Osun Explosion Saga: Magistrate Absent In Court

Oyinlola's Phantom Bomblast

•Adjourned To Feb 24

THE case of the controversial bomb blast pending at Osogbo magistrate’s court against some members of opposition parties in Osun State, has further been adjourned to February 24, 2009 for mention due to the absence of the new magistrate, who took over from Mr Olapoju Akintayo, the immediate past magistrate of the court.

The absence of the magistrate who was yet to be known as at the time of filing this report, has impeded the case, which has been hanging on the accused persons since 2007.

OSUN DEFENDER gathered that the magistrate has been posted to the court 2, where the suspects are standing trial, since last week, following the appointment of the former magistrate of the court as District president, Customary Court of Appeal, Osun State.

No reason was attached to the absence of the magistrate as the court clerks said they didn’t know anything about the new magistrate.

Police prosecution counsel, Mr Ayuba Adekunle, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) and defence counsel to the suspects agreed to choose February 24, 2009, as the adjournment day.

The accused persons are: Mr Ayo Oyebiyi, a chief magistrate grade 1, Osun State House of Assembly, Minority Leader, Mr Timothy Owoeye, his colleague, Mr Folarin Fafowora, one of Aregbesola’s legal aides, Mr Gbenga Akano and Mr Sunday Laoye, elder brother to Aregbesola’s running-mate, Mrs Grace Titi Laoye-Tomori.

Others are: Media Assistant to Aregbesola, Mr Gbenga Fayemiwo, Osun State Action Congress Director of Research and Strategy, Mr. Sunday Akere and former commissioner for health in the state, Mr Layi Oyeduntan.

It would be recalled that an object, which the police had called Improvice Explosive Device (IED) went off in front of Ministry of Water Resources, Abere, area of the state capital in a grey Peugeot 505 car, on June 14, 2007.

The explosion, which has been a subject of criticism in the state, claimed the life of one of the occupants of the car, Taye Henry, while another occupant of the car, Richard Abayomi, lost an eye to the blast.

Abayomi, who was caught at the scene, had earlier deposed to an affidavit, where he stated that the explosion was not politically planned.

But controversy started to trail the case when Abayomi (the prime suspect) sworn to another affidavit after some months of his trial, where he accused members of the state Action Congress (AC) of masterminding the explosion.

The case, which has been transferred to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Ministry of Justice, has not been established against any of the opposition members, since 2007.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *