Putin, Trump Discuss North Korea In Phone Call

Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump discussed the crisis over North Korea’s nuclear program in a phone call Thursday, in which the US president took the unusual step of thanking his Russian counterpart for praising America’s economy.

The two heads of state discussed “the situation in several crisis zones, with a focus on solving the nuclear issue on the Korean peninsula,” the Kremlin said in a statement, without elaborating.

The White House said the two “discussed working together to resolve the very dangerous situation in North Korea.”

But Trump’s thanks to Putin took top billing in the US statement.

“President Trump thanked President Putin for acknowledging America’s strong economic performance in his annual press conference,” it said.

Earlier in the day, Putin told his press conference: “Look at how the markets are reacting, they are growing. This shows confidence in the American economy. With all due respect to (Trump’s) opponents, these are objective facts.”

The pair have lavished praise on each other in the past, with commentators describing their cozy relationship as a “bromance.”

Special counsel Robert Mueller is currently investigating possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Moscow to tilt the White House race in his favor.

Washington this week said it was ready to talk to North Korea — which has launched several intercontinental ballistic missiles in recent months — “without preconditions.”

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that while the Trump administration was still determined to force Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear arsenal, it was willing to “have the first meeting without preconditions.”

Putin, in his annual press conference with hundreds of journalists in Moscow, welcomed the United States’ “awareness of reality” in the crisis.

However, he called on all sides to “stop aggravating the situation” and said Moscow did not recognize North Korea’s status as a nuclear power.

AFP

Wike Is “One Of My Sons”, I Cannot Bend To Him – Amaechi

The Minister for Transportation, Mr Chibuike Amaechi, has denied any rift between him and Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike, describing the governor as one of his ‘sons’.

Amaechi, who was also governor of Rivers State from 2007 to 2015, said this during his appearance on Channels Television’s Question Time.

“He (Wike) was my staff; he is like one of my sons,” Amaechi said during the programme which aired on Thursday. “Why should I engage him? He was local government chairman when I was the Speaker (of the State House of Assembly),” he said.

The minister, however, accused the governor of failing to sustain the efforts he had made in developing Rivers State.

He also alleged that Wike was trying to tamper with the love the people of the state have for him.

Amaechi said: “The governor has just one agenda – if he is in his toilet, ‘Amaechi’; if he is outside his toilet, ‘Amechi’… what baffles me is not the governor, it is the
people.

“When I was governor, I used Rivers State’s money on projects in the state. If you visit the state, you will see the primary schools that we built. No matter what the governor does, the projects are there.

“I hired 13,200 teachers who are alive, I established primary schools, the primary schools are there. They are no longer maintained. When I was there, I appointed a contractor whose responsibility was to come to school like the children.”

Both men have been involved in what many believed to be a ‘lingering quarrel’, even in the face of the clash between the security details attached to both men when their convoys came head to head in November.

On November 11, the security operatives attached to Amaechi made up of men of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) had reportedly knocked down Wike’s Escort Rider apparently in a way to make way for the former governor.

The incident, which occurred at Nwanja junction in Trans Amadi area in Port Harcourt, was later brought to a halt after the chief security detail to Governor Wike physically chased the SARS operatives away.

Magu, Daura Appear Before Senate Panel

Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu and the Director General of the DSS, Lawal Daura, are before a Senate panel to discuss the clash between EFCC and DSS officials.

The clash began when operatives of the EFCC attempted to arrest former head of NIA, Mr Ayo Oke, and the former DSS DG, Ita Ekpeyong on November 21.

It was gathered that the EFCC operatives had arrived at the official residences of the former heads of the agencies located at numbers 21 and 46, Mamman Nasir Street in Asokoro, Abuja to effect the arrest only to meet resistance by the operatives of the NIA and DSS.

Read Also: DSS, NIA Operatives Stop EFCC From Arresting Oke, Ekpeyong

Thereafter, the Senate on November 22 mandated an ad-hoc committee to investigate the cause of the incident and report back to it.

Subsequently, the EFCC stated that it had obtained two separate warrants from a court to arrest the former bosses, adding that it also got the permission of the court to search their residences.

Reacting to the situation afterward, the EFCC boss, Magu, said there is no going back on the plan to have the former heads of the security agencies arrested.

“We are not discouraged at all. The law must take its course, nobody is above the law,” he said.

Ekpeyong who served as the head of the DSS from 2010 to 2015, had been invited by the EFCC for his alleged role in the arms scam involving a former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki (retired), and other service chiefs who have since been arraigned.

Oke, on the other hand, was recently sacked by President Muhammadu Buhari over the N13 billion found in an Ikoyi, Lagos apartment, said to belong to the NIA.

