Based on precedents and judicial pronouncements, The Independent National Electoral Commission has chosen to go ahead with the recall process of Senator Dino Melaye.
The commission yesterday pasted a notice at its state office in Lokoja on the verification of the recall process of the Senator representing Kogi West Senatorial District in the upper house of the National Assembly.
The National Commissioner of INEC in charge of North-Central, Mallam Mohammed Haruna, said the Court of Appeal had since 2001 decided that a court cannot stop the recall of a lawmaker.
Although, “pasting the verification notice is just the first leg of the process which cannot hurt Melaye in any way. Even the process does not amount to removing the senator,” a source within the commission who spoke on condition of anonymity has stated.
Meanwhile, INEC said on Monday that it had been served with an order of a Federal High Court, Abuja, which asked the commission and Melaye to maintain status quo in the suit the lawmaker filed to challenge his recall process.
The Chief Press Secretary to INEC chairman, Mr. Rotimi Oyekanmi, who spoke on phone stated that the commission received the order on Monday.