Suicide Bomber Kill Three In Borno

Three people have been confirmed dead, all victims being members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) and 17 other persons injured in a suicide bomb attack that took place in Maiduguri, Borno state yesterday Monday March 5th.

In a statement released by the Police Public Relations Officer, Joseph Kwaji, says the attack occurred at about 8:30 pm at Muna Delti area in the outskirt of Maiduguri.

According to Kwaji, a male suicide bomber riding a bicycle detonated an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) strapped to his body killing himself and three CJTF members in the area.

He said the 17 persons that were injured in the attack were evacuated to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital for treatment.

According to him, the police EOD team had sanitized the area while normalcy had been restored.

 

Boko Haram Kills Four UN Help Workers, One Abducted In Borno   

No fewer than four UN aid workers were murdered on Thursday night in an attack coordinated by Boko Haram insurgents at Rann community in Kala Balge Local Government of Borno State.

A female aid worker went missing  while one other sustained injuries in the attack.

Samantha Newport, Head of Communications, UNICEF Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), confirmed the incident on Friday in Maidguri.

Newport said two of the deceased were personnel of UN client organisation, International Organisation of Migration ( IOM), deployed in Rann as camp managers.

She added that others killed were a medical doctor working as consultant with UNICEF and an aid worker with International Committee of Red Cross (ICRC) affiliate organisation.

The UNICEF communications head said a female nurse was abducted, while another female aid worker was injured in the attack.

She explained that all the deceased personnel were Nigerians, adding that the world body

would soon issue a statement on the incident.

Meanwhile, competent sources in Rann told NAN that the insurgents attacked the town at about 7pm on Thursday.

The source added that the insurgents, moving on gun trucks and motorcycles, infiltrated the town and attacked a military base and a displaced persons’ camp.

Military authorities have yet to comment on the incident.

Boko Haram Releases Video Of Man’s Execution

Following the military’s claims that the Islamic sect Boko Haram are under a lot of pressure,  the Abubakar Shekau-led faction sect has released a video of the execution of drug dealers.

The video showed some men bounded by the sect while being whipped mercilessly amid cheers from a local crowd.

Before their final execution, the leader read their offences and sentences before the crowd, who cheered him in excitement.

The were asked to face the earth and were shot at close range, while the crowd chorused ‘Alahu Akbar’ (God is Great).

 

Army Commander Killed In Sambisa Forest

Lieutenant-Colonel AE Mamudu, one of the commanding officers of the Nigerian Army Strike Force Group, was on Thursday, killed by a vehicle-borne Improvised Explosive Device in Sambisa Forest.

Military sources told SaharaReporters that Lieutenant-Colonel Mamudu was killed along with a young Naval officer while on patrol for Operation Deep Punch 11. Lt. Col Mamudu is who is described a fearless fighter hails Kogi state.

Military sources at the defense headquarters say this second time of his coming to Northeast to serve, he was first posted to Borno in 2015. He was posted here last year from the Nigerian Army HQ department of training and operations (DATOPS).

Boko Haram Carried Out 60 Attacks In Cameroon In 2017

Islamic terrorist group responsible for several kidnappings and killing in the Northeast and countries across the border, Boko Haram has carried out about 60 attacks in Cameroon in 2017.

This was revealed by the UN Assistant-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, Ms Ursula Mueller on her arrival in Chad for a two-day visit to see the humanitarian situation.

She added that Cameroon was the country most impacted by the regional extension of the Boko Haram conflict.

“In 2017, there were more than 60 suicide attacks in the Far North representing a 50 per cent increase compared to 2016.

“Some 3.3 million people need urgent humanitarian assistance. In the Far North, one out of every three people is facing crisis and emergency levels of food insecurity.

“But Cameroon’s Humanitarian Response Plan has only received five per cent of the U.S. 305 million dollars required to respond to the most urgent humanitarian needs,’’ she said.

Mueller is expected to meet with Chadian authorities, humanitarian and development partners as well as impacted populations.