Osun Assembly Cancels Arrest Warrant Against Former Comm. Muyiwa Ige

…Says the issue has been solved

By Nofisat Adeoye

The State of Osun House of Assembly has cancelled the arrest warrant issued against late Chief Bola Ige’s son and a former Commissioner for Lands, Physical Planning and Urban Development, Hon. Muyiwa Ige.

The Assembly had issued the arrest warrant against Ige when he allegedly failed to appear before the House on a land matter in Ilobu.

However, in a release signed by the Chairman, House Committee On Information And Strategy, Honourable Olatunbosun Oyintiloye, the house said Ige has eventually appeared before it and that the issue has been resolved.

According to the release, “Sequel to an earlier statement issued on Wednesday,13th December, 2017, on the above subject, the State of Osun Assembly under the leadership of the Speaker, Rt. Honourable Najeem Salam wishes to inform the general public that Arc. Olumuyiwa Ige has appeared before the House and has stated his part on the issue in contention with the State of Osun House of Assembly Leadership and Members.

“It is important to clearly state that the former Commissioner for Land, Physical Planning and Urban Development, Arc. Olumuyiwa Ige, has cleared the issue with the State House of Assembly.”

NECO Releases 2017 Nov/Dec GCE Results

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has released 2017 November/December External Senior School Certificate Examination results.

Prospective candidates are expected to purchase NECO result checking scratch card before proceeding to check their results online,

Cards are available in all NECO offices.

How To Check Result…

1)Go to NECO result checking portal http://www.mynecoexams.com/results/default.aspx

2)Select your examination type i.e. Nov/Dec

3)Select your year of examination i.e. 2017

4)Enter the result checking scratch card PIN number in the required column

5)Enter your examination number

Finally, click on Check My Result button to access your 2017 NECO GCE result

Osun Govt. Appoints Two New Monarchs

By Nofisat Adeoye

The Government of the State of Osun has approved the appointment of Prince Agboluaje Cornelius Omisade as the Oloja of Ibodi in Atakumosa West Local Government Area and the appointment of Prince Samuel Adeniyi Olaniyan as Edigbon of Edemosi in Ila Local Government Area of the state.

This was contained in a release issued at the end of the state executive council weekly meeting and signed by the media adviser to the Governor, Mr Sola Fasure.

Fasure said “Council approved the appointment of Prince Agboluaje Cornelius Omisade as the Oloja of Ibodi in Atakumosa West Local Government Area. Prince Omisade’s candidature was unopposed, having been presented as the sole candidate by Otemuyi Ogasa Ruling House. Council congratulated and wished him a peaceful and successful reign.

“Council also approved the appointment of Prince Samuel Adeniyi Olaniyan as Edigbon of Edemosi Ila Local Government Area. Prince Olaniyan was the choice of the kingmakers from among the five candidates presented by the Edigbon Ruling House. Council congratulated and wished him a peaceful and successful reign.

The State Government also urged residents to desist from using newspapers and polythene to package food, saying the act is likely to cause harm to the body system.

“Council received report of the harmful health implications of continued use of polythene, especially when it is used to wrap hot food before or after cooking. Council strongly urged members of the public to discontinue this practice and use traditional food wrapping leaves (Eweeran and Ewe Gbodogi) in its place.

“These two leaves contain spices which are medicinal. Farmers are also encouraged to cultivate these leaves in commercial quantity. However, in the quest for using alternatives, food vendors must avoid using newspapers to wrap hot food, since newspapers contain substances which are harmful when ingested with food.” the release read in part.

Buhari/Osinbajo 2019 Endorsement Posters Flood Abuja

Major streets of Abuja were on Thursday adorned with campaign posters endorsing President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo for reelection in 2019.

The posters were pasted on structures located on major streets as well as bus shelters.

The posters also has the picture of “Comrade Felix Ubokan”, with the words: “ We endorse you for 2019: Courtesy: Niger Delta Youths, Women and Security Movement For Buhari/Osinbajo”.

The posters are coming less than 24 hours after a former governor of Lagos state, Bola Tinubu, said he had ”absolute confidence and was exceedingly proud of the excellent job, Professor Osinbajo is doing as Vice President of Nigeria.”

Mr. Tinubu’s statement was in reaction to speculation that he may be picked by Mr. Buhari as his running mate in 2019.

The APC national leader said a report to that effect by SUN newspaper is a “classic case of utterly and irredeemably-fake news”.

Mr. Osinbajo has so far not made any comment regarding the 2019 election or his fate if the president chooses to seek re-election.
That, however, is not the case with Mr. Buhari.

He has so far tacitly shown on two occasions that he may be seeking reelection in 2019.

Addressing a group of Nigerians resident in Cote D’ Ivoire two weeks ago, Mr. Buhari said he arrived the meeting late because he had to wait for the two governors in his entourage, Udom Emmanuel of Akwa Ibom and Mohammed Abubakar of Bauchi states.

