Dogara Tasks Armed Forces On Victory Over Boko Haram

….condoles with Borno, Adamawa over Dalori attack, bomb blast

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara, has said that he is deeply touched by the killing of scores of people in Borno and Adamawa states. In a statement issued by Turaki Hassan, his Special Adviser on Media and Public Affairs, the Speaker described the killings as “senseless crimes against God and humanity.”

 “I am deeply touched by the number of deaths from the recent terrible attack on Dalori on the outskirts of Maiduguri, Borno state, by the murderous Boko Haram insurgents and spate of bombings in  Adamawa State over the past days.”

“This is one attack too many. The spate of killings and destruction of property by blood-thirsty terrorists is inhuman and a reminder to us all on the need to work together to defeat terrorism. I condemn it in the strongest possible terms as the handiwork of heartless, Godless and barbaric terrorists who are all out to shatter the relative peace that is returning to the North East.

It is yet another desperate attempt by the insurgents to instill fear in the minds of Nigerians at a time they are facing imminent defeat in the hands of Nigerian security forces, and I wish to express my heartfelt condolence to the victims’ families, the government and people of Borno and Adamawa states.”

While commending the ongoing efforts of the brave men and women at the battle front, Dogara urged them to push on as “victory is near and sooner rather than later, terrorists and terrorism will be extinct from our land”.

He also called on Nigerians to continue to pray for the restoration of peace in the country as according to him, “with God victory is certain”.

The Speaker further reiterated the commitment of the National Assembly to providing all necessary support to the Armed Forces in order to prosecute this war to a logical end.

Security Operatives Defuse IEDs In Maiduguri

Security operatives have demoblilised materials suspected to be Improvised Explosive Devises (IED) planted near the office of the Borno State Pilgrims Welfare Board in Maiduguri

The Public Relations Officer of the Borno State Police Command, Mr Victor Isuku, made the disclosure in an interview with NAN in Maiduguri on Monday.

He said that the IEDs, which were planted by people suspected to be members of the Boko Haram terror group were demobilised by a joint security team.

“I can confirm that it was a joint police/military operation that demobilised the IEDs but thank God, no live was lost or injuries recorded,” Isuku said.

NAN recalls that no fewer than 20 people were killed after three female suicide bombers detonated IEDs in Chibok, headquarters of the Chibok Local Government Area of the state last month.

We’ve Rendered Boko Haram Homeless, Confused – President Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari insisted Sunday night that Boko Haram has been pulverised, rendered homeless and confused and that recent bombings by the group are attempts to worm their way back to society and hug media attention.

He noted that the insurgents had suffered immensely from the sustained bombardments of their camps and hideouts by the Nigerian military and had resorted to using desperate measures to gain cheap media attention.

President Buhari stated this in a condolence message to victims of recent Boko Haram attacks in Chibok market, Dolari Internally Displaced Person’s (IDP) camp in Borno, and the Gombi market in Adamawa.

“Having lost the war, they are seeking ways and means to gradually find their way back into society.They are not returning to contribute, but to cause more havoc.

“They are so desperate to embarrass the government and the people that they have no qualms attacking isolated communities and markets,’’ Buhari added in a statement issued by Malam Garba Shehu, his senior special assistant for media and publicity.

Buhari called on Nigerians, particularly those in the North-East states, to be more vigilant and ready to work with security operatives in ending the war against insurgency.

The President noted that the materials for the Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) were locally sourced by the insurgents, and urged Nigerians to be more circumspect and report suspicious purchases and movements of unusual components across the country.

“I urge all citizens, wherever they live, to own the war against terror and to be part of the fight, because it is the only way we can finish the remaining work that needs to be done to make our country safe again,’’ he said.

Buhari extended his condolences to all the people of Chibok, Gombi and Dolari who lost loved ones in the recent bomb attacks.

He prayed that the Almighty God would comfort them and grant the injured persons quick recovery.

PM News

Boko Haram Attacks Dalori Village (Photos)

Boko Haram Attacks Dalori Village Boko Haram Attacks Dalori Village1 Boko Haram Attacks Dalori Village2 Boko Haram Attacks Dalori Village3 Boko Haram Attacks Dalori Village4 Boko Haram Attacks Dalori Village5 Boko Haram Attacks Dalori Village6 Boko Haram Attacks Dalori Village7 Boko Haram Attacks Dalori Village8 Boko Haram Attacks Dalori Village9

Photo credit: Sahara Reporters

At least 100 people were killed and over hundred others injured when the Boko Haram terrorists attacked Dalori Village some 4 kilometers from Maiduguri yesterday evening.

Residents of the community told our correspondent that the operation started around 6:20 pm and lasted for several hours.
The militants who operated unchallenged were said to have stormed the town in 10 Hilux vans and motorcycles dressed in army uniforms as they took their time to raze down houses in Dalori village also livestock were burnt after they had looted and carted away foodstuffs. Several civilians were burnt beyond recognition.

Rescue workers who participated in evacuated the victims disclosed to Saharareporters that they brought out 45 dead bodies to state specialist hospital and deposited 23 corpses at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital but several burnt victims remain without help in the beleaguered village.

