About Osun Defender

Gambia Calls For Global Support Over Food Insecurity

The Gambian government has called on global partners to swiftly respond with their support after it declared a status of food insecurity on Wednesday. A statement from the Vice President’s office disclosed that assessment had shown a failure of 2018 cropping season across the country. “About 1,711,318 people will be under pressure throughout the year…”
Editor
September 20, 2018 11:55 am

The Gambian government has called on global partners to swiftly respond with their support after it declared a status of food insecurity on Wednesday.

A statement from the Vice President’s office disclosed that assessment had shown a failure of 2018 cropping season across the country.

“About 1,711,318 people will be under pressure throughout the year if the present rainfall situation continues up to the end of the cropping season,” said the statement.

“Rice production is expected to drop by 45 per cent, leaving production level at about 15,098 metric tons (mt), which can cover about eight per cent of the rice needs of the regions leaving a gap of 92 per cent (185,126 mt).

This shortfall is valued at 5.2 billion Dalasis (110.3 million dollars),” it said.

Direct access to food and nutrition packages from the government of The Gambia and development partners to the tune of 200,224 mt of rice and 99,256 mt of coarse grains in 2019.

These will be needed to help mitigate against the eminent food insecurity pressure, said the statement signed by Vice President, Ousainou Darboe.

“On behalf of the Government and the people of The Gambia, I make a passionate plea for assistance from all development partners and friends of The Gambia to help mitigate the effects of food insecurity that will affect over 1.7 million Gambians,” Darboe said.

The Department of Water Resources’ seasonal rainfall prediction for July, August and September 2018 indicated 45 per cent chance of below normal rainfall, 40 per cent chance of near-normal rainfall and 15 per cent chance for above normal rainfall.

Related Posts

See All