The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has revealed that two more bodies were pulled out early Wednesday from the debris of a collapsed Lagos high-rise building, bringing the death toll to 22 people.
The 21-storey building was still under construction when it crumbled on Monday in the upscale Ikoyi neighbourhood of Nigeria’s commercial capital.
Rescuers said Wednesday they had recovered 22 dead bodies so far and rescued nine people who survived, but construction workers feared dozens of their colleagues were trapped inside.
Ibrahim Farinloye of the National Emergency Management Agency said, “We recovered two male bodies early this morning, bringing the toll to 22″.
The number of survivors still stood at nine, he said, adding that search and rescue operations were still on.
The hope of finding more survivors appeared to dim as the rescue operation entered the third day on Wednesday.
“We won’t give up until we reach ground zero,” Farinloye said, adding that bigger equipment was brought in Tuesday evening for the operation.
He had earlier said rescue workers had been communicating with other survivors still trapped under the destroyed building.
Distraught relatives and friends of the victims have been besieging the scene since Monday, seeking information on their fate.