A resident of the village, Mallam Buka Dalori told our correspondent that ”we were helpless, could you believe that there was no military presence in Dalori, the government didn’t provide security to protect us. I lost 11 people, and 5 of children are nowhere to be found. ”

Another resident Ibrahim Muhammad said that Boko Haram fighters dressed like military personnel and started opening fire on everybody, “all our wives and children were brutally killed while they looted and destroyed our livestock as well as .”

Vice Chairman of civilians JTF in Dalori village Modu Kaka said that at least 100 dead bodies were evacuated last night and also stated that hundreds are still missing.

Saharareporters correspondent later visited Dalori village and saw that the village was completely razed down and every home seen people wailing also several people burnt including children.

Dalori village is about 4 kilometers away from Maiduguri, the Borno State capital where Boko Haram terrorists started a deadly islamic insurgency since 2009.

20 Killed, As Suicide Bomber Hits Adamawa

At least 20 people were killed today when a suicide bomber, suspected to be member of the Boko Haram terrorist sect hit Gombi market, in Adamawa, northeast Nigeria.

Osun Defender learnt the suicide bomber,  a boy, detonated his explosives killing many who were around him at the market centre.

No official could confirm the total number of those who lost their lives, but a member of the Civilian Joint Task Force confirmed that least 20 people lost their lives.

Gombi was recaptured from Boko Haram in 2014 and since then, the insurgents have made several failed attempts to retake the town from the Nigerian military.

How I Dealt With Boko Haram – Goodluck Jonathan In Geneva

Former President Goodluck Jonathan explained to the international media and policy makers & politicians in Geneva, how he dealt a huge blow at the deadly Boko Haram terrorist group.

Osun Defender sourced for his speech and hereby present it below:

Press conference on Security, Education and Development in Africa Geneva Press Club – Wednesday the 27th of January, 2016

Protocols

Ladies and Gentlemen of the press, I thank you for coming to hear me speak on the twin issues of education and security.

Though this event is billed as a press conference on a Better Security and Education for West Africa, for the sake of time, I will focus on my experience in government which gave me a practical demonstration of how education impacts on security.

I will thereafter touch on my post presidential focus which is on advancing democracy and good governance in Africa and increasing access to opportunity for wealth generation in Africa.

If you peruse the official UNESCO literacy rates by country, what you will find is that all of the top ten most literate nations in the world are at peace, while almost all of the top 10 least literate nations in the world are in a state of either outright war or general insecurity.

Lower education levels are linked to poverty and poverty is one of the chief causative factors of crime whether it is terrorism or militancy or felonies.

With this at the back of my mind, I began the practice of giving education the highest sectoral allocation beginning with my very first budget as President in 2011.

My policy was to fight insecurity in the immediate term using counter insurgency strategies and the military and for the long term I fought it using education as a tool.

As I have always believed, if we do not spend billions educating our youths today, we will spend it fighting insecurity tomorrow. And you do not have to spend on education just because of insecurity. It is also the prudent thing to do.

Nigeria, or any African nation for that matter, can never become wealthy by selling more minerals or raw materials such as oil. Our wealth as a nation is between the ears of our people.

It is no coincidence that the Northeast epicenter of terrorism in Nigeria is also the region with the highest rate of illiteracy and the least developed part of Nigeria.

In Nigeria, the Federal Government actually does not have a responsibility for primary and secondary education, but I  could not in good conscience stomach a situation where 52.4% of males in the Northeastern region of Nigeria have no formal Western education.

The figure is even worse when you take into account the states most affected by the insurgency.

83.3% of male population in Yobe state have no formal Western education. In Borno state it is 63.6%.

Bearing this in mind is it a coincidence that the Boko Haram insurgency is strongest in these two states?

So even though we did not have a responsibility for primary and secondary education going by the way the Nigerian federation works, I felt that where I had ability, I also had responsibility even if the constitution said it was not my responsibility.

Knowing that terrorism thrives under such conditions my immediate goal was to increase the penetration of Western education in the region while at the same time making sure that the people of the region did not see it as a threat to their age old practices of itinerant Islamic education known as Almajiri.

For the first time in Nigeria’s history, the Federal Government which I led, set out to build 400 Almajiri schools with specialized curricula that combined Western and Islamic education. 160 of them had been completed before I left office.

I am also glad to state that when I emerged as President of Nigeria on May 6th 2010, there were nine states in the Northern part of the country that did not have universities. By the time I left office on the 29th of May 2015, there was no Nigerian state without at least one Federal  University.

Now the dearth of access to formal education over years created the ideal breeding ground for terror to thrive in parts of Nigeria but there are obviously other dimensions to the issue of insecurity in Nigeria and particularly terrorism.

You may recall that the fall of the Gaddafi regime in August 2011 led to a situation where sophisticated weapons fell into the hands of a number of non state actors with attendant increase in terrorism and instability in North and West Africa.

The administration I headed initiated partnership across West Africa to contain such instability in nations such as Mali, which I personally visited in furtherance of peace.

And with those countries contiguous to Nigeria, especially nations around the Lake Chad Basin, we formed a coalition for the purpose of having a common front against terrorists through the revived Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF).