She would visit the Lac region on Saturday to see for herself the humanitarian consequences of the Lake Chad Basin crisis in Chad.

According to her, a third of the population or 4.4 million people need humanitarian assistance in 2018.

 

Boko Haram: Lawal Daura Discloses How Release Of Kidnapped Victims Was Achieved

The Director-General of the department of state services, DSS, Lawal Daura has revealed that negotiations with Boko Haram was necessary for the release of the 10 women and lecturers of the University of Maiduguri who were recently released.

According to Daura, the negotiation was the easiest way to get the victims out safe. He said;

“We choose the path of negotiation because it was considered as the safest because any forceful attempt to rescue the victims could endanger their lives.

These negotiations took several months and the Department of State Services with the support of the external elements of the group in diaspora and support from friendly countries and liaising with International Community of the Red Cross, made the rescue possible.

The process was slow due to the problem of dealing with two different groups based in different locations at the same time. In addition, the negotiations took place mostly outside the country, though subsequently finalised in the theatre of operations.

The negotiations were mainly centred on an attempt at conflict mitigation which include the fate of arrested members of the insurgent groups especially, accepting to free by government those found not to be culpable in any criminal action.

Also, possible cessation of hostilities especially the attacks with IEDs on innocent civilians, worship centers, schools and other public places in return for temporary stoppage of air strikes by helicopter gunships.”

 

From Chibok To Dapchi! By SOC Okenwa

When President Muhammadu Buhari was campaigning in 2015, after three failed consecutive attempts, to be elected President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria he was convinced as many Nigerians did of his tested capacity to bring about change to a system — then broken and rotten. Through the All Progressives Congress (APC) coalition he had presented his manifesto to our people harping on re-establishing security, revamping the economy and providing employment for the teeming jobless youths among us. Almost three years down the line the ruling APC policies and programmes seem to be headed to a mitigated general outcome.

Today, just a year before the next general elections, Nigerians are daily expressing fears about the deterioration in their living conditions, the ubiquitous security challenges, the mounting unemployment and the economic acrobatic dance. While we recognise that President Buhari has given the top job his best shot thus far given the national institutional and infrastructural challenges he inherited the truth is self-evident that the federal leadership machine is not functioning at full steam.

For one, Transparency International (TI) had recently released its global 2017 Corruption Perception Index in which Nigeria was ranked poorly at 148th position out of 180 countries considered! What that meant was that despite the anti-graft propaganda of the ruling party and the heroic efforts of the EFCC much still needed to be done to save Nigeria from itself.

Of course it is not untrue that the present federal government has done more than any other democratic government before it came on board in terms of battling graft but the TI shocking rating poured cold water on our vaunted campaign at fighting corruption at the state and national levels. ‘Mr Integrity’ in Abuja Aso Villa seems to be finding it more and more difficult prosecuting the much-vaunted war on graft.

Alas corruption has proven to be a ‘Nigerian’, a hard nut to crack — even for a retired General whose integrity is widely-acknowledged. For another, the Boko Haram armed and dangerous insurgency up north has refused to ‘die’ despite the federal sledge hammer being used to try to crush the terrorist group. And when you add the menacing marauding Fulani herdsmen to the mix then you can conclude that the Buhari presidency is indeed challenged on many fronts security-wise. The Daura man of the Jackboot never envisaged it this way as he sought to change the way we see Nigeria and do things.

Yes, it is not false a claim that the fugitive Abubakar Shekau and his misguided criminal elements had seen their command and control mechanism degraded or damaged yet they have refused doggedly to capitulate. Technically beaten or strategically castrated militarily Boko Haram has proven to be a formidable fighting force with the fiscal, military and organisational wherewithal to withstand the federal assault.

