Strike: Senator Appeals to Osun Workers, Preaches Collective Interest

Senator representing Osun Central Senatorial District, Professor Sola Adeyeye had asked workers in Osun State to champion the collective interest of Osun State, saying that they should be ready to juggle figures with the government with a view to working on the development of the state together. In a statement issued by the legislative Assistant…”
Admin
August 17, 2011 12:32 pm
Uncategorized

In a statement issued by the legislative Assistant to the Senator, Mr. Odun Ayeni, the University don-turned-politician, made the statement while distributing Ramadan gifts to some Muslim faithful who are loyalists of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) of Osun Central extraction in Osogbo last week.
Senator Adeyeye stressed that Osun State needs industrial harmony this time around in order to catalyze the integral action plans of Governor Rauf Aregbesola, saying that the workers should not be adamant on their own generated figures, but should be able to reason with the government on the economic reality of the state.
The lawmaker further urged the government to engage the leadership of the workforce in negotiation, before opposition parties introduced cynicism to the strike action, noting that all parties in the negotiation should be ready for compromise in the name of progress.
According to him, “Our people in Osun state do not want the workforce that would impede the developmental plans of Governor Rauf Aregbesola. What they want was positive forces that would enhance the delivery of good governance promised, and I am convinced that the workforce in Osun State would not serve as impediment.”
Besides, Adeyeye blamed the government at the centre for creating industrial hitches for the state without taking the economic peculiarity of each state into cognizance, arguing that, it was the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) that made the minimum wage issue an electioneering jamboree.
The lawmaker then argued that the reason for Federal Government’s re-negotiation with workers after President Goodluck Jonathan had signed the wage bill to law was a demonstration of poor federal structure.
“In a standard federal structure, an individual state would be left to negotiate with its workers, not that some politicians would just sit at the centre to determine what happens to Ekiti or Osun State, but cynicism of the PDP had come to play on the minimum wage crisis.
It would be recalled that the workforce in Osun State had embarked on strike action as a result of its disagreement with the government on the wage table presented by the latter, which submitted to paying N18,000 to workers on salaries grade levels 01-07, while other levels would be graduated in prorated.
However, the leadership of the workers had drawn the battle-line with the government, arguing that the new wage should be paid across board.

10 Comments

Ayo Babalola

PROFESSOR OR SENATOR, WHATEVER THEY CALL YOU. YOUR SITTING ALLOWANCE OF 1MILLION PER SITTING AND OGBENI’S 500MILLION MONTHLY IS ENOUGH TO PAY OVER 30,000 OSUN WORKERS. YOU AND OGBENI CAN CONTRIBUTE YOUR EXCESS EXPLOITATION OF OUR COMMONWEALTH FOR OUR MEAGER PAY AFTERALL YOU ARE ALL AWOISTS OR ‘OMO AWOLOWO’ AND PA AWOLOWO SHOWED LEADERSHIP BY PERSONAL SACRIFICE. hiss…

Ayo Babalola

PROFESSOR OR SENATOR, WHATEVER THEY CALL YOU. YOUR SITTING ALLOWANCE OF 1MILLION PER SITTING AND OGBENI’S 500MILLION MONTHLY SECURITY VOTE IS ENOUGH TO PAY OVER 30,000 OSUN WORKERS. YOU AND OGBENI CAN CONTRIBUTE YOUR EXCESS EXPLOITATION OF OUR COMMONWEALTH FOR OUR MEAGER PAY AFTERALL YOU ARE ALL AWOISTS OR ‘OMO AWOLOWO’ AND PA AWOLOWO SHOWED LEADERSHIP BY PERSONAL SACRIFICE. hiss…

Bayo Omolola

Dear Senator Adeyẹƴe:

I campaigned for you before your election and congratulated you when you emerged the winner in your senatorial district election. Your past positive records convinced me to give you my support and to ask other people to give you priority at their voting venues.

However, your recent appeal to workers makes me to wonder if you still keep your spirit of sincerity. What can any family person earning 18,000 paira do with his or her monthly salary in Nigeria today? How long will it take them to keep parts of the monthly money to buy a plot of land and possible dream of constructing a personal shelter? How much does a bag of cement cost?