Those efforts continue till today and have in large part helped decimate the capacity of Boko Haram.

Another aspect of the anti terror war we waged in Nigeria that has not received enough attention is our effort to improve on our intelligence gathering capacity.

Prior to my administration, Nigeria’s intelligence architecture was designed largely around regime protection, but through much sustained effort we were able to build capacity such that our intelligence agencies were able to trace and apprehend the masterminds behind such notorious terror incidences as the Christmas Day bombing of the St. Theresa Catholic Church in Madalla, Niger State.

Other suspects were also traced and arrested including those behind the Nyanya and Kuje bombings.

Not only did we apprehend suspects, but we tried and convicted some of them including the ring leader of the Madalla bombing cell, Kabir Sokoto, who is right now serving a prison sentence.

But leadership is about the future. I am sure you have not come here to hear me talk about the way backward. You, like everyone else, want to hear about the way forward.

I am no longer in office, and I no longer have executive powers on a national level. However, I am more convinced now than ever about the nexus between education and security.

My foundation, The Goodluck Jonathan Foundation, was formed to further democracy, good governance and wealth generation in Africa.

Of course, Charity begins at home and for the future, what Nigeria needs is to focus on making education a priority.

Thankfully, the administration that succeeded mine in its first budget, appears to have seen wisdom in continuing the practice of giving education the highest sectoral allocation. This is commendable.

I feel that what people in my position, statesmen and former leaders, ought to be doing is to help build consensus all over Africa, to ensure that certain issues should not be politicized.

Education is one of those issues. If former African leaders can form themselves into an advisory group to gently impress on incumbent leaders the necessity of meeting the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) recommended allocation of 26% of a nations annual budget on education, I am certain that Africa will make geometric progress in meeting her Millennium Development Goals and improving on every index of the Human Development Index.

Data has shown that as spending on education increases, health and well being increases and incidences of maternal and infant mortality reduce.

In Nigeria for instance, Average Life Expectancy had plateaued in the mid 40s for decades, but after 2011, when we began giving education the highest sectoral allocation, according to the United Nations, Nigeria enjoyed her highest increase in Average Life Expectancy since records were kept. We moved from an Average Life Expectancy of 47 years before 2011 to 54 years by 2015.

I had earlier told you about the connection between education and insecurity.

I believe that it is the job of former leaders and elder statesmen to convince Executive and Legislative branches across Africa to work together to achieve the UNESCO recommended percentage as a barest minimum.

I intend to offer my services, through The Goodluck Jonathan Foundation, for this purpose and I invite interested organizations to help us make this happen.

Ladies and gentlemen of the press, this, in a nutshell are some of my thoughts for a Better Security and Education for Africa and I will now entertain your questions.

Nigerian Soldiers Rescue 370 Hostages, Intercept 3 Suicide Bombers

Nigerian soldiers in the counter-insurgency operations in the northeast have killed a total of 90 Boko Harm fighters during raids on the insurgents’ camps in Borno and Yobe state.

The military also raided Boko Haram arms cache in various camps in the two states within the five days operations where some AK 47 rifles, anti-air guns, magazines with rounds of ammunitions, solar panels being used by the terrorists for their violent act, cell phones, bombs, Improvised Explosive Devices chargers, 4-wheel drive vehicles among others, deputy commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj Gen Lucky Irabor told journalists at a press briefing in Maiduguri, Friday.

Gen Irabor who spoke on behalf of the Theatre Commander Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj Gen Umoru Hassan said the five days operation was aimed at further weakening the capacity of Boko Haram to perpetrate more terror, adding the counter-insurgency operation was receiving vigor each day.

He said troops encountered Boko Haram at Shentimari, cleared the insurgents’ “enclave and recovered 78 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition.” At Chukun Gudu in northern Borno, “troops encountered and destroyed terrorists’ camp along Jillam, Bula Butube. During the exchange of fire, 10 terrorists were killed, two AK 47 Rifles, two AK 47 magazines, two solar panels and two GSM handsets were recovered while one Isuzu was destroyed,” he said.

While giving the details and statistics of the casualties in the raids backed with pictures, the commander said 21 Boko Haram were killed at Old Marte where three soldiers were injured, three insurgents killed at Wajirok Ajigin in Damboa Local Government and eight at Rugga Fulani. Also, 20 Boko Haram were also killed at Afe, Kudiye and Souma with 370 civilian hostages freed. He said four Boko Haram that fled from military onslaught during raid on their hideouts at Huyum, Jeje and Diba villages abandoned their families behind including five women and 12 children. “However, own troops killed four of the Boko Haram,” he disclosed.

He confirmed the suicide attack at the outskirts of Maiduguri, Borno capital yesterday. He said three suicide bombers were intercepted along Mafa road near a military check-point by troops early Friday.

“One of the bombers, a female attempted to move toward the troops but exploded along the way killing self. The blast affected the second female bomber but the third bomber, a male was gun down by our troops while rushing toward the check-point,” he explained.

He solicited for more support from the people, urging them to collaborate with the military and other security agencies to end Boko Haram so as to return to normal life.