe Goni
16. Deborah Andrawus
17. Agnes Gapani
18. Saratu Markus
19. Glory Dama
20. Pindah Nuhu
21. Rebecca Mallam

released-chibok-school-girls2 released-chibok-school-girls1 released-chibok-school-girls3 released-chibok-school-girls

Missing Chibok Girl Nabbed In Cameroon After Failed Suicide Bombing

A suspected suicide bomber intercepted in northern Cameroon friday before she could blow herself up is claiming to be one of 219 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists in Chibok, Borno State in 2014, military and local government sources in Cameroon said.

The two girls arrested in Cameroon friday were carrying explosives and were stopped by local self-defence forces in the village of Limani, in an area of northern Cameroon that has been the target of frequent suicide bombings in recent months.

They were then handed over to Cameroonian soldiers belonging to a multi-national force set up to take on Boko Haram.

“One of them indeed declared that she is one of the Chibok hostages. She is around 15. We are now verifying, because on the Nigerian side they have the names and photos of these girls,” said Cameroonian local government administrator, Raymond Roksdo.

Two military sources, who asked not to be identified as they were not authorised to speak to the press, also confirmed that the girl had claimed to have been one of the Chibok abductees.

“We need a few days to be able to confirm this information. We have to debrief all the men who were present and interrogate the two girls before we can say anything,” one of the military sources said.

In a high-profile attack that sparked a global outcry, Boko Haram militants raided the school in April 2014 while the girls were taking exams. They loaded 270 of them onto trucks, though around 50 escaped shortly afterwards.
Former president Goodluck Jonathan was criticised for his slow reaction to the Chibok abductions.

It was nearly a month before a fact-finding committee travelled to Chibok to establish whether the abduction actually happened and how many girls were missing.

Muhammadu Buhari, who defeated Jonathan in an election last year, ordered a new investigation into the kidnappings in January.

Joint operations between Nigeria and its neighbours Niger, Chad and Cameroon succeeded in driving Boko Haram from many of its strongholds in Nigeria last year.

However, as an 8,700-strong regional task force seeks to stamp them out once and for all, the Islamists have stepped up cross-border attacks and suicide bombings, many of them carried out by young girls.

Thisday