ABOUT one billion Naira was said to have been withdrawn from the accounts of the Ekiti state, Government within two days after Appeal Court’s verdict ousting formergovernor Olusegun Oni.
The money was moved by some top government officials from account no 005600000578 with a new generation bank in the state capital branch of the bank between Feb.18 and 19 while Mr Segun Oni was removed from the office on the 17th of the same month.
Our correspondent leant that One Billion Naira was also removed from thesame account on the 22nd of Nov. and Dec.19th last year.
Meanwhile Ekiti activist and lawyer, Morakinyo Ogele has challenged the bankers to name the signatories to the account within seven days or risk being investigated by EFCC officials.
He said every kobo taken from the state treasury would be recovered through legitimate means urging all those who had looted the treasury to return the loot or face the wrath of the law.
On tuesday, the former governor of the state challenged those that petition the EFCC that he was corrupted to swear to an affidavit to support their allegation saying loss of immunity after the appeal court verdict should encourage his critis to substanciate their allegation.
In another developmnt, the Ekiti state house of assmbly is spoiling for a fight with the police chief whom they accused of releasing a local Government Chairman, arrested at the house premises on tuesday.
It was leant that the Ido/Osi and Ikere Local government chairmen Mr Sanmi Olubunmo and Sunkanmi Ogunbiyi both from PDP allegedly led thugs to the Assembly premises to distrupt the sitting of the lawmakers, where the 2009 budget was being passed into law.
They came to the House on the bases of a rumour that the house wanted to dissolve all the 16 councils.
Ogunbiyi took to his heels but luck was not on the side of Olubunmo, who was arrested with six others and handed over to the police at Iyin/Secretariat Road Police Station.
According to report, one of the cars that brought the hoodlums contains weapons but the driver sped off, when the House security went to check the car.
The state’s Acting Speaker, Hon. Saliu Adeoti accused the state’s Police Chief of facilitating the release of the suspects, adding that the action may encourage more violence, he claimed the lawmakers were angry with the police chief for releasing the suspects without their permision.
He said since the lawmakers had passed a resolution last week, urging the Acting Governor, Mr Tunji Odeyemi to dissolve the state executives council and sack all political appointees of Mr Segun Oni they had been receiving death threats.
Also the Ekiti Youth Democractic Movement has called for the arrest of Senator Ayo Arise for allegedly instigating the violence which rocked Oye-Ekiti on Monday.
The group co-ordinator, Mr James Okunola and Secretary, Mr Jide Olowolagba said the senator should be arrested to help police speed up their investigation on the matter, while the group critised the police at Oye Divisional headquaters for closing their eyes to the attitude of Arise’s boys.
It also accused the state police chief of poor response to calls made to him during the crisis,they accused the police chief is highly political and cannot be trusted to secure lives and properties of good people of Ekiti State before during and after the re-run election in the state.
The group stated that the state police boss is no longer performing his policing job in Ekiti State as he had made the state a haven for the PDP hoodlums to perpetrate their evil act without being checked whenever they commit their attrocities.
By SOLA OYINLOYE, Ekiti