After the Chibok school girls’ abduction imbroglio few years ago here comes another spectacular mass kidnapping in yet another female academic institution in Dapchi, Yobe state. The Dapchi Government Girls’ Science Technical College was not known to many Nigerians until now. While the Chibok incident drew global news headlines the present frightening episode in Dapchi has brought Nigeria another round of opprobrium at home and abroad. The sad news was broken to me by the RFI (Radio France Internationale).

The number of Chibok girls missing at the time of their abduction was said to be close to 300 and now we are being told that the missing Dapchi girls is estimated to be more than a hundred! No one has been found so far. But it is not surprising in any way though. Nigeria is reputed to be a country where on a daily basis innocent blood is shed with no one shedding any tears and governments doing nothing. Life is worth almost nothing!

Days after the Dapchi evil ‘rapture’ of the young ‘Eves’ the Governor of Yobe State, Ibrahim Gaidam, was quoted online as saying that some of the girls had been found. It later proved to be a deliberate lie told to deceive the restive population. The state government had issued a damage-control press statement explaining itself and apologising for the gaffe. According to the statement the Governor told the lie he told based on an “unreliable” information at his disposal then! It accused an unnamed member of a security force fighting the BH for supplying the unverified, yet verifiable, information.

But it goes beyond clarifications or apology or both. The questions persist as parents of the missing girls lament the abrupt departure to the unknown of their loved ones. Pray, how could a state Chief Executive have committed such duplicity? Must he have believed the source easily? What if the same source had told him that he had shot dead Shekau in Damaturu GRA as he was about to bomb the Government House would he have also believed him?

If it were to be in other saner climes Governor Gaidam would have since resigned his executive position or been impeached by the state legislators in the event of any exhibition of intransigence. But Nigeria remains Nigeria where resignation is a ‘taboo’ and gubernatorial impeachment a rarity.

The solution to the Dapchi kidnapping, as embarrassing as it might be, does not lie in releasing the already tried and condemned BH criminals in exchange for the missing girls’ freedom. Or in paying huge ransom in the neighbourhood of millions of Dollars as ‘bribe’ for the girls to be set free. Such a deal encourages Shekau to continue prospering in his murderous mission. The military establishment and other security agencies must get cracking by doing the job (protecting lives and property) for which they are remunerated.

It is a national tragedy that another Chibok was allowed to happen even when some of the abducted Chibok girls had not been accounted for. Allowing the Dapchi damsels to visit BH ‘hell’ and back amounts to cruelty of the worst kind. They deserved better in a rich nation as ours.

The major problem faced by Buharism as 2019 approaches is that the Dapchi abduction may well define or re-define his presidency much like that of GEJ. Whether he succeeds or fails to consolidate power next year history and posterity would never forget to remember his actions or inactions toward the Boko Haram terrorism and their numerous exploits nationwide under his command.

Tambuwal Pledges Support To Boko Haram Victims

The Executive Governor of Sokoto State Aminu Tambuwal has pledged his assistance to a school established by a philanthropist, Alhaji Umarun Kwabo, to cater for more than 150 children orphaned by the notorious Boko Haram sect.

This was revealed in a statement issued on Sunday in Sokoto by Tambuwal’s spokesman, Malam Imam Imam, who said the school would provide shelter, clothing and basic Islamic and western education to the children who fled insurgency in the North-East Zone and were currently living in Sokoto.

“This gesture is not only commendable but worthy of emulation by all persons. Seeing these children happy is both touching and encouraging.

“In my personal capacity and as a government, we will render our assistance to ensure that the children are comfortable,” the statement quoted Tambuwal as saying.

The governor directed officials of the ministries of health and social welfare development to constantly monitor the progress of the children to ensure their comfort.

“These are our children. The unfortunate incidence that brought them here notwithstanding, we will step in and act as all parents should.

“So they are home in Sokoto, and it’s our collective responsibilities to cater for their needs,’’ he added.

Kwabo, on his part, said he was moved to establish the school to create a future for the children.

He said some of the pupils in the school were as young as three years, noting that care givers who speak in their native tongues had been recruited to make their stay easier.

