Osun festival gathers momentum as Aregbesola orders tarring of grove road

In preparation for this year’s edition of Osun -Osogbo Festival coming up on Friday August 26, Governor Rauf Aregbesola has directed immediate facelift including tarring of the road leading into the ancient grove. Lighting the traditional 16-portal lamp has been scheduled for Thursday night while Iwopopo (trekking through the major street) took place last Monday….”
Admin
August 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Lighting the traditional 16-portal lamp has been scheduled for Thursday night while Iwopopo (trekking through the major street) took place last Monday.

It was reliably gathered that the project which was being carried out as a direct labour task was designed to improve security and access into and out of the grove.

The governor also directed that a car park be constructed to hold more than 500 cars in addition to a walkway within the leading to the Osun shrine.

Another phase of the project was also designed to include the installation of an exit gate to facilitate effective crowd control among worshippers and tourists to prevent stampede.

Governor Aregbesola also directed that the construction and beautification work must be done to ensure preservation of existing cultural icons along the shrine so as not to affect the historical value of the grove.

At the time of filling this report, heavy duty equipment were seen compacting the road from Isale Osun junction into the grove while a massive gate been constructed at the entrance to the sacred forest.

14 Comments

this is wonderful, keep it up

this is wonderful work from wonderful governor, keep it up

Abdulafeez Ajayi

That is the most hateful work I have ever witnessed during Rauf Aregbesola administration. Let us join hand and discourage rubbish in our land. I think we are finding it more difficult in Osun and beyound due to our level of consecration to gods and neglect our deserved creator. I was pitying his ability to pay minimum wages before but know I think Osun should hold him thight and make sure they are on strike till he will answer them since he has money to spend for unadvantageous activities like Osun Osogbo and likes. It is better to come out in your true picture than to be of hypocrite. Re think ur descisions.

Dele Bashiru

Mr. Ajayi, your view to me reflects you to be religion extremist and u have lost sight of the fact that the state belongs to all in respective of your religion inclination. The administration of the state can not become apologetic of any particular religion. The efforts being made to upgrade the festival is in order and must be commended.

yinka agiri

@Abdulazeez- Do we have to abandon our heritage just because we are now muslims and christians. Your comment shows that you are unaware of what is expexted of a lesder. He is a governor of all, even the late Matanmi the 3rd was a devoted muslim but he took part in all the festival while he was alive
In my own view, Aregbeshola has just delivered one of his electoral promises. As regards the minimim wage, I believe the workers have the right to demand for their right while the governor must also protect the interest of states.

MUSA OLAIWON

I am a believer in God and huanity. My beliefs in God doesn’t allow me to discriminate against any religion. Nigeria is a secular state and this secularity must be maintained.
Ogbeni Aregbesola is using the state money to tar the road to the Osun shrine at Osogbo which has been neglected for many years. I passed through this road last year when i was in Nigeria and i asked my friend whom i accopanied to a Muslim University on this Road whether we have Government in Osun State at all.
We are not in Muslim Boko Harram Nothern Nigeria where muslims and christians alike are killedd on daily basis in the name of religion.
As much as Osun State workers has fundamental rights to get the salary which is due to them, other development should not be neglected because of the strike. A state that is using seventy percent of the Federal allocation and internally generated revenue on salary and pension can’t develop.

People are not ready and willing to pay taxes, where do people want the state to get money to develop the state?
Tarring or total overhauling of this road will be beneficial to the people using this road and this will bring more revenue to the state purse because this is a tourist attractions area. Osun State is sitting on potential which hasn’t be tapped. Why is it that some people are so myopic and retogressive in Osun State?
Please live Aregbesola alone and let him do what he was elected to do. This man was robbed of his mondate by the most retrogressive party in Nigeria (PDP). What did PDP do about this road during the time of former Governor of Osun State? I am not a mouth piece of Govrrnor Aregbesola and doesn’t even know me but the truth must be stated without fear or favour.
Musa Olaiwon is a native of Ikire in Irewole Local Government.

This is very tough on me as a person. My organization is called The African Heritage Media, I am a practising Moslem from a linage of Egungun Worshippers (Amusan),my mother is a born again christian and I LOVE MY TRADITION SO MUCH. I have personally wish to send a team to cover the Osun Oshogbo but the Ramadan Timing is not good for my organization. Ogbeni swore to the constitution (not the sharia law) of Nigeria to administer and rule over the people of Oshun as per the mandate entrusted on him by Muslims,Christians and the Traditionals who keep the flag of our heritage flying. I will not BURA (Swear) in the presence of or with any daity but I will always see the orishas as part of our heritage which should be preserved for the sake of our children and even posterity.

Aregbesola is a man and wonderful governor

My governor is my mean man that i use to see a good leader,he is product of the state of center of excellent,all the myopic people of osun state like abdul azees should keep quiet and see no more. Osun Osogbo has there for the long time,why is this time around people like azees are now shouting,for the worker of osun state,they av right to ask for their right. I am a nitive of OSOGBO from ISALE OSUN.

ADEBISI KAYODE LATEEF,from Lagos.

Why see osun state been ruled from lagos state? Cus most key officer are from lagos. Don’t u think its unheard of?

Is very unfortunate for so called Abdulazeez to attacked is heritage that been exist even before islam where brought to us by Arab invader, and later Christianity where brought by European invader.Arab and European where only two race of people, that brought so much pain, agony and distruction of indigeneous culture and way of life of other member of human family, just to control their mind.
Lack of knowledge about who we are as people, and our contribution to world civillazation. African where the first people on the face Earth to aknowledge the supreme God, before even Arab and European religion exist.
For any religion that go after someone heritage and way of life,is absolute wortless religion, because heritage give birth to your culture, and your culture give birth to your religion, and your religion must reflect your heritage and your identity. Because we leaved out of ourselve, that is why you see so much tribulation engulfed our continent, because for race of people that leaved ouside themselves will absolute confront confusion of identity and tribulation. African were only race of people that rejected everything African and following another philosophy that did reflect is identity. Sometime I asked myself if God created all human the same, that know one is superior to another,why then God choose the Islamic and Christianity to be superior religion. Why not the Religion of my Yoruba people. This two race of people Arab and European were succeeded in supressing another heritage and way of life of other people, just because of ego of domination
There nothing strange in our culture Mr Abdulazeez, Oun teni ni teni, ejeka gbe nkan wa laruge.

Buraimoh mobolaji

Mr ajayi if you have nothing good you better keep quiet or tunder fire you

Felix Debo Ajayi

I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE WORK BEEN DONE BY YOUR GOVERNOR. I WRITE TO YOU FROM THE USA. I WAS BORN IN OSHOGBO OVER 50 YEARS AGO AND HAVE SPENT MOST OF MY LIFE IN THE USA AND LET US GIVE CREDIT WHEN IT IS DUE. OSHUN STATE IS ON THE RISE AND WILL GET TO THE MOUNTAIN TOP. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GOVERNOR AND LOVE AND BEST WISHES TO ALL PEOPLE LIVING IN THE STATE.