“This is why I came along with them so that when we are going to meet you, when you are going to meet the rest of Nigerians, if you tell them that their governors were in the company of the president, I think that will be another vote for me in the future,” Buhari said.

Tinubu also accompanied him on that trip.

Buhari while in Kano last week also revealed that he may re-contest.

At a State Banquet in his honour, the president said, “I know the elections (2019). If they are to be free and fair, if it is a question of numbers, if it is a question of allowing people to make their choice, then I think the people of Kano are in my pocket.”

”I am overwhelmed by the reception the people of Kano offered to me. This has indicated that I can still win an election in Kano. The people of Kano are aware of the tremendous job we did on security and agriculture.”

MURIC Accuses “Corrupt Politicians” Of Trying To Kill Magu

A Muslim group, the Muslim Rights Concern has revealed those attempting to eliminate the Chairman of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Ibrahim Magu.

The group, while threatening that heads would roll if anything happened to Magu, accused powerful corrupt politicians of trying hard to silence Magu forever.

MURIC, in a statement on Wednesday, signed by Professor Ishaq Akintola, leader of the group, lamented that powerful corrupt politicians want to eliminate the EFCC boss.

It could be recalled that unknown gunmen attacked Magu’s residence in Karchi Abuja two days ago, which led to the death of his police security officer.

MURIC’s statement reads, “Unknown gunmen have again attacked the house of the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr. Ibrahim Magu. A police sergeant on duty was reportedly killed on the property located at Karshi, an Abuja suburb two days ago.

“Being the third attempt on the life of the EFCC boss this year alone, there is no iota of doubt at this time that a powerful corrupt person or persons whose case or cases are being investigated are determined to eliminate the no-nonsense anti-graft fighter.

“The handwriting is on the wall and the Federal Government must give marching orders to the nation’s security agencies to leave no stone unturned in the mission to protect Magu. Some powerful people just want him out of the way by hook or by crook. They want anyone else except Magu as head of the EFCC.

“This man should not just be sacrificed like that. He is not fighting a personal battle. He is on a mission to rescue Nigeria from the abyss of moral debauchery. He is fighting for both the present and future generations. Corruption must not be allowed to win the battle. Nigerians will lose hope in this war if the arrowhead is eliminated. We believe it is high time FG read the riot act to the security agencies. Heads must roll if anything happens to Magu.

“MURIC demands round-the-clock impregnable security network around the person of Magu, his house as well as members of his nuclear family, no more, no less. No option should be underestimated, including his consumables and the possibility of the use of explosives anywhere around his vicinity. This is not asking for too much because any successor of Magu will have been intimidated if the latter is eventually eliminated. The implication of this for the war against graft is better imagined.”

Alao Akala, Folarin, Others To Officially Join APC Saturday

The All Progressives Congress, APC, will welcome to its fold, former governor of Oyo State, Chief Adebayo Alao-Akala; former Senate leader, Senator Teslim Folarin and former Secretary to the State Government, Chief Ayodele Adigun, on Saturday.

Also expected to join the party were Ambassador Taofeek Arapaja, Honourable Segun Odebunmi, Rauf Olaniyan, Honourable Ayoola Makanjuola, Alhaji Rasaq Gbadegesin, alongside their supporters, at a ceremony tagged “mother of all defections in the politics of Oyo State.”

Akala, who defected to the Labour Party, LP, from the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in 2014, is set to join the ruling APC alongside other bigwigs in the state.

This was made known through a statement issued in Ibadan on Wednesday by the state publicity secretary of the party, Olawale Sadare and made available to newsmen.

Sadare said, “Some of the political bigwigs who had joined APC since last year and a whole lot of others just coming in would be unveiled during a rally at Mapo Hall, Ibadan, on Saturday.”

The Spokesperson added that, “with the calibre of those expected to join the party, it could be concluded that the battle over who takes over from Governor Abiola Ajimobi, would be fought and won only within APC.”

Maryam Sanda’s Trial Resumes

The trial of Maryam Sanda, the woman who allegedly killed her husband in Abuja has commenced at the Federal High Court Jabi.

She is being arraigned alongside her mother Maimuna Sanda, her brother Aliyu Sanda and one Sadiya.

They are standing trial on two counts of culpable homicide and tampering with the scene of crime, to which they all entered a not guilty plea.

Subsequently, their counsel, Mr Joseph Daudu, requested for bail, with a medical report attached to the application, noting that the court should consider the fact that Sanda is a nursing mother.

For the other defendants, Mr Daudu also argued that the offence for which they are standing trial is bailable.

The prosecutor, however, relied on his counter-affidavit to ask the court to deny bail. Mr Jacob Idachaba argued that while he sympathizes with the baby, it is not sufficient reason to ask for bail.

As for the other three defendants, he argued that they ought to be in prison custody pending the determination of their trial, but however, left the bail decision to the discretion of the court.

Ruling has been adjourned to 3:00 pm.