The Vice President of the Osun Muslim Community, Alhaji Mustafa Olawuyi, on Monday urged the leadership of Islamic terrorist group, Boko Haram, to free the school girls abducted from Chibok, Borno State in 2014.
Speaking at a press conference in Osogbo, the Osun state capital, Olawuyi, said the girls had been in captivity for long and it would be better for the group to free them.
Olawuyi, however cautioned against referring to Boko Haram insurgents as an Islamic outfit, stressing that they don’t represent Islam.
He said, “We can only appeal to them to release them from where they are being kept. It is strange how they abducted over 200 girls in the first place, they didn’t take them away by aircraft, they used vehicles and no single vehicle could convey them at a time.
“They passed through towns and villages and nobody stopped them. We can only pray that Allah will release the girls for us.”
Boko Haram insurgent had on April 14, 2014 abducted over 200 girls from the Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State.
Since the abduction of the girls, a pressure group, #BringBackOurGirls, BBOG has been formed, mounting pressure on the government to do more in seeing to the safe return of the missing girls.
Following public outcry that the government was not doing enough towards ensuring the rescue of the abducted girls, the Federal Government on September 16 2016 announced the launch of a fresh bid to rescue the girls .
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed during a media briefing in Abuja had explained that previous efforts to rescue the girls were frustrated by infighting among Boko Haram terrorists and middle men, who exploited the process for pecuniary gains.