Of course, it is when people have their basic needs that life becomes meaningful to them. Any government which can not examine Abraham Maslow’s concept of basic needs and work towards realizing the needs for the public it governs is against the public. It does not matter where the government is or who is in charge.

The power of naira is weak today, there is inflation, but unfortunately, there is reckless spending on the part of those in government nation-wide, there is pretense when they meet the public. I wish Nigerian politicians learn their lessons from what seems as a public awareness to wrestleinconsiderate out of political map in Africa. Egypt and other African countries have taken the lead. May be the masses in Nigeria will stop begging politicians for money, food, dresses, drinks, and other materials. May be they will use their power to question Nigerian politicians to be open, honest, and result-oriented. It is not taking from personal earning to distribute rams, goats, sugar, cigarette, bottles of beer, naira notes that the masses in Nigeria need now. The infrastructure should work, corruption should stop, leaders should be responsible, political maturity should be displayed, law should be respected, justice should be available, decency of life should be extended to all people, fairness should be visible, godfatherism should stop, other terrible dealings should end.

I hope Honorable Adeyẹyẹ will do a better job by prompting other people in governments to do things right.

Sincerely,

Bayo Omolola
Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Bayo Omolola

.. do right things.”

Wale Adewumi

I think Bayo Omolola needs to re-read the article reference Prof. Senator Adeyeye’s appeal to Osun State Workers. He made a simple appeal to the people to take all figures into account and negotiate in good faith for the progress of all people of Osun State. Additionally, by making personal sacrifice to the people, he has demonstrated that he is willing and is committed governance according to the ideals set forth by our beloved sage, the great Chief Obafemi Awolowo, may his soul rest in peace. It is easy for us to sit in the comforts of our abode in the USA and cast stones across the great Atlantic. Let us all not only call for our leaders to make personal sacrifices, but for us individuals to also take time off and ask what we can do to make Nigeria a better place for all who live therein. May God continue to guide our leaders and may He grant them wisdom that such a time demands. Peace!

Wale Adewumi

Deep commitment to governance in the footsteps of our pioneers is what we need and what we are now beginning to enjoy in Osun State. God bless our beloved Osun State and the whole of Nigeria with peace and plenty.

Bayo Omolola’s piece is a delight to read. He was not rude, did not get carried away by emotion even when he felt deeply for the suffering of the people of Osun. He remained clear, concise and addressed issues from an intelligent point of view. I am impressed. I hope the professor gets to read it and take appropriate actions.
Like Bayo, I love the ACN passionately, I guess it is borne out the evil ways of the PDP and their tendency to murder and maim. However, can this party last in power especially in Osun? When the governor becomes too big to everybody and they do not listen to simple voice of reason. In some cases they do have great intentions. Baba Akande as a governor was one of the best the country has ever produced, he has pure and good intentions but, he could not manage expectations, he could not manage human resources, he could not bring divergent interest together and forge a common purpose. For those errors, he exposed the masses of the state to 8 years of PDP misrule. The people, in their ignorance voted for a party that lacks direction, the rest is history. Now my fear is that Ogbeni Aregbesola is gradually following the same footstep. He needs to connect with the people, he should be diplomatic and set realistic goals. He also needs to call Osun Defender to order, gradually I can see hero worshiping, they are hailing him but he is not doing a great job yet. I read one of those ridiculous reports where the paper accused FRSC of targeting official drivers, and I began to wonder if the governor is promoting recklessness, or is he inferring that these drivers are above the law?
Power corrupts but leaders should look at those before them and learn. IBB used to be the alpha and Omega of this country but he contested with Jonathan and was rubbished, same with Atiku. Oyinlola/Omisore once held Osun by the jugular, recently they were humiliated at the polls. OBJ was disgraced to the extent that he lost the polling booth right in front of his house! Only great leaders stay permanently in the minds of the people. Awolowo, Murtala Mohammed, Tinubu, Fashola etc
Plzzz Ogbeni, stay away from sycophants. I cannot imagine my poor people being ruled by the PDP ever again, I am begging you save us from them. The only way you can do that is by not becoming a Lord unto yourself. Listen to the Voice of Reason

Kemi Amusan (Canada)