“Some of them speak only their mother tongue, so we took extra effort to recruit teachers who speak such languages to make their stay here as comfortable as possible,’’ Kwabo added.

 

Jubilation In Gaidam Town As Rescued Yobe Schoolgirls Arrive

Residents of Gaidam town defied 9:00pm curfew hour in jubilation to welcome the rescued schoolgirls.

Daily Trust gathered late Wednesday night that children, men, women including house wives lined up on the Maine-Sorroa Street where they received the schoolgirls amidst cheers.

The children rallying on bicycles were chanting a slogan “Gari ya waye” in Hausa language which means “the insurgents are no longer threat.”

The rescued schoolgirls in a convoy of several vehicles with military and hunters drove into the Gaidam military base.

Malam Usman Kura, said for three years, he has not come out of his house around this hour.

“But today is a happy day, we are very excited. So my entire family has come to witness their return. All in this town are agog over their rescue”, he said.

Boko Haram Leader, Shekau, Escapes Nigerian Army Arrest – BBC

Abubakar Shekau, the leader of the Boko Haram terrorist group, has once again escaped from being captured by men of the Nigerian Army, according to BBC.

In a recent operation by the Army, Shekau escaped his hideout in Sambisa forest, leaving behind some of his clothing, chewing stick and a pistol.

A source from the vigilante force working with the Army told the BBC that the troops were very close to the hideout of the factional leader of Boko Haram in Sambisa when an order to retreat forced them to halt operation.

The Nigerian Army has recently ordered that the sect leader be arrested either dead or alive, with a bounty of $8,000 place on him.

“They ran away I saw them with my naked eyes,” the source said, adding that the militants are still armed.

Around 200 to 300 Boko Haram fighters are in operation, according to a commander who defected just after the attack.

The army repeatedly claim they have caught, killed or injured Shekau.

President Muhammadu Buhari also claimed a year ago that Boko Haram had been technically defeated.

475 people who were arrested on suspicion of being linked to the militant Islamist group were released because of lack of evidence to duly prosecute them.

A young woman, who gave birth in detention three months ago, is among the group of women, children, elders and young men who were freed.

It is unclear when she was arrested but some of those freed have been in military custody since 2010, when the militants launched a full-scale insurgency in the north-east to establish its version of Islamic rule.

A total of 205 suspects have so far been convicted in the mass trial launched by Federal Government some months ago.

The convicts include a man identified as the mastermind of the abduction of 276 schoolgirls in the town of Chibok in 2014.

Haruna Yahaya, 35, was sentenced to 15 years in prison on Friday for masterminding the abductions, which caused global outrage.

This is in addition to a 15-year sentence he received earlier for taking part in the kidnappings.

The judge ordered Yahaya to spend 30 years in prison.

 

Fear As Boko Haram Attacks Another Girls School In Yobe

There were fears on Monday over the safety of students of the Government Girls Secondary School, GGSS Dapchi, in Bursari local government area of Yobe State, northeast, Nigeria, over the reported presence of insurgents in the area.

Ahmed Danladi, a civil servant in the local government told newsmen that residents, including the students, scampered for safety when they saw trucks and motorcycles carrying Boko Haram fighters entering the town and shooting sporadically.

According to him, “For now, the shooting has stopped, but we are still indoors as we speak. There is a re-reinforcement of soldiers; may be by tomorrow (today) we will know the extent of attack, but everybody is indoor now only the soldiers can be heard moving in their trucks.”

A security source, who disclosed that none of the girls was abducted, said the attack in Dapchi was not unconnected with the fleeing Boko Haram fighters who were displaced by troops in Sambisa forest.

According to him, there was a red alert on Saturday that some terrorists in three vehicles were seen heading towards Damaturu, and all check points were asked to be on alert.

“They were sighted moving towards Mafa – Sasawa villages in Yobe state. Perhaps they may have taken another route and appeared in Dapchi today or it could be another group since they are all in disarray”, he added.