It is sad that we have degenerated to this level. Daily, our compass of growth will continue to point south if we continue at this rate. When developed countries are busy advancing human rights and even making sure dogs are well fed and catered for, we are still busy fighting to get the very basics of life. Yes, N18,000.00 for an average family of today is nothing but peanuts. However, if we sratch our bodies with the same velocity of the pains we feel, we will surely scratch until we reach the bone marrows. And if we want to also call attention to the bent load on the handicapped man’s head, he will point us to the origin of the problem which is from the leg up. Dialogue may be the best way out here. For once in a long while, we are blessed with a listening Governor who has shown us that he has the love of the masses and he is doing his utmost best. Those of us outside the country are being told daily that Osun State will not be the same in the next four years as our compass of growth will definitely be pointing north. Every good project needs a good foundation. Please great Osun people, let us give peace a chance. Let us give our governor all the opportunities necessary for him to take us to the promised land. The rot is deep, the cure cannot be instant. Remmember, with patient, a snake eventually climbs the coconut tree. Peace!

Bayo Omolola

I commend the efforts of Wale Adewumi for sending a message out that all Nigerians should help to build Nigeria. I share this thought that people should not just live in another without doing something to help Nigeria.

For record, I transparently served Nigeria in 1988 -1989; then I was a supervisory councilor and Oyo State zonal board member for Osun Hospitals Management Board, and in 1993 a local government chairmanship aspirant on the SDP ticket before Abacha helped IBB to complete his assignment- truncating democracy.

I have been a good citizen; I have never looted any local, state, and national treasury.

People can serve Nigeria in different ways; for example, they may want to be in the public glare by asking for votes, they may want to suggest ideas from wherever they may be, they may want to point out what is wrong so they those in government can feel and gauge their performance, and they may want to spend their personal incomes to help other Nigerians.

For record, in my little way I scholarships to students; I spent part of my income to help high school students. Few publications like Daily Times and Community Concord carried the news. I have to mention some of the things I did so that Wale Adewumi will know that it is not everybody that lives in the United States and passes comment on Nigerian politicians that just talks and has nothing to show to prove his or her involvement in Nigeria. The coverage area of help does not matter. The spirit and commitments to help are what should matter.

Again, Wale, thank you for stressing the need for every Nigerian to contribute to the development of the country.

Now to Otutu-nile, I commend you, too, for using your sense of objectivity for letting Wale Adewumi know that only the truth can help Nigeria. May be one day you, Wale, and I will know one another physically and hold discussions on fast and result-oriented ways that can help the country. I strongly believe that Nigeria is not making much progress at her age. I strongly believe that Nigeria has potentials that can be tapped to make the country better. I strongly believe deceit is a major political problem Nigeria has. I strongly believe all political leaders and followers should set a stage for future generations.

Again I thank both of you for reacting to my submission on Professor Ṣọla Adeyẹye.

Bayo Omolola

I commend the efforts of Wale Adewumi for sending a message out that all Nigerians should help to build Nigeria. I share this thought that people should not just live in another country without doing something to help Nigeria.

People can serve Nigeria in different ways; for example, they may want to be in the public glare by asking for votes, they may want to suggest ideas from wherever they may be, they may want to point out what is wrong so that those in government can feel and gauge their performance, and they may want to spend their personal incomes to help other Nigerians.

For record, in my little way, I gave scholarships to students; I spent part of my income to help high school students. Few publications like Daily Times and Community Concord carried the news. I have to mention some of the things I did so that Wale Adewumi will know that it is not everybody that lives in the United States and passes comment on Nigerian politicians that just talks and has nothing to show to prove his or her involvement in Nigeria. The coverage area of help does not matter. The spirit and commitments to help are what should matter.

Now to Otutu-nile, I commend you, too, for using your sense of objectivity for letting Wale Adewumi know that only the truth can help Nigeria. May be one day you, Wale, and I will know one another physically and hold discussions on fast and result-oriented ways that can help the country. I strongly believe that Nigeria is not making much progress at her age. I strongly believe that Nigeria has potentials that can be tapped to make the country better. I strongly believe deceit is a major political problem Nigeria has. I strongly believe all political leaders and followers should set a better stage for future generations.

Again, I thank both of you for reacting to my submission on Professor Ṣọla Adeyẹye.